• Software
  • Line 6 Helix Native is coming.... (p.6)
2017/08/17 21:35:22
cclarry
Good info!  Thanx!
2017/08/18 14:19:59
Jim Roseberry
Here's the same clip with a darker MESA 4x12 cab:
www.studiocat.com/temp/Helix_Native_mesa_4x12.mp3

2017/08/19 13:11:23
wst3
I'm with Jim on this... I have several amplifiers (although I am envious of Jim's collection<G>!), and a ton of pedals, way too many really. Lugging all that gear around has become less appealing over the years, and yet that's how I get the sounds I like.

I picked up a used PodXTPro or whatever the rack version was called, used it for a couple pit bands, it was ok, and it made life easier for the production staff, so, well, ok.

A friend who has trustworthy ears, and who is a mighty fine player, had been raving about the Helix. He traded a stack of very nice amplifiers and cabinets for the Helix. Hmm... might be something to this (or he had become even lazier than me?)

I've had my Helix for about six months now. I'm in no way a guru, and if I am recording something I still fall back to my amps, pedals, and microphones. But if I were going to play out I think I'd give the Helix a try.

The biggest improvement, for me at least, was the ability to have two amplifiers, two signal chains really. I do that in real life, and was very disappointed that I could not do that with the Pod. The models themselves seem to have been tweaked - to their advantage - as well.

I haven't gotten so deep that I'm using my own IRs, but my impression is that it will be a big help, I've tried a couple that I found on the net, and I will certainly try Jim's (and while that might make me sound a little like Jim - which would be a benefit), but clearly I'm going to need to use my own.

The thing with any of these modelling devices/software is that we need to remember that we didn't plug into our complete rig the first time and think it was perfect. No reason to think software will remove the time and effort required.

So, to the  OP, for $100 I am sorely tempted to try the native version. Even if it only lets me experiment with patches more quickly it is probably worth it. Downloaded the installer this morning and will take it for a spin over the weekend.
2017/08/19 13:27:49
wst3
Just out of curiosity Jim - are you doing anything tricky when you record your impulse responses?

I use Voxengo Impulse Modeler and Deconvolver to play around with IRs. Too much? Too little?
2017/08/19 15:19:24
Genghis
Nice tones there Jim. Sounds like you know how to get the most out of this type of thing!  I was thinking of installing the demo just for the heck of it, but remembered I have a business trip after next week, so I will wait til that is over.

I had an Axe-FX Ultra, then a II.  Haven't tried Helix, but I've heard great things about it.  I'm now using a Mesa TC50 with a cab, and a Fractal FX8 with an Eventide H9 for effects.  I generally like the sound just a touch more than what any of the modelers provide, but the main thing for me is that it got me out of the rabbit hole of trying every amp model and every IR, always looking for the holy grail of tone.  I have a fairly technical mentality, so I spent too much time experimenting to see what's around the corner.  Not completely paralyzed with options, but just a bit too curious about what else I could find.  I can generally get any tone I want to use out of my current setup, and I don't get lost in the options.

I do have a few plugins that allow for scratch tracks late at night if I need to, but I rarely have to do that.  I figure the late night sessions I can record other things, and then crank up the amp through a 4x12 during the day.  Of course, part of this is that, after being a Southern Cal apartment dweller for about 30 years, I now live in a house in Oregon that is just isolated enough that I can get a reasonable volume level to record a real amp. 
2017/08/19 17:34:53
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Got both Helix and Native version for a few days now and I'm mighty impressed with either of them.

I'm not the typical guitar player as I seriously lack skills in that area but I'm positive that this a major step forward for my needs in terms of music production as I need it also for bass, possibly route synths thru it and reamp guitar parts played by others.

I needed something that is very flexible and intuitive and Helix does come with a great UI. I browsed the manual once weeks before buying, don't think I will need it again.

Having Helix Native now allows me take the some tool/workflow/sound with me when away and all I need to carry is a small lightweight audio interface. In the studio I can reamp unlimited tracks without having to hook up the hardware unit.
2017/08/20 16:47:57
Jim Roseberry
wst3
Just out of curiosity Jim - are you doing anything tricky when you record your impulse responses?

I use Voxengo Impulse Modeler and Deconvolver to play around with IRs. Too much? Too little?

Hi Bill,

Nothing too tricky.  
Neve preamp on the front-end.
Do a lot of test captures before starting the process.
Once you've got everything dialed in and the test captures are sounding good, then capture the various mics/positions.

You'll need something to deconvolve.  The Voxengo tool works well.
2017/08/20 17:27:19
Jim Roseberry
Genghis
Nice tones there Jim. Sounds like you know how to get the most out of this type of thing!  I was thinking of installing the demo just for the heck of it, but remembered I have a business trip after next week, so I will wait til that is over.

I had an Axe-FX Ultra, then a II.  Haven't tried Helix, but I've heard great things about it.  I'm now using a Mesa TC50 with a cab, and a Fractal FX8 with an Eventide H9 for effects.  I generally like the sound just a touch more than what any of the modelers provide, but the main thing for me is that it got me out of the rabbit hole of trying every amp model and every IR, always looking for the holy grail of tone.  I have a fairly technical mentality, so I spent too much time experimenting to see what's around the corner.  Not completely paralyzed with options, but just a bit too curious about what else I could find.  I can generally get any tone I want to use out of my current setup, and I don't get lost in the options.

I do have a few plugins that allow for scratch tracks late at night if I need to, but I rarely have to do that.  I figure the late night sessions I can record other things, and then crank up the amp through a 4x12 during the day.  Of course, part of this is that, after being a Southern Cal apartment dweller for about 30 years, I now live in a house in Oregon that is just isolated enough that I can get a reasonable volume level to record a real amp. 

The Mesa TC50 is a great amp...
Combined with the FX8 and H9, that's a formidable/versatile setup.

At this point, I spend most of my time playing either that "Acoustic" patch... or the modded Marshall.
Over time, I may make slight tweaks... or change the Cab IR... but those are my basic sounds.

It took a while to get a full grasp on the Helix.
ie: Figuring out the fact that I like to high-pass the signal before going into the Amp block.
Very simple step... but makes a significant difference in the quality of the final sound.
Having the Axe-FX got me thinking about speaker compression...
Seeing what Glenn DeLaune was doing with his patches (using a LA-2A style compressor lightly - to affect feel)...
The more time I spend with Helix... the better the results.  Like any other piece of gear...  

2017/08/20 18:21:51
Zargg
Great sound(s) you got there, Jim  Somewhere in there I thought I heard my old Marshall 2550, with my 1960a cabinet 
A bit too pricey for me, though..
2017/08/20 20:31:26
Jim Roseberry
Full price on Helix Native is a bit high.
I suspect with discount it would be more palatable.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account