2017/07/21 18:42:29
Jeff Evans
I tend to think you only need a few EQ's.  For me the bundled Pro EQ in Studio One nearly does it all for me.  It has varied levels of quality, has all the features you need to get any EQ exercise done and sounds great.  I back that up with a Pultec emulation from Nomad which sounds really great in a different way and adds quite a different vibe to the sound.  Requires careful setup to get the best out of it too.  I also have a Boz tilt EQ too which is another quick form of EQ which works well in many places.  To add to that I use Waves Scheps Parallel Particles which is loverly form of parallel EQ processing.  Plus some channel strips for me too such as SSL and Studio One are offering really nice channel strips as well now standard. With choice of multiple emulation types. 

In mastering it is nice to have a mastering grade EQ such as the one in Harrison Mixbus. There are many others too. Some really nice VST's out there for that sort of thing. 
2017/07/21 19:49:47
interpolated
I don't know if you are aware of this but the L-Phase EQ from Cakewalk has up to 20 independent band settings. Amazing what you find out when you are not looking.

I have Schepss 73 which is a subtle touch but very nice analogue grit to add to a mix or synth, guitar or vocal.

2017/07/22 10:10:57
anydmusic
"If it sounds good it is good" Joe Meek

Love this article: http://www.joemeekpage.info/essay_03_E.htm (part of a bigger one)

As a thought most of us are (sadly) preconditioned by what we have heard so we expect and accept the colouration that some of the modelled (character) EQs add preferring them to the more "accurate" ones that are available to us. The next "break through" in sound could be someone's creative use of an EQ that is not any anyone's list of favourites.

2017/07/24 08:37:43
Grem
interpolated
Had a look at that TRacks Max collection. Even at About £500 for the lot. That's an incredible amount of modelled hardware for the price.

They are some really good quality EQ's in there. But wait till BF to get it at the best price.

I really like the Program EQ. And the 73 and the eighty something. And the white channel, and the black, and don't forget all the Quads.
2017/07/24 14:57:57
Starise
This one has been resurrected, but I'm glad since I wanted to give an update.

Some things change and some things never change. When I purchased the Melda Mautodynamic EQ. It was my go to EQ for hard to mix tracks. Since then I have updated my copy of Ozone to version 7 advanced. It includes Ozone's dynamic Eq. Very similar to the Melda product. In a nutshell, Melda is more complicated. The Ozone version is very effective at the basic chore, so I found myself using it more mainly for the simplicity when I didn't have lots of time to play with the GUI in the Melda product.
More recently I've purchased Neutron which wasn't available when I started this thread. It's very effective with the added ability to learn a frequency and look for frequency clashes. So far, it seems to work best on a few key parts of a mix, like comparing a bass drum and bass guitar. Might not be best for drenching the entire mix. I say this from some inexperience. Give me some more time on that one.

Can't continue without mentioning the great EQ plugs Cakewalk recently developed coming as standard in Platinum.
Great EQ's! Probably all someone without GAS would likely need.
I don't believe we have anyone here like that though 
2017/07/24 17:17:49
cclarry
right now, with code N3WS10 at Time Space
you can make the jump to Advanced from Neutron Standard

About $55 with exchange...

I might have to do this just for the Value, and the
ability to use the EQ standalone would be a bonus.
I don't need 7.1 (that I know of) but I think it would
probably be a good investment, if only for "Resale Value"
2017/07/24 21:45:27
Fleer
Still, it's $55. Do you really need it when you have the Ozone7 Advanced standalones (and Alloy2) ?
2017/07/24 23:40:27
cclarry
Fleer
Still, it's $55. Do you really need it when you have the Ozone7 Advanced standalones (and Alloy2) ?

Don't have Alloy anymore...redundant with Neutron (not to mention it's no longer supported)
And O7A doesn't have the Track Assistant, which has proven to
be quite beneficial for getting quick "starting points", nor does 
it have the "Masking Meter" ability for "Crash zones" (which
standard already has I know).

Do I NEED it?  NO.  But it makes the package"More valuable" if
it's "Advanced"   (especially for those doing Post and Surround Mixes and production)
and, you know me, resale "value" is always important 
2017/07/25 23:25:55
Fleer
Yep, but I just don't get the intrinsic value of upgrading my Neutron to Advanced if I already have O7A.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account