• Software
  • Professional Sounding Orchestra VST Recomendation (p.3)
2015/03/10 16:35:37
BMOG
When I started my search I had no idea what the difference was between Kontatkt 5 player and  Kontakt5 was really, so I guess it is my fault for not seeing that it required the full version, I downloaded the free version some time ago to play with and did nothing with it.  I don't even know where to begin sore the modules outside of Kontatk 5 I have a big learning curve that is for sure. In regards to selling how would I break the software up to sell when it call came bundled together?

Mesh
Sorry to hear that BMOG. However, I think most of the 3rd party libraries do require to have the full version of Kontakt. In a way, you have opened up a door to a LOT of 3rd party instruments (very good instruments) which will really make a difference in your music creation.

You also have a wealth of synths with Komplete 10 and there's enough stuff in there to keep anyone buys for a life time (Reaktor alone will do that).

If you posted earlier that you were looking for Kontakt 5 only, you could've found some really good deals over at KVR_Marketplace.....prices are at least around 50% or less than the going market price. Anyway, that's not to be. Also, if you have software/hardware you're not using, you can sell it over there and try to make some cash back......but, rememeber most people are looking to get a good deal......so that 50% off price tag comes into play.

Enjoy your new toys!!  

2015/03/10 19:31:27
skitch_84
BMOG
So here is my story first I decided that what I wanted strings for was turned out to be more from a pad perspective and I can grow into the real orchestra oriented later. I listen to so many different strings demo's all of them sound amazing and I had a hard time deciding until my wife said, make a decision. If this is going to help you get what you need. My ear loved this demo so I went with this project http://8dio.com/instrument-category/orchestral/#instrument/adagietto/ To my understanding I already had the Kontakt 5 player so I thought I good to go. WRONG!!! Turns out you need the full version of Kontakt for this software so I was stuck.  I wanted to send it back but once it is downloaded you can't. So now researching the full version of Kontak5 it was $399 and included a version of Vienna String instruments in it. I was sooooo pissed because those Vienna libraries sounded great but to expensive. So I go to buy the Kontak 5 full version and they are out of stock. I was not happy about that so I was like how can get around this.  Only one way made since to me, the full version of Kontak5 cost $399 and the Komplete 10 cost $499 which included Kontak5 plus tons of other stuff. So i decided to buy Komplete 10 and now I have spent way more money than I planned and whatever I have at this point damn it I will find a way to make it work.  Thanks for all the advice to everyone here and all of you were right this is by far the toughest choice to make

Don't regret even for a moment that you bought Kontakt 5. You are so much better off having the full version. The majority of my Kontakt instruments require the full version to run. 

My first suggestion to you is to learn how to use the Quick Load feature in Kontakt. This will really help your workflow. Loading your instruments through the browser on the left side is a pain in the butt. I have all of my instruments arranged by company -> instrument (For example 8Dio -> Adagio -> Violins -> "individual patches"). You can arrange them however you'd like, but this is just one way that works for me. 

Just do a quick search of Kontakt 5 Quick Load and you'll find videos and tutorials. :)
2015/03/10 21:10:47
BMOG
Thanks for the tip now I have a question, the string patches such as Adagio are those patches stereo or mono output patches?  Or how can I tell?

skitch_84
BMOG
So here is my story first I decided that what I wanted strings for was turned out to be more from a pad perspective and I can grow into the real orchestra oriented later. I listen to so many different strings demo's all of them sound amazing and I had a hard time deciding until my wife said, make a decision. If this is going to help you get what you need. My ear loved this demo so I went with this project http://8dio.com/instrument-category/orchestral/#instrument/adagietto/ To my understanding I already had the Kontakt 5 player so I thought I good to go. WRONG!!! Turns out you need the full version of Kontakt for this software so I was stuck.  I wanted to send it back but once it is downloaded you can't. So now researching the full version of Kontak5 it was $399 and included a version of Vienna String instruments in it. I was sooooo pissed because those Vienna libraries sounded great but to expensive. So I go to buy the Kontak 5 full version and they are out of stock. I was not happy about that so I was like how can get around this.  Only one way made since to me, the full version of Kontak5 cost $399 and the Komplete 10 cost $499 which included Kontak5 plus tons of other stuff. So i decided to buy Komplete 10 and now I have spent way more money than I planned and whatever I have at this point damn it I will find a way to make it work.  Thanks for all the advice to everyone here and all of you were right this is by far the toughest choice to make

Don't regret even for a moment that you bought Kontakt 5. You are so much better off having the full version. The majority of my Kontakt instruments require the full version to run. 

My first suggestion to you is to learn how to use the Quick Load feature in Kontakt. This will really help your workflow. Loading your instruments through the browser on the left side is a pain in the butt. I have all of my instruments arranged by company -> instrument (For example 8Dio -> Adagio -> Violins -> "individual patches"). You can arrange them however you'd like, but this is just one way that works for me. 

Just do a quick search of Kontakt 5 Quick Load and you'll find videos and tutorials. :)

2015/03/11 15:36:46
Mesh
BMOG
 In regards to selling how would I break the software up to sell when it call came bundled together?

As far as Komplete is concerned, you won't be able to break it up for a sale.......it'll have to be the....errmmm.....complete package.

You can sell stuff if you have the individual licenses for software that you have, and of course, you need to make sure from the vendor/developer that these items are resaleable.

As far as NI stuff, people usually sell the individual instruments/plugins they had bought seperately.....ie....I was able to sell Reaktor 5 and Battery 3 (which I had bought sometime back) after I bought Komplete. I also sold a lot of other software that I wasn't using regularly or just bought because I had GAS and was able to get some cash back.

I'm trying to be more cautious when buying now and only get software that I'm sure I'll keep for a long time, but then I end up in the Deals Forum and the vicious cycle begins again.
2015/03/20 18:33:05
R.Cato
I won't tell which libraries I personally find to be the best, but for everyone starting out or searching for a good orchestral sample library always consider to buy Kontakt 5 first, so you have access to all the great libraries out there.

There are some incredible deals out there compared to what was available years ago. With most of them you really can't go wrong. In the end it's always about how passionate you are to learn all these tools. A skilled composer can write awesome sounding orchestral music with samples from 20 years ago and always remember people couldn't tell the difference between virtual and real 20 years ago, too, if the music was well written and especially well performed. Performance always goes before pure sound. Ease of use and playability inspires and lets you keep on realizing the idea you first had in your head, so do yourself a favor and always look for libraries which are really easy to use and fit to your personal workflow.
2015/03/28 02:26:15
kitekrazy1
 The included library is Kontakt is fine.  Sampletank's Miroslav is great in the hands of one who knows how to use it.
Some developers offer smaller versions that work well if you don't need extreme detail.
 EWQL libraries are great but they are not resource friendly. 
2015/03/30 09:45:49
DRanck
Just another hint for Kontakt. Learn to use the database too. You can group your different library instruments so when you are looking for Flutes for example, you can see all the flutes in all of the Kontakt libraries. 
2015/03/30 10:05:16
pentimentosound
Excellent point, DRanck. Thanks for the reminder. I was checking out some Ironsound choirs, the other day and started thinking about Kontakt5 being such a wide base for all kinds of libraries, so I appreciate that "value".

Michael 
2015/03/30 12:18:35
ltb
Check the new Orchestral Suite from UVI. If I was looking for my first & inexpensive basic orchestral library I'd be all over this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_9JPjpXho
http://www.uvi.net/en/orc.../orchestral-suite.html

2015/03/30 13:23:01
wst3
not to further muddy the waters, but I've been experimenting with the VSL Special Edition Volume 1 for about a week now... and it really is quite remarkable!

The instruments, especially the woodwinds, are just plain lovely. Did I mention the woodwinds?

These are not going to replace my Cinesamples, Project Sam, or 8Dio libraries, but they are a very nice addition to the toolkit.

I'd offer two cautions: First is that the user interface is quite a bit different than Kontakt. It provides tremendous control over articulations, but it is tricky, I'm still figuring my way around. Second, the sounds NEED reverb, although I do like the default placement, which can also be changed. So a really well behaved reverb will be required.

Certainly worth looking into...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account