• Software
  • Now I remember why I hate iLok (p.6)
2015/12/31 13:32:44
scook
If you look at the link, you will see a post by CraigA. Don't follow the link to his review if you want a Vox amp.
2015/12/31 13:56:54
AllanH
I really wish I didn't have to deal with (and worry about) iLok. Theft must be a significant issue given how much pain and irritation vendors choose to inflict on paying customers to keep pirating limited.

From past experience, running a company where I worried about pirating, I learned that focusing on the paying customer is the better approach. Make your products, including support and updates, worth paying for, and pirating naturally becomes less of an issue.

2015/12/31 14:21:44
kitekrazy1
dubdisciple
If anyone has a study showing any company that was experiencing significant drop in sales making a rapid spike in sales following implementation of iLok type systems, I would love to see. The more successful companies using it seem to be companies that were very successful prior to implementation.

IK Multimedia, Izotope.  No study needed.  Izotope had floods of emails and only their products for Pro Tools are dongled.
2015/12/31 14:31:07
kitekrazy1
AllanH
I really wish I didn't have to deal with (and worry about) iLok. Theft must be a significant issue given how much pain and irritation vendors choose to inflict on paying customers to keep pirating limited.

From past experience, running a company where I worried about pirating, I learned that focusing on the paying customer is the better approach. Make your products, including support and updates, worth paying for, and pirating naturally becomes less of an issue.

I bought an iLok because of free products. Amp Farm was my first iLok product. I got other freebies. I would bet this is on behalf of Pace because of their history.  I believe Waves made their plugins affordable and some free because of their WUP a decade ago.
2015/12/31 14:53:35
pentimentosound
LOL Steve! I'm working on "both".

Thanks for the link
Michael
2015/12/31 22:42:52
dubdisciple
Unfortunately, the startup delay trick is not working but thanks anyway.  I understand that all software is subject to go haywire for some and not others. This particular one just bugs me because it is not the software that is buggy, but another separate company holding me hostage.  Something is really wrong when i could have a pirated version up and working quicker than what  legally own. Something is wrong when pirates are more successful in running software i won than i am.  i am hoping my experience is not common and i certainly don't begrudge people for using iLok.  In some circles it is absolutely necessary.
2016/01/01 10:13:18
kitekrazy1
dubdisciple
Unfortunately, the startup delay trick is not working but thanks anyway.  I understand that all software is subject to go haywire for some and not others. This particular one just bugs me because it is not the software that is buggy, but another separate company holding me hostage.  Something is really wrong when i could have a pirated version up and working quicker than what  legally own. Something is wrong when pirates are more successful in running software i won than i am.  i am hoping my experience is not common and i certainly don't begrudge people for using iLok.  In some circles it is absolutely necessary.

Did you google for solutions? I know my problem was a bit more common dating searches back to 2009 and even on Mac platforms. Something seems in your OS may be blocking some files or services. Check your Windows Firewall as well. For some reason unknown my iLok manager gets corrupted over time. 
2016/01/01 13:48:36
dubdisciple
Kitekrazy. I have tried several. Will keep looking. Uninstalling completely worked for a day and then it went right back to error
2016/01/02 00:11:51
mudgel
kitekrazy1
dubdisciple
If anyone has a study showing any company that was experiencing significant drop in sales making a rapid spike in sales following implementation of iLok type systems, I would love to see. The more successful companies using it seem to be companies that were very successful prior to implementation.

IK Multimedia, Izotope.  No study needed.  Izotope had floods of emails and only their products for Pro Tools are dongled.

Actually iZotope offer iLok authorization as an option to Challenge/Response. I know because I chose iLok so I can more easily move between computers.

IK Multimedia is the biggest pain to authorise the first time when you've moved to another/new computer.
2016/01/02 00:20:18
Grem
mudgel

IK Multimedia is the biggest pain to authorise the first time when you've moved to another/new computer.

I find that with IK, you can enter as many serial numbers as you need to authorize all at the same time. 

Toontrack is the PITA because you have to do each one separate. When you have all these ezx packs, midi packs, for ezd2 and ezk, that drags on and on! Unless it's changed, I dread doing that when I update to Win10 here in the next few months.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account