• Computers
  • Upgrading Windows 10 to Pro to stop updates (p.2)
2017/11/26 05:06:39
Kamikaze
Any clues on how?
2017/11/26 06:16:18
Hugh Mann
keneds
Matron Landslide
Regardless of what anyone tells you, you don't have to upgrade to Pro version to stop updates, they will tell you this and that and the other, the fact is you can permanently disable updates with the Home version very easily, and if you choose you can re enable updates whenever you wish. I have a couple of Windows 10 Home PC's and Laptops, and a couple of Windows 10 Pro Pc's and Laptops, they all have updates disabled and have had for a long time, and they all remain on the same Windows 10 version and build number. All are permanently connected to the net.

How do I disable updates?

I have home and have updates disabled.  Very easy.  Right click on the task bar and select Task Manager.  Select the Services tab.  Open Services.  Scroll down to Windows Update.  Right click and select Properties.  Under Start Up Type, select Disabled.  Under Status hit Stop.  Click apply and ok and close out of all the tabs.  No more updates.  When you are ready to update again,  re enable this service and you can update again. 
2017/11/26 06:59:06
Kamikaze
Cool, thank you.
2017/11/26 14:31:36
abacab
This article covers all of the options...

A workaround to Turn Off Windows Update in Windows 10
http://www.thewindowsclub...s-update-in-windows-10
2017/11/26 14:37:40
abacab
Rob[atSound-Rehab]

if you stay offline (for most of the time) you could simply disable the win update service. i did that on one older machine where i did not feel like buying into win10 pro (for 4 other PCs i did and i'm happy with, though).

basically if it is an all purpose computer i'd go with win10 pro. if it's a DAW with no other use, you can stick to what you have, disable updates, and every half year or year allow it to update (in case you acquire some really hot new software) but take a disk image before

IMHO, this is probably the best advice.  Stay offline if you wish to avoid updates.  If you do need to go online, you really should do so only with a fully patched Windows! 

Get a cheap second PC, or a Chromebook or something, to go online with.  Dedicate your DAW PC to offline use.
2017/11/27 23:34:42
slartabartfast
My understanding of the kill windows update service kludge is that the service will be periodically turned back on by Windows and that it will only stop "feature updates." Security updates and other "quality updates" are not loaded via the update service. That said, the custom setting for windows update in the group policy editor of Windows 10 Pro also only affects the "feature updates." I have been refreshing my information in this regard lately since a November security patch killed my printer functionality, but if anyone can point me to a reference that works on blocking all updates I would appreciate it. Disconnecting from the internet will stop Microsoft from screwing up your installation, leaving you with a zombie installation that will keep working as it was prior to pulling the plug, but it will not enable you to fix existing issues. A firewall that whitelists only the site you need may let you do things like online activation of new plugins, but there is no way to pick and choose which Windows updates you get.
2017/11/28 02:25:28
abacab
You can pick and choose your updates on Windows 10 using the Microsoft 'wushowhide' utility.

How to Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-show-windows-updates-windows-10-a.html

I have been able to prevent every 'feature update' until I am ready using this method (I stay about 6 months behind this way). 

And fyi, by disabling automatic updates in the Win 10 Pro Group Policy Editor (GPEDIT), neither the monthly security or quality updates are ever downloaded, until I click on 'check for updates'. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account