• Software
  • New CPU and Motherboard. What won't work?
2017/08/02 17:12:52
jerrydf

Hi,

I'm abiut to upgrade my CPU and motherboard, and lift the current hard disks across from the old machine. Which of the following would have problems with recognition, authorisation, etc? ...
Sonar and its various components, Dimension Pro, etc
Garritan / Aria
EastWest / Play / ilok related things
Komplete / Kontakt
Addictive Drums
TH3
Wavelab
Harrison MB 4
Waves
Embertone
Other software, VSTS,  etc,  reliant on motherboard /cpu identity?

Thanks
Jerry
2017/08/02 17:27:57
interpolated
Your biggest obstacle will be the motherboard and Windows throwing a hissy fit unless you have a retail license for Windows 10. Because MS view changing your motherboard whether it is a replacement or new one as more than one hardware component or a new computer. Retail licenses won't be as problematic.

If no other hardware is being installed and other than making a clean install of the Windows, reactivation I perceive no issues.

2017/08/02 19:07:04
jerrydf
Thanks Interpolated. I think Microsoft allow for this with their activation as long as the Microsoft account is linked to the digital license, using the Troubleshooter when you login after the PC upgrade, as described ... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change 

jdf
2017/08/02 19:15:32
interpolated
About time,  they started being fair about the licensing.

2017/08/02 20:57:17
bitflipper
The majority of the items on your list will have to be re-authorized. In some cases (e.g. Waves), they'll likely need to be de-authorized first. But be patient, you'll get everything back. Just set aside a Saturday for the upgrade and remember that screaming at your computer doesn't actually help.

Having been through this a couple times, let me offer this advice: de-authorizing products first can save headaches down the road. Many allow a second authorization automatically, but you'll forget you've now used up both of them - until a couple years later. I once had to track down the author of a product released under a long-defunct company and explain that my original authorization was for a computer I'd retired 14 years ago.
2017/08/02 21:15:24
interpolated
Many people moan about dongles but there are times when they work out. You mean I will have the same problem when I upgrade this POS of mine. Oh joy.

2017/08/02 22:01:20
jerrydf
Thanks gents. I thought about the pre-emptive deauthorisation.  
I had the big Windows 10 update a few days ago and had to re-authorise AD2 afterwards.

jdf
2017/08/05 19:36:40
abacab
The good news is that Windows 10 will boot on new hardware without throwing a big hissy, a big improvement over older versions that basically needed a clean install to guarantee compatibility with new motherboards, etc.

Something to do with Microsoft improving the hardware abstraction, so that the OS can adjust to the new configuration automatically.

So with the new improved Windows activation process, along with the improved hardware compatibility, it is a win/win for computer upgraders! 
2017/08/06 00:23:47
TheSteven
Double check your iLok licenses.
Any iLok stuff activated to one of yours system hard drives will no longer be accessible after you make the change*, they will be regarded as being on another machine.
If you have any activations that fall in this situation (of being activated on your hard drive) either transfer them to an iLok dongle or deactivate those plugins and reactivate them on new system once it's up and stable.

*had this happen when my MB died and had to be replaced.

edited because I should have had that coffee before I tried writing this post...
2017/08/06 05:46:39
TerraSin
Melodyne was the one that went under my radar. Make sure if you own a Melodyne license that you de-authorize it because they will not care the reasoning you lost it. They consider it your responsibility. Moved my spare to iLok immediately.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account