2014/12/30 13:02:41
bapu
Starise
Look at Melda Mautodynamic EQ...if you didn't read Daves article over at Soundbytes you should if you aren't familiar with that EQ or the sibling.....it's a swiss army knife of EQ delight 

Link?

I cannae find it.
2014/12/30 14:51:22
Starise
2014/12/30 14:54:48
Starise
I just bought MAutoDynamicEQ. The sale was supposed to be until Dec 28th, but I got the sale price.

2014/12/30 15:14:51
bapu
Starise
I just bought MAutoDynamicEQ. The sale was supposed to be until Dec 28th, but I got the sale price.

Got it too.

All my Christmas Gift $ are spent.
2014/12/30 19:24:28
LunaTech
Starise

Hello,

I bought the MAutoDynamicEQ when Izotope did not include their dynamic EQ with the standard version of O6 .  ( Big thanks to Bitflipper).  It is a very versatile piece of software . It offers quite a bit as far as capability and potential functionality is concerned. . I was actually torn between the Pro MB and this  (Pro MB is Purdy) and decided that the Melda offered at least equal capability at a more competitive price point. You wont be let down by the purchase. It is fairly simple to start using it but can also go very deep for the technocrat or when you are ready!!
2014/12/31 20:14:07
Starise
I'm glad you shagged it Bapu....err... I mean I'm glad you snagged it!

I have just graded the surface of it so far. In hindsight I don't regret this purchase. I think I'm going to be just like LunaTech . I might get Pro Q but then again I probably don't need to.

That EQ David mentioned. I wasn't expecting much for 9.99. It's actually a nice Pultec copy. I wish I had seen this one earlier. I peeped in my Nomad Factory folder and counted five EQ's I've didn't know I had. If you have X3 Producer you should have all of those too in your Nomad Factory folder.

There is a learning curve with the Melda EQ's but I think it's going to be well worth the effort.
2017/07/18 15:36:22
brconflict
When I bought Algorithmix Red, probably the most expensive EQ on the market several years ago, and one boasted about by Bob Katz (Mastering Engineer) as being the best EQ plug-in on the market next to his Weiss digital EQ units, I felt I invested in an EQ I though nobody could really ever beat. It was ugly in appearance, but for a Linear Phase EQ, it was the best one I'd used so far.

Now, if you buy Bob Katz latest Mastering book and look at the cover you'll be face-to-face with Equilibrium. Bob says good things about it inside the book, and the EQ costs about 10% of the Algo Red. Does this now make it a better sounding EQ than Algorithmix Red? Not really, but it is far more flexible and is offered as a 64-Bit plug-in. The Algorithmix Red has all but been abandoned as a historical 32-bit EQ. But which sounds better? Hopefully neither, but the tool-set certainly wins hearts for Equillibrium. I bought Equillibrium because of the cool factor and it was on sale as a newly introduced plugin. However, I could easily get great results from EQuality, another DMG product.

I've also got a copy of AirEQ that's been mentioned here, as well as Waves LinEQ, and a few others. Which one do I choose? It depends. If I'm Mastering, I like the facilities and experience of EQuillibrium. For mixing, well, that's an entirely different animal. I just try different ones. Many times, I start with Waves API 550. If I can't quickly get a result I want, I may try an SSL G EQ or the SSL E-Channel. If it's a bass-prone instrument, I usually pull in a Pultec. For guitars, I may use a Helios. If I use a DMG EQ, many times it's just to notch something out, or to adjust the source material in a way that I don't introduce character onto it. I typically use those types of EQ's to balance a signal out and then follow that up with a 'character' or 'emulation' EQ. 

I was reading an old interview from Craig Leon, a classically trained composer who ironically produced the Ramones. In his workflow he tries very hard not to use EQ unless there's just no way. More and more I like to think that way when tracking, but in his opinion, when you try things, don't be afraid to do something wrong. It could be you end up with a result others are asking you to divulge. "I wanted to be the next George [Martin]. Be the next you, not the next somebody else."

All in all, my advice is to try everything you have! Don't worry about what you don't have and don't worry about which one is the best thing for a specific instrument or vocal. YOU be the judge and use what gives you the result you seek from your own emotions. What works for one may certainly not work for another. It's fun to see what plugins you barely ever touch can do, and perhaps how simple they can be! You may even be surprised that you DO in fact hear a difference between two or three different plugins!!
2017/07/18 15:49:19
batsbrew

2017/07/18 17:44:15
bitflipper
But the classics never really die, do they? Just when you think everybody's happy with "all EQs sound the same, so use the one you're most comfortable with", somebody's bound to challenge it.

Maybe it's time to resurrect some of the other Golden Oldies. Nuendo sounds 20-40% better than SONAR, anyone?
2017/07/18 17:47:13
brconflict
batsbrew

haha. I love threads like this, sometimes. GS is full of them, to a default, and they can grow tiresome with bad tempers and strong allegiances to a brand name, regardless of true value or credible opinions. Even so, I do like to hear what people who use them frequently think when they own more than one brand. I also love reading about people's use of specific EQs for certain purposes and rule that they work best where they were used, along with some insight as to why. It makes me want to run home and give that one a whirl---and see if I agree. I could almost (but not quite) be regarded as a plug-in junkie, although the ones I use are typically bought (usually never free).
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account