• Computers
  • About To Pull The Trigger On a New DAW PC
2017/12/05 15:22:43
Voda La Void
I'm building a Windows 7 machine to be isolated from the net after it's all set up.  It will run Sonar X1 and Mixbus.  I will need to be able to mix in the box with good quality plug-ins.  All this machine will ever be is a DAW.  I just want to be sure I am not buying stupid crap that I don't need, or not enough power or speed to handle what I'm doing. 

I ain't no genius about computers, so...

I have put together a Motherboard, cpu, memory and hard drive combination at Portatech.com that I think would work fine.  But, like I said, what the hell do I know?  

ASRock N68GS4-FX Motherboard, AMD FX 8300 CPU (8 core 3.8Ghz), 8 GB DDR3 -1600 memory and a SSD drive.  Is that appropriate?  Too much?  Too little?  This would run me about 350 bucks.  Not sure if I'll reuse my case, PS, and etc yet, but that's just standard stuff.  

2017/12/05 16:15:50
fireberd
I don't know anything about AMD CPU's, but I would budget for a new (name brand) fully modular power supply.  An "old" supply can be a potential source of problems.  A blown power supply can take out other components, e.g. motherboard, CPU, etc.  

I buy most of my computer parts from
www.newegg.com
2017/12/06 14:25:17
Voda La Void
Well I hope it was a good move because I just bought it.  Wish I could delete the thread...
2017/12/06 17:09:59
fireberd
Nothing wrong with the purchase.  It will probably work OK for you.  The power supply is still recommended and can be an "aftermarket" purchase.  

Buy a "fully modular" power supply. It eliminates the clutter (and helps air flow) inside the case of all the unused power cables.  Buy "overkill" too.  If you calculate you need, for example a 450 watt power supply buy a 600 watt.

2017/12/06 18:31:15
Voda La Void
Thanks Fireberd.  I always do "overkill" but I wasn't aware of modular power supplies.  Pretty cool.  I've always struggled with all the unused power cabling so that could be really nice.  Thanks for the tip.  
2017/12/06 22:16:29
fireberd
There are "modular" and "fully modular".  The "Modular" still have some permanent cables attached.  Go for the fully modular.

2017/12/07 23:54:02
Cactus Music
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438053

+1 to a good power supply.. I just bought this Black friday deal was $90 Can. 
What a differance in noise level. Has a energy saving switch that the fan only runs when needed which isn't much. And modular cable system is real nice. 

And 8 Gigs of RAM is OK but 16 has become normal. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account