• Software
  • KONTAKT - Reasigning Keyswitches?
2017/07/28 23:29:12
soens
Aside from buying an 88-key synth, is there a way to relocate certain keyswitches to different keys in Kontakt insturments? My synth has 61 keys but several vst instruments place keyswitches outside that range making it impossible to trigger them while playing.
2017/07/29 02:23:23
msorrels
Full Kontakt comes with a Change Keys script you can assign to instruments or the entire multi (not sure it works for player only).  It lets you map any key to another key.  So you can create an alternative set of keyswitches that trigger the real switch.  But it won't change the color display/relocate the key, which might confuse you a lot.  Depending on the instrument you might find there isn't a good place to put the switches though.

Look under Factory->Transform->Change Keys for the top level KSP (you apply a top level effect by pressing the KSP button at the top of the Kontakt UI) and Factory->Randomize & Change->Change Keys on the instrument level (press the Wrench, go to the Script tab, find a blank slot and look under the presets).

2017/07/29 05:25:53
soens
I have full Kontakt but have no idea where that is. In StrumMaker 4 I was hoping I could swap switch group (C4-B4) with (C5-B5) since I don't need (C4-B4) but do need (C5-B5).
2017/07/29 08:10:07
Glyn Barnes
I use a AKAI LPK25 keyboard to supplement my 61 note keyboard. This means you retain the full range of you main board for playing and the mini keys are fine for switches.

Some instruments have options to reassign switches built in.
2017/07/29 15:42:48
bitflipper
Get an LPK25 as suggested above. Not only does it serve as a keyboard extender and alternate controller, it's tiny enough to throw into your computer bag for travel. I do get some surprised looks when I pull it out at the airport and start recording right there in front of Cinnabon.

However, the more you get into sample libraries the more that 61-key controller is going to feel like a limitation. Seriously consider upgrading your controller if you can afford to. I downgraded from an 88-key to a 73-key for portability (my primary controller is also my primary stage instrument) and one of these days I'm going to hurt myself jamming a finger off the end of the keyboard.
2017/07/29 17:09:58
soens
Indiginus just told me there's no way to reassign keyswitches as there's too many of them.

Get an LPK25

Thanks bit, that's a good option tho one more thing to learn and fiddle with. I'm constantly downsizing. I sold my 76 key yrs ago and regretted it ever since. 61 keys has always been a limitation but until kontakt it was doable. 88 would be nice but there's none with synth keys and I don't have a lot of room for more hardware.

Does anyone make a single space rackmout MIDI controller?
2017/07/29 19:23:25
scook
Couldn't you use a drum map?
2017/07/29 20:49:37
S.L.I.P.
If you go to the Script Editor, under "Instrument Specific," you should see "Dynamic Key Switches." 
2017/07/29 20:53:10
S.L.I.P.
Here is some info from the Kontakt help file:

3.2 Dynamic Key Switches
Dynamic Key Switches allows different keyswitches in an Instrument to seamlessly transition from one articulation to another. Keyswitch notes and corresponding Groups are set, along with the crossfade time from one articulation to the other. Key 1–6: Set the MIDI note which the dynamic keyswitch will be triggered. Group Menu 1–6: Choose the Groups which are activated with the selected keyswitch assignments. Fade: Set the time in milliseconds for the crossfade between the articulations. Rel Trigger: When activated, releasing the dynamic keyswitch will trigger the static keyswitch again.
2017/08/07 02:25:39
soens
FYI: Keyswitches are only available if the instrument maker makes them so. In this case SM4 keyswitches are hidden.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account