• Software
  • Now I remember why I hate iLok (p.7)
2017/08/13 02:46:26
jonnewyork
What actually makes me angry is that Pace, in its hubris and arrogance doesn't just shut down a few plugins that use it, but because or their own shtty DRM software I can't access Sonar at all.

And after reinstalling and unzipping the manager, following the "wizard" instructions, restarting the computer, I still can't access Sonar. I get buried in an avalanche of error messages telling me basically that I can't access Sonar because of how fkd up their software is.

I've got 10 months of "Slate Everything" and after that I think I'll be able to swear off anything that needs a dongle, especially one that turns into garbage and takes my whole studio with it every few months.

2017/08/14 19:01:53
kitekrazy1
TerraSin
I've said it many times: I like the idea behind iLok and security dongles, but I despise the unethical business practices of PACE. If your iLok ever goes down (or your hard drive crashes that you had licenses on), it becomes a battle to retrieve your licenses if you're not feeding them money for ZDT. It's a complete scam because they hit both the producers of the program and the consumer for money, then have the balls to demand more money from the consumer to regain access if something happens.

See VSL's policy with elicenser issues.  Lose it and you would have to pay 50% of your licenses to retrieve them.  I posted on this site more than once about Spectrasonic's attitude towards dongles.  Hard to believe that is coming from a developer. 
 If you are going into software development assume your work will get pirated.  All of those developers that create loops libraries get their stuff pirated all of the time. They keep moving on.  The same goes with Image-Line and Cakewalk.  They have managed to survive and probably make more friends than enemies with service after the sale.
2017/08/14 19:27:14
soens
iLok=flimsy bicycle cable lock. Keeps honest people honest but not those who own big wire cutters.

My bike lock was a total waste of money!

iLock is just another excuse to charge money for something you don't need. 90%+ of the industry doesn't use it. There are other means to fight piracy. I have no iLok and no software that requires it. And never will!

It's bad enough companies like NI offer a "free" player, then make instrument makers require its $FULL$ version to play their instruments when it's totally unnecessary. They'd be miles ahead if they just sold the full version for $25-50 and scrap the free one altogether. Then again, they make so much on everything else they could offer the full version for free and still make money.
2017/08/15 23:52:19
JohnKenn
Soens,

Wish I had your discipline to resist. I have caved in and purchased maybe four I-lok items against better judgement, one of which I don't have a reliable I-Crak backup for. A couple I authorized thru the "legal" channels and the hassle of subsequent error messages, failed starts, missing authorization jargon, messages to go buy another license if I want to use the plug had me just give it up and do what was not entirely legal, but moral in my book. No more PACE threats from those plugs. Replaced a motherboard a few months back and learned how forked up and insane the I-Lok system can be.

Just got an email from Soundtoys with the following quote:

"If you are running Soundtoys 5.0.1 or earlier and have not installed iLok License Manager version 3.1.6 or later, you must install a critical update to continue using your Soundtoys plug-ins."

Cool, I would comply but don't own anything Soundtoys exactly because of edicts like this. Don't know how I got on their junk mail list.

Good Lord bless the Reapers, Hornets, Valhallas and others out there that have written it into their business creed not to inflict harm on their end users. Have had a lot of crashes over time and dumped authorizations. These companies have allowed me to rebuild and recover without an internet connection and without begging. That higher direction gets the support of my credit card.

John

2017/08/16 13:37:34
Zo
i was on the same boat and state of mind , but for real i have zero issues and more important after having zillions of plugins , i've found ilok ones to be the fastest install when i need to build a new comp or some , just install and forget , how many times with other brands i need to install for each product acenter , serial , online deactivation ,reactivation on new system ect .....for real , it has bad and cons , i used to think only bads , but for now with the local licencing (no usb dongle needed) we're closer to other solutions ....
2017/08/16 14:37:25
Vastman
Zo, u nailed it!

Sorry, all u whiners...poo pooing  piracy and it's impact on small developer's is just ignorant as is the perpetual whining about efforts to combat this. So many lazy self righteous douchebags!

We are blessed with magical tools. I'll go thru the small amount of effort needed/chosen by those who create them to enable them to survive. The level of entitlement spewed at all levels will be the death of our species... another case in point is this never ending whine...

Lots of real crap to be upset about... this? It is embarassing!
2017/08/17 12:59:58
soens
I agree... iLok IS embarrassing!!!

BTW, ICYDK name calling is against the TOS and punishable by 50 lashings with 4 wet noodles followed by a 20 min. mud bath in the swamps of Louieland. (read the fine print. it's in there somewhere, I knows it.)
2017/08/17 13:23:06
pathos
Vastman
Zo, u nailed it!

Sorry, all u whiners...poo pooing  piracy and it's impact on small developer's is just ignorant as is the perpetual whining about efforts to combat this. So many lazy self righteous douchebags!

We are blessed with magical tools. I'll go thru the small amount of effort needed/chosen by those who create them to enable them to survive. The level of entitlement spewed at all levels will be the death of our species... another case in point is this never ending whine...

Lots of real crap to be upset about... this? It is embarassing!

Spoken like a true professional
2017/08/17 19:07:59
dubdisciple
i cant believe this thread got resurrected.  i did eventually resolve my issue after a lot of frustration.  Still hate ilok and still think it is pissing upstream and impacts customers far more than it does pirates, but it's a silly thing to argue and call people names about. For hose who like iklok, go for it.  For those who don't there are plenty of alternatives that will get the job done.
2017/08/17 21:37:06
cclarry
I think you'll see a lot more of the iLok computer authorization scheme,
as opposed to the dongle.  iLok keeps their business, people don't get so
frustrated, and it's less expensive without having to buy the iLok
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account