2017/08/25 04:28:46
Fog
I use treesize free by jam.. see if you have any bloat area's and the usual ccleaner.

do use paragon hard drive suite.. do make a backup regardless. or clone to a new drive perhaps.

2017/08/25 14:24:32
abacab
filtersweep
Will check the tenforums.

Tenforums is a great resource.  I use it regularly, and have found some very helpful tutorials there, as well as some helpful members.

But if one has already exhausted the other web forums and tried everything else suggested, I find that posting a unique problem there attracts mostly the same suggestions.

The site that drives me mostly nuts is the Microsoft answers community.  I think of it as the "no answers" forum, LOL!  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/
2017/09/01 01:13:41
filtersweep
Agree completely regarding Microsoft answers. Useless for virtually everything. Found plausible answer to problem on tensforum having to do with Windows Update. Ran the troubleshooter and found sime issuss to fix but problem persists.
2017/09/09 21:53:32
soens
I know this won't help but, as a rule, I never upgrade OS's. I buy or build a new system.

My only experience with migrating OS HDDs was a disaster, so I won't be doing that again either.
2017/09/11 10:32:14
DarinBad
Look in task manager for a process called Windows Module Installer Worker. That thing ran for over an hour on my laptop the other day when I booted it up. I literally couldn't use the computer until it was done. There have been many complaints about it, it seems.

It has happened on my desktop computers also, but they have SSD drives, so it's not as lengthy of a process. Still very annoying.

All computers are running Win 10. I don't know if it relates to the problem, but it sure sounds like it could.
2017/09/11 16:47:48
abacab
Just an observation, but recently I was testing my backup software's restore function, and restored my system's SSD image onto a 7200 RPM HDD, and booted from that as a test.

Then I observed that Windows 10 was now running at a crawl with 100% disk usage shown in Task Manager.  Exact same build, only difference is the boot disk.

So it appears that when running my Windows 10 normally on SSD, these same disk consuming processes take place, but they run in seconds, rather than minutes, so they are not noticeable for me.
2017/09/12 01:18:31
filtersweep
abacab
Just an observation, but recently I was testing my backup software's restore function, and restored my system's SSD image onto a 7200 RPM HDD, and booted from that as a test.

Then I observed that Windows 10 was now running at a crawl with 100% disk usage shown in Task Manager.  Exact same build, only difference is the boot disk.

So it appears that when running my Windows 10 normally on SSD, these same disk consuming processes take place, but they run in seconds, rather than minutes, so they are not noticeable for me.

Interesting, I have seen others make a similar observation. Even suggesting that Win10 is designed to run off SSD, though it seems a stretch to think that MS would go out of their way to alienate all the HDD users. That said, my desktop is all ssd and boots in seconds, no issues whatsoever,
2017/09/12 12:31:07
abacab
filtersweep
abacab

Interesting, I have seen others make a similar observation. Even suggesting that Win10 is designed to run off SSD, though it seems a stretch to think that MS would go out of their way to alienate all the HDD users. That said, my desktop is all ssd and boots in seconds, no issues whatsoever,

I don't think it's deliberate, but I know what I have observed with my own eyes.  At least I now can relax and assume that nothing is wrong with my Win10 laptop running with a spinning drive.

It's just that technology moves on, and there may be an unintended discrimination against those who cling to old tech for too long.  Today's developers and testers are using modern machines, and competition keeps their efforts closer to the bleeding edge.  They might not notice the effects of running on old hardware, as it is not in their interest to prioritize that for testing.

I can recall when the shift away from single core CPU's, to multi-core systems began.  For a few years most software continued to run fine on single core, but then gradually most newer software performed well only on multi-core as that architecture became mainstream.

I tried to fight that trend for a while, and continued to run a 32-bit OS as well, but several developers I depend on switched to 64-bit support only.  So switching to a 64-bit multi-core CPU became inevitable.

But I will add that I upgraded to SSD on my DAW PC when I was still running Windows 7, and was awed by the improved performance.  Highly recommend SSD, regardless of the OS you are running today.  And the prices for SSD are low enough now that anybody can afford one! 
2017/09/12 12:42:03
BobF
I don't buy that this is just the way it is with W10 and HDD.  There is something wrong.  Switching to SSD is treating the symptom rather than the disease.
2017/09/12 14:58:57
abacab
BobF
I don't buy that this is just the way it is with W10 and HDD.  There is something wrong.  Switching to SSD is treating the symptom rather than the disease.

I dunno Bob, but when I temporarily switched my DAW back to HDD, it F'd up too ...  Back to SSD, happy again.  Don't know what to say...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account