2014/12/20 00:14:20
yorolpal
Actually Bit, ol pal, I was thinking about my fellow Irish drinking buddy...Mel O'Dyne.
2014/12/20 10:33:57
bitflipper
yorolpal
Actually Bit, ol pal, I was thinking about my fellow Irish drinking buddy...Mel O'Dyne.

Mel has been banished for the past year, and to my surprise I'm finding I don't really need him nearly as much as I once thought I did.
2014/12/20 16:35:49
Rain
batsbrew
FWIW,
i'm very fond of Waves Linear Phase EQ

How's the CPU load? Waves are usually quite efficient here, but I've never dabbled with Lin EQ.

2014/12/21 03:41:21
TomHelvey
Anderton
Sound on Sound has a feature called Mix Rescue, where the SOS editors go to someone's house, fix their mix, then write about what the problems were and how they were solved. There's a story Paul White tells that apparently has happened more than once.

When Paul walks in, his host usually offers to go get tea or whatever. The first thing Paul does is bypass all the plug-ins so he can hear what's happening with the source tracks. Once he did that when his host was in the kitchen. When the host came back from the kitchen and heard the song, the first thing he said was "Wow, that sounds fantastic!! What did you do?!?"

Yep, heard that a bunch of times and it's probably spot on about 80% of the time. The object lesson is, compare what you've done to what's already there, if it's not better, do something else. Make sure you take a break beforehand. :)

2014/12/22 00:35:44
jimusic
dstrenz
bitflipper
As I get older, the only EQ feature that matters to me is a resizable UI. Pro-Q2's full-screen mode goes to 11 visually.

As I get older, I've noticed that most EQs sound better when I remember to trim the hair growing out of my ears.

Hahaha!
2014/12/23 11:56:39
Starise
TomHelvey
Anderton
Sound on Sound has a feature called Mix Rescue, where the SOS editors go to someone's house, fix their mix, then write about what the problems were and how they were solved. There's a story Paul White tells that apparently has happened more than once.

When Paul walks in, his host usually offers to go get tea or whatever. The first thing Paul does is bypass all the plug-ins so he can hear what's happening with the source tracks. Once he did that when his host was in the kitchen. When the host came back from the kitchen and heard the song, the first thing he said was "Wow, that sounds fantastic!! What did you do?!?"

Yep, heard that a bunch of times and it's probably spot on about 80% of the time. The object lesson is, compare what you've done to what's already there, if it's not better, do something else. Make sure you take a break beforehand. :)

I hate to admit the truth behind this comment. It hurts to think that the last two hours of mixing sounded worse than plug-ins disabled on a few things Ive done. It's a learning experience for sure. Thankfully this hasn't happened often. Sometimes I reach for the disable button just to see if I'm making any real progress. ...and yes...trimming those hairs out of the ears really helps....usually when it happens to me I'm trying to polish a turd and I guess I just haven't found the right wax yet.

2014/12/23 19:22:47
yorolpal
Why "Turdle Wax" acourse!
2014/12/25 15:51:31
dmbaer
I realize this properly should go in Deals.  However, it's totally relevant to this thread.  The Nomad Factory Pulse-Tec EQ I was gushing about earlier is on sale for 10 bucks.  Deal of the year, IMO.  Find it here:

http://store.dontcrack.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=39&page=1&sort=5a
2014/12/28 21:43:51
jimusic
Thanks David. Gonna snag that now while I still can.

That's quite a deal - $120 off.
2014/12/30 12:24:52
Starise
Makes sense Olpal:)
Thanks David, you're responsible for me loosing another 10 bucks :) Looks interesting!!

I was looking at Fabfilter Pro Q2 when I started and I must say after downloading the demo I like it. It does what it does very well. But price......this isn't for the kid who just got his first two channel interface to plug his Squier into. It is a bit steep for me......I guess you can command that price if your one of the best. I can get it for 149.00 at Sweetwater...at least for the next day or so. Regularly 199.00
If youre already on the boat with Q1 or have discounts from a prior purchase I envy you...as upgrades are easier :)  I think it's somewhat the concept really when we get EQ's free with every music software and free ones are available all over the web.You can get wonderful examples of Equalizers for not a lot of money elsewhere.

Look at Melda Mautodynamic EQ...if you didn't read Daves article over at Soundbytes you should if you aren't familiar with that EQ or the sibling.....it's a swiss army knife of EQ delight and it's 40% off right now making the final cash outlay around 80 american dollars......I think you get a lot for that money. Less than half of Fabfilter.

Some might argue that they are two different animals and you would be correct because of the dynamics capability, curve selection, number of filters and graphic tie die representations of audio.Actually GUI aside it looks like a lot more capability in MAUTODYNAMICEQ overall since it centers on more than just simple EQ. Maybe fewer filters but how many do you need/want?

I like em' both!

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account