• The Archives
  • 64 bit MFX and DXi development: Where do I start?
2012/12/17 00:09:19
Markleford
Since I *finally* got a 64 bit PC recently, it looks like I can start the long overdue process of porting my plugins from TenCrazy.com However, it appears that Cakewalk's DXi2 SDK was last updated in January 2003, as provided here: http://www.cakewalk.com/D...e/article.aspx?aid=112 As such, I have my doubts that this SDK is compatible for x64 platform builds! So where do I start? I can certainly grab a newer version of the general DX SDK that knows about multiple architectures, but I dunno about the DXi/MFX stuff. So how does Cakewalk do it these days? Or are the MFX plugins in SONAR X# really just VST MIDI these days? Heck if I know, I still run SONAR 8.5 (32x) for my own production... Anyone have a sample project they could share? - m
2012/12/17 00:13:23
Markleford
Ah, fantastic: and the forum pulls out all the line breaks now. Looks like many things have changed during my absence... and not necessarily for the better! - m
2012/12/17 16:48:45
colinjamieson
I have been using Sonar X1 for about a year now, and have hit a point where the default midi editing just doesn't cut it. I explored CAL, and have determined that it would be very painful to do what I want in a programming environment that doesn't support user defined functions, arrays, or floating point data. I naturally turned to MFX as the preferred way to go, but have been a bit surprised by the SDK. Visual C++ 6.0. Seriously? I managed to get the MFC MFX project to compile under 2008 (after disabling the MakeHelp code), and with minor tweaks, had it compile without errors for 64-bit. I'm sure that I'm naive to think that I can just change the target platform to 64-bit and cross my fingers, but I have no knowledge of what else would have to change. I have not been successful in getting 64-bit X1 to take note of the registered dll. It would seem that extensibility of MIDI functionality is pretty low on the request list for the average user.
2012/12/17 17:45:57
Markleford
I installed the free VS Express 2012 the other day, and it seems to target x64 as well, so we'll see if it will do the trick. VC++6 served me quite well over the years, but this is probably a jump that it's incapable of making! I'll post a skeleton project if I get something working. I'm kind of wondering if Cakewalk will sort of let MFX die off without updates, like it did with CAL.
2012/12/19 03:01:21
colinjamieson
If I get something working first, I'll post it too. Presently, I'm not having a great deal of success. I spun up a 32-bit VM with XP, Visual 6.0, and an older copy of 32-bit Sonar. It took a bit of fiddling, but the MFX demo builds and works in Sonar. I've tried a variety of configurations under VS 2008, but even when I get a clean build targetting 32-bit, it won't register on my 32-bit VM. If I can figure out how to get past that issue, then I can return to targetting 64-bit.
2013/01/22 19:34:30
colinjamieson
 I'm giving up. I put in an enhancement request for a 64-bit SDK, but I'm not holding my breath.
2013/01/26 10:39:26
Markleford
Thanks for trying, and for submitting the request. I think I'm giving up as well until we can get an experienced hand to put up a demo project! - m
2013/01/27 22:38:22
colinjamieson
Please consider putting in your own request. A bit more noise couldn't hurt.
2013/02/02 14:16:42
Markleford
Well, I tried to send them a message via their "Developer Support Contact Form", but it results in an error message. THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING, AND PERHAPS REPRESENTATIVE OF CAKEWALK'S RELATIONSHIP WITH DEVELOPERS THESE DAYS. I'll try to send the message to another email and hope it gets through to someone, eventually. The main text of it follows for posterity. - m ********************* I believe that better support for MFX developers is needed if the standard is going to survive. The Cakewalk DevXchange (http://www.cakewalk.com/D.../article.aspx?aid=115) is woefully out of date: it refers to Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 as the example product! Two whole product generations later, we've yet to get an updated SDK or example projects. This makes it problematic to update my somewhat popular free 32-bit MFX offerings (http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/) to 64-bit platforms, which I've yet to figure out since buying a more modern PC. In searching for help, I've only come across one other developer in the same situation as me, looking for help on the Cakewalk Dev Forum when none is to be found. Are you going to let MFX die on the vine like CAL did? If so, I might as well give up on it now and use the time and money towards moving to another DAW with more flexible MIDI APIs. As stands, I never upgraded past SONAR 8.5 Producer, as it didn't seem that you were interested in supporting VST MIDI modules, either. It's a shame to allow potentially great tools like CAL and MFX to decay into obscurity, but it's perhaps even a crime not to replace them with something more modern. SONAR should remain a powerhouse in the MIDI department too, not just for multitrack audio. If all you're looking to do these days is ape something like Pro Tools, I'm afraid I'm just not that interested. - m
2013/02/02 14:39:34
Markleford
I had to end up submitting a feature request for SONAR X2 via http://www.cakewalk.com/s...ct/featurerequest.aspx Oh well, hopefully it'll reach someone's ears someday. Best regards, - m
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account