• Techniques
  • Mastering with the plug-in inside Sonar
2015/07/25 12:31:15
HELLYA
Hi every one
I have Sonar X3 and I want to master my songs only with things that I already own with Sonar (I think the Nomad Factory stuff is especially for mastering). But i just can’t seem to find videos, tutorials  or else that are especially dedicated to mastering with the plug-ins that come Sonar.  Any suggestions?
Thanks
2015/07/25 12:53:07
batsbrew
it can be done with those plugins,
but they are not really designed for the task.

there are better tools available,
some even free.

2015/07/25 12:55:24
HELLYA
So are they any plug-ins in Sonar for mastering?
2015/07/25 13:16:41
Wouter Schijns
yes the LP-64 in Sonar is a mastering plugin.
I would advise you to play around with that for a while before you add more mastering plugins (if you need to add any more).
The Nomad factory BT Limiter is a mastering plugin too (would not advise the Nomad Brickwall Limiter as it has no attack knob)
just want to warn you to not go blind on Youtube mastering vids and bare in mind that it's not always 'the truth' in them, but they're great to learn / pick some things from
2015/07/25 13:18:00
garyhb
Hi Hellya,

Yes, it is so that that DAW plugins generally aren't for mastering with, but then I would argue that isn't really the issue here, it's what the song needs, the type of PI you choose and how much control they give you over your content. Depending on how good your mixes are, you could get way with just a simple stereo buss compressor. However, you defo want to get a 3 or 4 band multiband compressor and a really precise multiband EQ (A multiband comp can also be used like a multiband EQ). Don't forget, Producer versions also have the linear-phase LP-64 EQ  and multiband compressors.

A couple of chains might be
e.g. buss compressor > EQ > Limiter > Reverb or
buss compressor > EQ > Multiband compressor > > Widener > >Exciter > Limiter > Reverb

And - to get a more analog/vintage sound you might add a unit offering a degree of distortion and high end roll-off somewhere in the mastering chain such as the TL-64 Tube Leveler or even the Blue Tubes Analog TrackBox or ProChannel Tape simulator. Also have a look around for free PIns.

Here's a nice intro to setting up a basic mastering chain:
http://www.musicradar.com...ain-in-your-daw-601562

Grab this for a comprehensive overview
http://downloads.izotope....MasteringWithOzone.pdf

So - listen to the mix first, decide what processing it needs and then choose the units. Remember, there are no rules, just guidelines.

One last thing - it's hard to mix your own music but if you do, take a few days, even a weeks break from those tracks to rest your ears and get them out of your head! It'll help to make you more objective. Try to take a lot of breaks. Mastering is about adding polish, not fixing - any problems need to be sorted out back in the mix. It shouldn't take more than an hour to master each song - any longer then you need to stop and rest and think about why it's not working.

Not sure if this answers your question properly but I hope it helps - all the best with it!

Gary
2015/07/25 13:43:49
Wouter Schijns
sorry, have not found a Sonar Mastering vid.....but this one helps understand Mastering basics I think/hope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53oGeuTZ6IY&list=PLzY0sjgTLt5xHBORU5SI2Dj7cf-VZdW1l&index=1

2015/07/25 18:24:18
HELLYA
Thank you all...really
2015/07/25 18:32:37
HELLYA
But isn't kinda strange that there are no vids or tutorials about mastering with Sonar?

2015/07/25 18:53:41
Danny Danzi
I master in Sonar every day. It's how I make a part of my living. That said, Sonar is not really a mastering program when you compare it to those that are more geared for mastering. I would guess that very few master in it. For example, I do my edit mastering in one program, my processing mastering in Sonar and my finalization in yet another program. They each have tools that the other does not.

There is really no set way to master something. You use the tools that are needed and they won't be the same every time. For example, I have anywhere from 9-15 plugins in my mastering chain. Sometimes only 3 are used, other times a few more. It depends on the source material and if it needs mastering polish or a full blown surgical procesure. For what it's worth, I only use the Sonar 64 EQ for high passing and low passing in my mastering chain. All other plugs are from different companies.

-Danny
2015/07/25 19:12:09
HELLYA
I see Danny but i always thought that you could do everything with Sonar...I went to see the Waves stuff and oh it's expensive. I mean although i want some kind of quality for my music i'm still doing it for fun. I can't see myself paying 1 000.00 of $$$ for mastering my songs.

Batsbrew you said free plug-ins....any link? I'm open to pay a certain amount of money but i've bought stuff early on that i just don't use. So i don't want to spend my money for nothing. And for the free stuff,  i have free plug-in that i have install and i'm not using them. Don't want to have something just for saying that i have it, i want to use it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account