2014/12/17 20:31:39
bitflipper
yorolpal
...I'd suggest having ... as many as you can afford of whatever ones you've demo'd and fallen in love with.

... you'll need to have at least one Neve 1073 emulation (your Scheps from WAVES has you covered) or all the so-called "pro" engineers and mixer types will think you're a dimwit.

You're evil.

You know, some gullible kid out there is writing all this sage advice down and is gonna hock his Mom's Rolex so he can have every EQ yorolpal has.

OK, he's probably not a kid. A kid would just find everything on a warez site. But somebody, even some 60-something guy, might take you at face value and end up buying some, ah, Waves plugins or something.
2014/12/17 21:31:42
mixmkr
I'm a 60 something and the ProChannel EQ should be just fine.  Change your guitar strings instead.  Send me the $$ so I can buy some Waves plugins or sumpin.
2014/12/17 22:12:29
TomHelvey
Pro-Q2 Hands Down! Especially for fine tuning. Followed by the Waves SSL channel EQ for broad strokes.
2014/12/17 22:31:31
Anderton
I dunno. I think the differences are more quantitative than qualitative, but I make an exception for EQs that model particular EQs if they get it right. For example, I really liked using the original Pultecs in the studio, because they had very gentle curves. I was glad when modeled versions came out that emulated that kind of response (and didn't have the hum!!). Granted, I could probably get the same curve with other EQs that have nothing to do with the Pultec, but if the interface is done right my muscle memory knows where to go to get the sounds I want.

Analog EQs can have extremely complex responses that are a jambalaya of phase shift, ripple, ringing if inductors are involved, interaction among filter skirts, Miller effect with tube gear, etc. etc. At that point the EQ becomes more like a processor and most definitely, some processors "like" some sounds better than others. And i suppose that there would be some merit to cataloguing these preferences for future use...or maybe not. Maybe it's better to try a happy accident of using the EQ that sounded good on bass with snare. Who knows.

If my voice needs a +6 dB shelf starting at 2 kHz, then pretty much any EQ is going to give the quality I want to my voice. Spending time trying out different shelves might yield useful results, but spending that time backing up my data will likely yield more useful results in the long run.

I think the emotional impact of any given track is 85% the person playing it, 10% the sound of the instrument itself, and 5% the processing. That's not at all to diminish the importance of that 5%, but I'm just trying to put things in perspective. 
2014/12/17 23:27:35
dstrenz
bitflipper
As I get older, the only EQ feature that matters to me is a resizable UI. Pro-Q2's full-screen mode goes to 11 visually.

As I get older, I've noticed that most EQs sound better when I remember to trim the hair growing out of my ears.
2014/12/18 01:25:45
Glyn Barnes
I seldom seem to use anything other than the pro-channel EQ these days. Easy, nice interface and does what it says on the tin.

I wonder if I would get better results with some of the others, but in most cases I don't feel I am missing much.

2014/12/18 02:46:16
Jablowmi19
I like the boys @ Fab...

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-2-equalizer-plug-in

Izotope is pretty cool w/their dynamic EQ, I'm sure Fab will put out a similar feature soon. 

H-

2014/12/18 05:19:36
The Maillard Reaction
OK, this is me being serious for a minute.... :-)

The hands down best EQ I ever hear is when the EQ is being used on source material that is really nice in it's basic character. The good source material, "takes" EQ-ing better than not so good material and it seems to make any EQ sound it's best.

Edit spelling
2014/12/18 15:27:22
Starise
I need to read this thread a few more times...chew the cud a bit more. There's some great minds here and I don't want to waste any of this...I'll be back when I've fully digested it .

Thanks for the pointers. I need enough data to make an educated choice but too much data might just push me into medication territory :) But the question is....can a person own too many EQ's???
2014/12/18 18:31:30
yorolpal
I dunno Craig, ol pal. I've been doing this for as long as you have and know that ol processin let me make many a silk purse out of many a sows ear.

And #Bit...I did say as many as "you can afford". So, really, I'm only partly evil.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account