• Cakewalk Instruments
  • Pentagon doesn't work unless I run Sonar 8.5 as an administrator (in Windows 7, 64 bit)
2010/04/05 12:55:44
mleghorn
I recently installed Sonar Studio 8.5 (64-bit) on my new Windows 7 machine. Everything works fine, except when I try to insert an instrument track with Pentagon, I get a messsage something like "Pentagon is not correctly set up". To get around this problem, I run Sonar 8.5 as an adminstrator -- then Pentagon loads fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike
2010/04/05 19:00:11
techead
Pentagon is "old" software created long before the new security implementations of Vista and Win7.  You'd have to do a lot of experimenting with troubleshooting tools to see if there is some type of tweak you could make to Windows to alleviate this, but I doubt it would be that easy.  Running the SONAR host as an Administrator so that its child processes that need administrative privilege can run is likely your only solution for now.
2010/04/05 19:15:47
Genghis
mleghorn

I recently installed Sonar Studio 8.5 (64-bit) on my new Windows 7 machine. Everything works fine, except when I try to insert an instrument track with Pentagon, I get a messsage something like "Pentagon is not correctly set up". To get around this problem, I run Sonar 8.5 as an adminstrator -- then Pentagon loads fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

You have two choices... go to the advanced properties for your short cut that launches SONAR and set it up so that it always runs as Administrator or go to Control Panel and disable UAC.  Either one will fix Pentagon and a handful of other plug-ins that don't work nicely unless SONAR is run as Administrator.
2011/02/19 14:52:36
Tripecac
I have the same problem, on 64-bit Windows 7; Pentagon I fails to load unless I run Sonar as administrator.

Are there any other workarounds, aside from disabling UAC?
2011/02/20 08:09:45
techead
No work arounds other than disabling UAC or always run as administrator.
2011/02/21 15:12:11
Rooftree
I'm running Sonar 8.5PE as an adminstrator and I still have problems with Pentagon.  With certain patches in Pentagon, if I load them into a track, the track will go silent.  Sometimes these trouble patches will cause all instances of Pentagon to go silent.  In other cases, when I'm using "safe" patches in Pentagon, Sonar will suddenly crash for no apparent reason.

Is there any benefit to me turning off UAC in addition to running as administrator?  Are there any other fixes that I can do?  I really like Pentagon (when it's not crashing) and I'd hate to give it up.
2011/08/21 21:48:07
Tripecac
Sonar X1c still has the same issue, where Pentagon I isn't recognized unless you run Sonar as an administrator. Also, I don't see a standalone .exe for Pentagon I, unlike Triangle II. I wonder if the 2 problems are related?
2013/05/28 03:32:57
sepulchre
Fortunately, I don't have the 'run as administrator' problem. But since I'm the only one that ever uses my machines maybe I am running as administrator. There's a discussion (somewhere here) of Pentagon having some problems with some of its stock patches. Guess I'll have to continue looking.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account