2017/08/20 23:23:52
tonyzub999
I have a a couple Focusrite interfaces which offers a free plug in suite from Softube. The problem is that you have to agree to have an ILok account and use Gobbler. I noticed that many of you have complained about both of these things. So my question is whether the Softube plug-ins are good enough to put up with the problems from these two. I have all the plug-ins that come with SPLAT, plus Focusrite Red, Scarlett, and Midnight suite plus a number of high quality hardware boxes. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
2017/08/20 23:44:57
Piotr
I have only  1 Softube plugin (also free) and it is great but my coll had their implementation of tubtech and loved it. I believe if you have a chance for getting for free their plugs its worth especially you can also have 2 free Slate great free plugins also requiring ilok.
People are complaining but iLok is not such evil thing at all. Just you are putting in free USB port at back of your comp, install soft and forget. Gobbler you can disable or uninstall later on. I believe pace driver is only real requirement for ilok.
2017/08/21 00:24:36
kennywtelejazz
What you are asking about is a very personal decision.  The mere mention of an iLock can be a very polarizing topic depending on who decides to chime into your thread .

Having said that I was in a similar situation as you .

I have the 2i4 and I also run the most current up to date version of SPlat...no Gobbler BTW...if that matters .
I held off w the iLock until last year and it was due to Focusrite offering some really nice plugs for free that I have finally bit and installed an i Lock on one of my computers ....
Some of the free plugs they were offering were just way out of my wallets comfort range and I wanted to get a feel for a few brands of musical tools & software that I was locked out of due to not having an iLock..

After having the i Lock installed for about a year on one computer , my impression and overall vibe is the i Lock seems to be working out for me so far ....I have no regrets .( still only on one computer )

After installing an i Lock I was able to go All Out Gung Ho and pick up some Krazy software deals on 3 rd party plugs and VST instruments from vendors that require the i Lock for activation ...

At some point I may go with the hardware dongle .
The truth is I'm in no rush ....

I don't know if my post is of any help to you ...anyway good luck too you in what ever you decide to do .

Kenny

2017/08/21 02:30:21
Hangdog Cat
I've heard some iLok horror stories, but so far so good for me (knock wood), and I've been using an iLok for at least 6 years.

I want software developers to be paid for their work, and so far the iLok is the best way to be reasonably certain of that.

I say give it a shot. You'll be opening up a whole new world of iLok-only software.
2017/08/21 06:47:06
Shambler
I've had an iLok for around 10 years and no problem here either...the only time I remember it is there is when EW Play want to do an update and the iLok usually gets updated then too with new PACE drivers.
2017/08/21 09:42:24
Zargg
Hi. I have iLok on both my studio pc, and laptop. Dongle in the studio, and software version on my laptop. Had it for a few years now, and I haven't had any issues with it at all. Moving licences around is easy as well.
I do check for updates regularly, and update when new version is out.
All the best.
Edit: I tried Gobbler, but had trouble logging in at times, so I removed it. I download directly from the manufacturer. 
2017/08/21 10:48:32
fireberd
I had an iLok fail. Fortunately it was under the Sweetwater 2 year warranty and they replaced it (actually paid for one that Pace sold me as a replacement).  I haven't had any other problems with iLok  (that I originally got because of trying ProTools) but I refuse to buy (or free) any new VST's that require iLok.  I don't need the mobility of the iLok dongle as I only use it on my desktop DAW.   I recently moved my Izotope apps (e.g. Ozone) off of iLok as they offer other ways to register.  The only thing I have left on iLok that I really use is POD Farm 2 and there is no option for that other than iLok.  I have a couple of other (older) VST's that I don't or rarely use so no big deal with those.

I have some Focusrite equipment and the free monthly add-ons were nothing I really needed and I never downloaded any of them.
2017/08/21 12:02:29
cclarry
Many years ago iLok was a real PAIN.  That has changed.  It
has been quite stable.  As with any software, it can still have
issues, but they seem to address these in a timely manner.

Many software vendors are now allowing you to Computer authorize
with the iLok software, which eliminates the expense of the dongle,
but, with the dongle, you can move from PC to PC by just moving the
dongle, which has it's advantages.

I have been virtually problem free for several years now, so feel confident
to say that it's relatively safe now...as opposed to several years ago, when
it was problematic
2017/08/21 13:34:15
abacab
The iLok License Manager runs in software only, no hardware dongle required.

I have some product licenses that require iLok, but they came with 2 activations each.  So for me this works fine, because I can install and authorize on both my desktop and my laptop.  The only two computers I move between.

I am running a current version of iLok on Windows 10 and see no sign of any driver conflicts with anything on my system.
2017/08/21 13:59:17
BassDaddy
My iLok story is just like Kenny's. I was maybe more anti than the the Mangulator. I have used the authorize to computer for a few years now and no problems. I bought the dongle to take advantage of some free, and very good software, and I have not had any problems. My thoughts are: what was a pain in the rear 10 years ago on Windows XP is no longer an issue. For most people. I have made my peace with iLok.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account