2017/06/11 03:00:14
holmesdon
When I load, say, a side stick sound from a wave file by right clicking on the snare, the snare only plays that sound, even though it's only the one note (37, I think). I want to be able to play note 37 and 38, but Session Drummer assigns my wave file to ALL the notes. I've tried selecting note 37 and loading a side stick, then 38 and loading a center hit, but it doesn't respect the various notes as the prefab kits do! I've even tried modifying a prefab kit by loading my own snare sound, but the problem remains. I can't play a song that has side stick AND center hits, because whatever the last sound I load, that's the one that sticks for all the notes. Any ideas? Thanks.
2017/06/11 03:56:07
scook
To play more than one sample per pad requires creating sfz files. Session Drummer comes with quite a few examples of sfz files. They are plain text files. Sfz files are stored in folders by pad. The default location for the folders is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Content. Take a look at a few of the files. Find a simple one that has one sample per note, copy it to a new name and add your samples to it. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
2017/06/11 13:28:24
holmesdon
Thanks. I created this SFZ:
//  sfz definition file
//  (c) Zyler Vega Seth Perlstein Cakewalk, Inc 2009
//  Drums on Demand Custom Kit

//========================rimshot
<group>
key=37
group=37
polyphony=1
rt_decay=6.500
ampeg_release=2

<region>
sample=C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Contents\Kits\2 - Snares\DoD Snares\Blonde Rim.WAV

//========================snare medium
<group>
key=38
group=38
polyphony=1
rt_decay=6.500
ampeg_release=2

<region>
sample=C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Contents\Kits\2 - Snares\DoD Snares\Blonde Med.WAV

//========================snare soft
<group>
key=40
group=40
polyphony=1
rt_decay=6.500
ampeg_release=2

<region>
sample=C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Contents\Kits\2 - Snares\DoD Snares\Blond Soft.WAV

//========================snare loud
<group>
key=39
group=39
polyphony=1
rt_decay=6.500
ampeg_release=2

<region>
sample=C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 3\Contents\Kits\2 - Snares\DoD Snares\Blond Loud.WAV

but when I try to load it as a snare I get this error:

File c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins\session drummer 3\contents\kits\2 - snares\dod snares\blonde med.wav not found or couldn't be loaded.
File c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins\session drummer 3\contents\kits\2 - snares\dod snares\blond soft.wav not found or couldn't be loaded.
File c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins\session drummer 3\contents\kits\2 - snares\dod snares\blond loud.wav not found or couldn't be loaded.

--- End of log for c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins\session drummer 3\contents\kits\2 - snares\dod snares\dod snares.sfz

2017/06/11 14:33:58
holmesdon
Nevermind. Got it working. Took the spaces out of the wav filenames, or maybe some typos. Thanks.
2017/06/11 15:14:28
scook
Assuming the sfz file is with the rest of the snare sfz files, make the paths relative like this

//  sfz definition file
//  (c) Zyler Vega Seth Perlstein Cakewalk, Inc 2009
//  Drums on Demand Custom Kit

<group>
key=37
group=37
polyphony=1
rt_decay=6.500
ampeg_release=2

<region>
sample=DoD Snares\Blonde Rim.WAV

//========================snare medium
<group>
key=38
group=38
polyphony=1
rt_decay=6.500
ampeg_release=2

<region>
sample=DoD Snares\Blonde Med.WAV

//========================snare soft
<group>
key=40
group=40
polyphony=1
rt_decay=6.500
ampeg_release=2

<region>
sample=DoD Snares\Blond Soft.WAV

//========================snare loud
<group>
key=39
group=39
polyphony=1
rt_decay=6.500
ampeg_release=2

<region>
sample=DoD Snares\Blond Loud.WAV

While this file should work, normally the snare samples would be triggered by the same note 38 at different velocities. Here is an example file. I implied the file considerably and equally divided the velocities. An equal split is not necessary and may not be desirable. Adjust the lovel/hivel values accordingly.

//  sfz definition file
//  simplified using Drums on Demand sample

<region>
key=37
sample=DoD Snares\Blonde Rim.wav

//========================snare
<region>
key=38
lovel=0
hivel=42
sample=DoD Snares\Blonde Soft.wav