• Software
  • Now I remember why I hate iLok
2015/12/27 14:10:39
dubdisciple
I hate to rant , but this is ridiculous. After a horrible experience with dongles in general and dealing with Pace's malware-like software (i dare you to simply uninstall it without having to dig deep in your registry), I swore off any product requiring the product/software. I decided to give another try last year and felt it was somewhat improved. Spoke too soon. I keep getting "service unavailable. ..install lates version..." .Needless to say it chose to do this right at the tail end of a project. I tried reinstalling. I tried switching to the automatic with delay setting in services. Same message. I have a couple decent plugins that use iLok, but experiences like this make me want to seriously think twice before putting myself in position to have a third party deny me use of my own software.
2015/12/27 14:57:49
WallyG
Never used iLok, never will...

Walt
2015/12/27 15:08:57
ampfixer
iLock is a deal breaker for me. Too bad because I love the Softube products.
2015/12/27 16:00:36
LaszloZoltan
here too, I'm going to pay to have a lock installed on my pc ? forget that nonsense- not worth it.
2015/12/27 16:09:20
Grem
ampfixer

iLock is a deal breaker for me. Too bad because I love the Softube products.

Same here. A deal breaker

LaszloZoltan

here too, I'm going to pay to have a lock installed on my pc ? forget that nonsense- not worth it.

Excellent point!!
2015/12/27 16:32:25
Fleer
Got it for free and use it for Slate Digital but I'm waiting for the drop.
OTOH, you'll have to admit that UAD uses one formidable kind of iLok.
2015/12/27 16:37:09
Grem
Fleer

..... you'll have to admit that UAD uses one formidable kind of iLok.

But at least they give you some processing power to help out!! : )
2015/12/27 16:48:42
Vastman
Been using iLok for years.  Never had a problem...aside from the old software which was cludgy, difficult for this idot to understand, and thus, a HUGE time waster.  However, since they revamped their entire system, it is painless for me and all the folks using it....  I am sorry for your problems, but they are unique and the flaming is from ignorant people who have no idea what they're talking about (no offense)

You can easily just move licences to your "computer" rather than I lok. You don't need an iLok any more,...

I have many iLok products... I totally understand the use of this as so many rip people off and destroy the very companies I love.

Don't know what ur problem is, Dub... internet?  updating to latest is always optional here.  Software is way improved... took me 10 minutes to download Bohemian Violin, authorize it while downloading... painless.  Kinda sucks that this occured over xmas as I'm sure customer service is down.

Most feel this is the instrument of the year.  I agree.  Without Ilok this amazing creation would be cracked in a week, as NI stuff routinely is.

Am I saddened that this is necessary?  Of course. But we live in a messed up world.  iLok is the least of my worries and I think all posting here, aside from Dub... who is naturally frustrated... are idiots.

2015/12/27 16:57:50
Fleer
Vastman
 Without Ilok this amazing creation would be cracked in a week, as NI stuff routinely is.

Well, iLok2 is too, as of last week. And you can find all those iLok-secured plugins for free. There you go. 
Seems the only one who's punished is the one who buys his stuff.

2015/12/27 17:20:33
Vastman
It's pretty insane, Fleer... but I disagree with your premise or wordage... I have not been punished at all.  You could say this about anything... and it's ridiculous... identify the rare instance of a problem and extrapolate to the entire universe of users...

Logically flawed... and it is exactly what flaming is all about in many cases......the few who have a problem with SPlat and then go on to rant and rave, swear it off, and leave...  then all the others who pile on, saying Yea!

Those working to "crack" generally oppose the free market system and want/dream of a day when everything is truly "free"...  It's funny but I also kinda dream of this... the Trek universe where there is NO money...I've said many times I would garden in a world of no money and free exchange... because I love what I do.  But we all gotta pay bills... it sucks... and blah blah blah...

iLok is just one of many attempts to protect the creator... you can rant all ya want or work to remake the world so money grubbing planet raping unfettered capitalism is eliminated.   I focus on the latter while trying to survive in the world which exists at the moment...

I appreciate Dub's frustration with the difficulty he's encountered with a particular type of measure taken to protect developers... however, I am quite certain that in the current universe of iLok users, such problems are rare or user/computer related.  And again, just like all other protection system, you can now authorize ON YOUR COMPUTER without the dreaded iLok.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account