• Software
  • Does Waves fabricate their customer reviews? (p.6)
2017/07/27 04:25:51
sharke
Matron Landslide
Eddie TX
Thanks to Tim for responding to the conspiracy-mongering in this thread.

Cheers,
Eddie

Amen to that!!

And you can take some of the respondents remarks in this thread with a grain of salt, or perhaps a truck load of salt, especially the one(s) who have a loooooooooong track record over the years of having an agenda and being very negatively biased when it comes to Waves, and vocally anti Waves at every opportunity.

Always demo stuff and find out for yourself, it is the only way.

Well I started this thread and I'm a fan of a lot of Waves plugins. Think some of them are overrated, but there are many Waves plugins that I use on every project. I think their Element synth is one of the best VST synths available, and I also love Electric 200. I own the Gold bundle but also lots of other odds and ends, like the Aphex exciter. Not a fan of WUP and I hate their installation process, but you can't have everything. 

The reason I started this thread is because I see a lot of companies who host their own reviews on their sites these days and I just think it's wise to be very, very skeptical about them - regardless of what the company claims. Of course they're going to claim that it's all above board - they wouldn't say anything else. Yes, it's marketing. The thing that bothers me is that it's so tempting to be swayed by a bunch of glowing reviews of a plugin when you're on the fence about buying it, and every single review on the Waves site that I've read is glowing. In my experience, opinion doesn't look like this. You'll get some people who rave about it, and others who say "meh - wasn't that impressed." Research has shown that people are more likely to believe reviews when there's a few not so good ones mixed in there.

I guess my skepticism also comes from being a business owner with a website. I get reviews on Yelp and Google - mostly good, but also some complaints in there as well. I quote from reviews on my website. Do I quote the bad ones? Of course I don't! So I'm much more likely to believe the overall picture painted by reviews on sites like Yelp and Amazon than I am on a vendor's own website. 

So overall, not saying that all of the reviews on the Waves site are fabricated, just saying that the overall tone of them doesn't look like a realistic cross section of opinion. I mean you can go to Glassdoor and see reviews from Waves employees of what it's like to work there, and most of them are good but there are a couple of negative ones. Something like that looks far more believable, and as a prospective employee I wouldn't be changing my mind about working there based on a small minority of bad reviews. 
2017/07/27 05:46:34
Grem
emeraldsoul
BassDaddy
Journalists using the Internet as a source (that's not Journalism!)
News coming at you all day long
And everyone has an agenda
EVERYONE has their own spin
Everything you read should be taken with a grain of salt
You better be able to sift through the BS
You better be able to look out for your own interests
You better be able to think for yourself and make up your own mind

No fair posting excellent song lyrics as thread responses. :)

-Tom

Those are perfect lyrics! Didn't see that before. : )

Except I would add one word. Can anyone guess what word and where it would be placed?
2017/07/27 11:18:37
Zargg
Grem
emeraldsoul
BassDaddy
Journalists using the Internet as a source (that's not Journalism!)
News coming at you all day long
And everyone has an agenda
EVERYONE has their own spin
Everything you read should be taken with a grain of salt
You better be able to sift through the BS
You better be able to look out for your own interests
You better be able to think for yourself and make up your own mind

No fair posting excellent song lyrics as thread responses. :)

-Tom

Those are perfect lyrics! Didn't see that before. : )

Except I would add one word. Can anyone guess what word and where it would be placed?

Becan?: EVERYONE has their own spin on Becan
42?: Everything you read should be taken with 42 grain of salt
Monkey?: You better be able to sift through the Monkey BS
2017/07/27 14:00:54
emeraldsoul
FAKE news coming at you all day long.
2017/07/27 15:23:12
pathos
Matron Landslide
Eddie TX
Thanks to Tim for responding to the conspiracy-mongering in this thread.

Cheers,
Eddie

Amen to that!!

And you can take some of the respondents remarks in this thread with a grain of salt, or perhaps a truck load of salt, especially the one(s) who have a loooooooooong track record over the years of having an agenda and being very negatively biased when it comes to Waves, and vocally anti Waves at every opportunity.

Always demo stuff and find out for yourself, it is the only way.

Yes, demo yourself & be careful of fake news & lies that people make up here.
2017/07/27 16:32:36
Grem
Zargg

Those are real good additions too!!
2017/07/27 16:45:22
Zargg
Grem
Zargg

Those are real good additions too!!

So they weren't correct?
None of them?!?

2017/07/29 12:44:29
interpolated
I generally demo everything unless I'm inspired by what I read or hear. If no demo is available I rely on 3rd party opinions.
2017/07/29 15:44:39
DrLumen
I take the maker site 'reviews' as nothing more than testimonials. It is highly unlikely they will allow a negative review to stay. I don't really blame them for that but I know to take them with a grain of salt. The ones that really irk me are the resellers that are filtering reviews. I don't think GC will allow 1 or 2 star reviews of anything. Something could be the biggest POS on the planet but they will only show 3+ star reviews.

As to the mag reviews, they are really no different than the Amazon reviewers that got the product for free. I tend to give them more stock if they are comparing many of the same type of item than a single product review. In that instance, I find them to be more fact based than merely opinion.
2017/07/29 15:44:39
DrLumen
I take the maker site 'reviews' as nothing more than testimonials. It is highly unlikely they will allow a negative review to stay. I don't really blame them for that but I know to take them with a grain of salt. The ones that really irk me are the resellers that are filtering reviews. I don't think GC will allow 1 or 2 star reviews of anything. Something could be the biggest POS on the planet but they will only show 3+ star reviews.

As to the mag reviews, they are really no different than the Amazon reviewers that got the product for free. I tend to give them more stock if they are comparing many of the same type of item than a single product review. In that instance, I find them to be more fact based than merely opinion.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account