• Software
  • Line 6 Helix Native is coming.... (p.2)
2017/08/09 19:16:06
reginaldStjohn
I follow the threads over at Line6 about this as well. I am looking forward to the plugin and it will be reasonably priced for me because I have a Helix.

However, I find it funny that they sent out a notification for this when it is not available yet. We have known for months that it was coming. They initially said by the end of spring. Just tell me when it is here.
2017/08/09 21:12:16
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Thanks for info. I have actually put a helix hardware unit on order just yesterday and assuming I will like/keep it, 99 USD for the native version would be ok - if it does not require the helix hardware connected as a dongle.

I did quite like the pod farm stuff how it put the same options onto your DAW which you knew from the hardware unit (and vice versa) but hated that it requires USB connection of the hardware unit ... why drag in the full rack and rig it up if you have the same options native ?
2017/08/10 02:15:51
wst3
I'm pretty firmly in the Helix camp, so a software version is very intriguing!
I haven't been a modeler type, I picked up a used Pod XT Pro a couple years ago for a pit band gig, and it was fun, and dang it was easy and portable and...

But it didn't sound as good as I had hoped. I tried a Helix this past spring and bought one. This still won't replace my amps and pedals, but I'm getting tired of dragging all that gear around, and there are things the Helix can do that the rest of my gear can't.

I'm looking forward to the software version!
2017/08/11 23:33:38
mumpcake
Will it have PACE "protection"?
2017/08/12 03:24:56
SF_Green
cclarry
clintmartin

Helix Native will be a big hit. 

That will be purely dependent on price.  Chances are it will be outrageously priced
due to the price point of the Helix Hardware unit.  But one can hope...

Yes, indeed.  I am still flabbergasted by the price of the Helix.
2017/08/12 03:28:34
SF_Green
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
Thanks for info. I have actually put a helix hardware unit on order just yesterday and assuming I will like/keep it, 99 USD for the native version would be ok - if it does not require the helix hardware connected as a dongle.

I did quite like the pod farm stuff how it put the same options onto your DAW which you knew from the hardware unit (and vice versa) but hated that it requires USB connection of the hardware unit ... why drag in the full rack and rig it up if you have the same options native ?

I get around this by having a Line6 TonePort DI as the audio interface for my multimedia speakers for Windows.  Also, stores the authorizations for my Line6 software.  Plus, it's nice having that nice big volume knob to hand for volume adjustments.

2017/08/14 16:03:56
bapu
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
I did quite like the pod farm stuff how it put the same options onto your DAW which you knew from the hardware unit (and vice versa) but hated that it requires USB connection of the hardware unit

Hmmmmm My pod farm native uses iLok. Much smaller dongle to have to carry/lug around.

Bear in mind I never had the hardware version, I just jumped to the software version directly.
2017/08/14 17:24:02
Jim Roseberry
SF_Green
Yes, indeed.  I am still flabbergasted by the price of the Helix.

Helix was specifically designed to compete with higher-end guitar processors that had set new quality standards (Kemper and Axe-FX).
Kemper was the first "amp-sim" where I felt the tone/response was as good as a tube amp.
That lead me to checking out the Axe-FX II XL+... and ultimately settling on the Helix.

Never liked the POD-HD series.
Helix is in a whole different league... both sound/response and the UI.

Given the competition and how it stacks up, I think the cost is reasonable.
You can get the LT version for $1000 (same sound/models).  The "full" Helix is $1500.

Helix covers a LOT of ground (both live and recording).  
The form-factor and I/O are super flexible.
For me, it's easy to justify the cost... as it makes playing live and recording so much more convenient.
I used to take a 40-60 pound tube head... and a 60 pound 2x12 cab to gigs... (plus a keyboard and my vocal gear).
Now, it's just the Helix... and it sounds great for dirty, clean, and acoustic guitar.
We also fly-in small bits of audio.  Helix foot-switches can be programmed to send MIDI data (no need for extra triggers cluttering the stage).

Creating/tweaking sounds with Helix is super easy.  The touch-sensitive switches make navigation fast.
ie: Want to tweak the delay?  Touch the switch assigned to the delay... and all parameters are available to tweak.
The delay hasn't yet been assigned to a switch?  Highlight the delay block... and touch the desired switch for a couple of seconds.  You'll be asked if you want to assign the delay to that switch.  Press OK and it's assigned.

Need to make radical tonal/EFX changes for the solo section?
Using SnapShots, you can do this with the press of a single foot-switch.
No more tap-dancing to kick on the delay, boost, etc.

I've played many gigs with the Kemper, Axe-FX, and Helix.
All are capable of great sounding results.
The form-factor... and flexibility are why I continue to use Helix.

2017/08/14 20:40:10
tonyzub999
Glad you pointed out the LT version has the same sound engine, just a couple fewer i/o options. I picked mine up for less than list by using the total $ discounts at Sam Ash. They offer them fairly frequently. You know, the spend $500 and get $100 off deals. I got the pedal for about $800. I will wait to see if there's an advantage to getting the software also.
2017/08/15 02:37:15
SF_Green
Thanks Jim.  It was interesting and informative to hear your perspective.  Most of my usage is for recording, so it makes less sense for me.  I'll consider the plugin though, but will definitely be waiting for a discount.

Cheers
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account