• Computers
  • Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates
2017/11/25 01:17:22
Kamikaze
It seems the only way to stop updates, is by upgrading to Windows Pro for $99.

Are there any other real benefits for the Audio Set up with Pro?

Are there cheaper places to purchase the upgrade product key?

2017/11/25 04:30:04
abacab
I have Windows 10 Pro (upgrade from Windows 7 Pro) and I can recommend it highly!

The major plus is the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), that lets you set administrative overrides on various features.
So regarding updates, you can completely disable automatic updates.  Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > All Settings > Configure Automatic Updates.

If the status for this policy is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, search for Windows Update using Start.

With automatic updates disabled, you can now choose "check for updates" from the "Settings > Windows Update" panel.  Until you do the manual check, nothing will update automativcally.
2017/11/25 09:52:31
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Kamikaze
It seems the only way to stop updates, is by upgrading to Windows Pro for $99.

Are there any other real benefits for the Audio Set up with Pro?

Are there cheaper places to purchase the upgrade product key?

if you stay offline (for most of the time) you could simply disable the win update service. i did that on one older machine where i did not feel like buying into win10 pro (for 4 other PCs i did and i'm happy with, though).

basically if it is an all purpose computer i'd go with win10 pro. if it's a DAW with no other use, you can stick to what you have, disable updates, and every half year or year allow it to update (in case you acquire some really hot new software) but take a disk image before

2017/11/25 11:13:45
Regardless of what anyone tells you, you don't have to upgrade to Pro version to stop updates, they will tell you this and that and the other, the fact is you can permanently disable updates with the Home version very easily, and if you choose you can re enable updates whenever you wish. I have a couple of Windows 10 Home PC's and Laptops, and a couple of Windows 10 Pro Pc's and Laptops, they all have updates disabled and have had for a long time, and they all remain on the same Windows 10 version and build number. All are permanently connected to the net.
2017/11/25 11:36:44
fireberd
I have 10 Pro on my desktop DAW and 10 Home on a Laptop and updates enabled on both.  To date I have not had any problems with any update/upgrade.  I have had to reauthorize some add-ons after an "upgrade" but I don't consider that a big deal.

2017/11/25 17:46:11
abacab
If you plan to keep using Sonar for years, it would probably be wise to lock down your Windows 10 on a dedicated PC.  Take it offline, or whatever...

Since there will never be any more "fixes" from the Cakewalk devs to ensure compatibility with changes Microsoft may introduce in the future, it would be a crap shoot to keep updating your OS, but not your DAW.

Alternatively, if you have an imaging workflow, that will be allow you to keep archiving a version of Windows known to be compatible with the last version of Sonar (2017.10).  So you could stay online safely that way, which may be necessary on a multi-use PC.  Then if an update to Win 10 someday breaks Sonar, you could roll back to an earlier image, and then think about going completely offline.
2017/11/25 18:39:23
fireberd
I'm one of those that will be switching DAWs.  I purchased Studio One 3 Pro at Sweetwater black Friday 1/2 off sale.  Sonar works and does what I want, but at some point a Windows update will do it in.  I don't have the luxury of a dedicated PC that I can use.  But as it will probably be a while it gives me lots of time to learn Studio One 3.

I had a freebie version of Studio One 3, that I got with a Presonus purchase, but never did much with it as it was limited to two tracks.  Guess I should have been learning it anyway.  
2017/11/25 19:10:39
keneds
Matron Landslide
Regardless of what anyone tells you, you don't have to upgrade to Pro version to stop updates, they will tell you this and that and the other, the fact is you can permanently disable updates with the Home version very easily, and if you choose you can re enable updates whenever you wish. I have a couple of Windows 10 Home PC's and Laptops, and a couple of Windows 10 Pro Pc's and Laptops, they all have updates disabled and have had for a long time, and they all remain on the same Windows 10 version and build number. All are permanently connected to the net.

How do I disable updates?
2017/11/26 02:20:46
Kamikaze
keneds
Matron Landslide

How do I disable updates?

Me too? What do you do?

Thanks for the replies.

I figure with an image of my system, then I can stay online, and should anything cause and issue, I'd just go back to that image. I use my system for more than just sonar, and will lay out for my next when this one dies.

Seems the only real perk to Windows Pro 10 and Home 10 for the studio user is just updates prevention.

2017/11/26 03:40:43
abacab
Kamikaze

Seems the only real perk to Windows Pro 10 and Home 10 for the studio user is just updates prevention.

Bottom line yes, there are ways to "hack" Windows 10 Home to prevent updates.

But if you are not a PC nerd, or don't care to spend the time learning how, Windows 10 Pro offers a solid solution with Group Policy Editor, for now.  They may break the ability of Pro to prevent updates in the future, requiring an enterprise license, but that is speculation.  Microsoft... SMH!!!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account