2017/08/24 15:59:44
TheMaartian
I'm also loving all of the Todd Rundgren love! What a talent! Fabulous live with Utopia! An even better producer.
2017/09/19 21:29:57
jude77
"What are your favorite examples of real genius disguised as a pop tune?"  That's a really good question.  My vote goes to "See the Light" by the Flame (maybe the worlds most obscure band).  It's three minutes of pure pop perfection by ripping a page out of the Beatles playbook.  Actually, it took the whole book.  The rest of the album (creatively entitled "The Flame") was great as well.  Right behind that I've got to vote for "September Gurls" by Big Star.  It's the song that launched a thousand Power Pop bands and created a genre.  Plus, it was Alex Chilton's last moment of sanity.
2017/09/22 13:55:33
bitflipper
That could be a whole 'nother thread: bands that sound like the Beatles. Klaatu's brilliant album "Hope". Everything by Badfinger. The perfect pop song that is "Lies" by the Knickerbockers. The Raspberries. 

2017/09/23 13:17:15
DeeringAmps
and Mountain: Mississippi Queen
But like Dave said, a whole 'nother thread...

T

2017/09/23 15:14:31
bitflipper
How'd we get from Good Vibrations to Mississippi Queen? 

It's a good tune, though, I'd have to agree. Essential for any cowbell enthusiast's playlist.

2017/09/23 15:44:08
scook
Something I dug up while waiting for the rain to stop last month. This is part one of six

The rest is on YT.

2017/09/23 16:06:53
jamesg1213
Ah yes, Godley & Crème were pop writers par excellence. Loved that track 'Under My Thumb' and 'Cry' also, beautiful production on that one.
2017/09/23 17:10:18
AndyB01
jamesg1213
Ah yes, Godley & Crème were pop writers par excellence. Loved that track 'Under My Thumb' and 'Cry' also, beautiful production on that one.

Agree anything by 10cc in the G&C era - listen to the lyrics on the album How Dare You - pure genius.

Another classic album I'd highlight is Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues. You could be forgiven for ignoring the album on the strength of Nights in White Satin which on one level works as a rather bland pop ballad but put it in context with rest of the album and it becomes great closing track - very clever stuff. 'Brave Helios, wake up your steeds' - now that's a lyric you don't hear every day of the week.
2017/09/24 12:09:57
DeeringAmps
"That could be a whole 'nother thread: bands that sound like the Beatles. Klaatu's brilliant album "Hope". Everything by Badfinger. The perfect pop song that is "Lies" by the Knickerbockers. The Raspberries."
Mississippi Queen is the perfect "Rock" single, I know, I know, off topic and you were talking "pop".
And while Lies is "pop", I'd like to think of it is a "pop rocker"?
(probably because I like the tune and for guitarists of a certain age and genre; you know what I mean...)
But this is all off topic.
T
2017/09/28 14:28:14
sharke
 I actually really love the production on Toto's Africa as it happens. It's a great example of a vocal sitting perfectly in a mix. 

How about "Don't Give Up" by Peter Gabriel with Kate Bush. Fantastic sounding track, and really stood out in the 80's for its warmth.

I also love the production on Talking Head records, particularly Remain In Light, Speaking In Tongues and Stop Making Sense. I didn't appreciate the bright, open sound of them when I was younger, I was just focused on their wacky groove. But over the last few years I've come to notice it.  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account