2014/12/17 16:14:01
Boydie
+1 to the Izotope Alloy2 EQ

I thought the Pro Channel EQ was good and didn't really understand how different EQs could sound different but there is a definite "transparency" to the Alloy2 EQ - especially with more extreme HP or LP filtering
2014/12/17 17:18:25
The Maillard Reaction
11 is over rated, 11 can only really be appreciated by a guitarist who owns both a '58 and a '59 flame top.
2014/12/17 17:29:42
bapu
mike_mccue
11 is over rated, 11 can only really be appreciated by a guitarist who owns both a '58 and a '59 flame top.

That's 12 though.
2014/12/17 17:37:56
The Maillard Reaction
12 is for guys who wear black Tolex jackets in the summertime,
2014/12/17 18:34:07
bitflipper
As I get older, the only EQ feature that matters to me is a resizable UI. Pro-Q2's full-screen mode goes to 11 visually.
2014/12/17 18:41:25
backwoods
bitflipper
As I get older, the only EQ feature that matters to me is a resizable UI. Pro-Q2's full-screen mode goes to 11 visually.

That's my favorite thing about Q2- the fullscreen. Put it on after the protection limiter on a dedicated monitor and it's just tremendous. Can't believe other EQ companies don't do it. I asked Alexey at Voxengo a few years back to look into it for Gliss and he was just not interested.
2014/12/17 18:44:43
yorolpal
There are basically two types of EQs...clean, multiband, phase linear surgical ones that do not add coloration...
And all of the others which aren't and do. And the problem with all those which aren't and do is there are seemingly jillions...many radically different. I'd suggest having at least one Swiss Army knife EQ like FF ProQ2 and as many as you can afford of whatever ones you've demo'd and fallen in love with.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, you'll need to have at least one Neve 1073 emulation (your Scheps from WAVES has you covered) or all the so-called "pro" engineers and mixer types will think you're a dimwit.

Just kidding...screw them.
2014/12/17 20:10:28
dmbaer
Starise
What makes one EQ better than another EQ ? 

This has been pretty well answered, so I won't offer still another answer.  But I will offer the observation that for clean/transparent EQs, the obvious betterifier is a clean, efficient UI that makes getting the result you want dead simple, even if you're a rank amateur like me.  For me, like a lot of others, the latest Fab Filter EQ gets the nod, hands down.

Then there's the "character" EQs.  The betterifier there is the quality of the vintage fairy dust it sprinkles on your mix.  For me right now, that one would be the Nomad Factory Pulstec.  It has a preset in the "Mastering" category called "Presence".  I haven't quite figured out just exactly how it works its magic, but more often than not, if I put that on a synth track just as is, then the track simply sounds better.

I'm about to acquire a few more "character" EQs in the IK group buy.  Maybe I'll have some even better fairy dust when I get that sorted out.  I'd love to hear opinions from the experts here on: "IK EQs - which has the best fairy dust". 
2014/12/17 20:24:42
Rain
bitflipper

Same here. Often, this actually prevents me from bothering trying using another EQ.
Hopefully, it's a trend that will catch on quickly.
2014/12/17 20:26:09
lawajava
Boydie
+1 to the Izotope Alloy2 EQ

I thought the Pro Channel EQ was good and didn't really understand how different EQs could sound different but there is a definite "transparency" to the Alloy2 EQ - especially with more extreme HP or LP filtering

Another +1 for Alloy 2 from me. But I use ProQ2 and others as well.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account