2018/10/11 14:42:44
Starise
Any of you here ever busk? Please share your experiences. 

I thought about taking my violin to the park. At the very least it might help to control the blackbird population.
2018/10/11 15:22:25
bayoubill
another new term to lean? 

I Am still not  shure what boofing is 

2018/10/11 15:34:20
Starise
Busking is simply playing outside in public places with your instrument. 

I'm not sure what boofing is but it doesn't sound like as much fun.
2018/10/11 16:07:09
jyoung60
I busked in the early 80s all over the U.S.  Not sure how the scene has changed since then, but I had a good time most of the time.  Just watch out for kids (or maybe adults now!) who try to steal the coin from your case or hat or whatever you use.

One example is when I was on the Boston Common one day, two kids stood close to me and pretended to get into a little scuffle with each other.  Sure enough, one pushed the other, and that one 'accidentally' fell in a way that he used his hand to catch his fall... in my guitar case.  My foot immediately met his hand, and I told him to let go of the money or I'll put my full weight on.  He let go, they ran off, I kept my coin.

But 90% of the time it's a cool gig when you find the right spot to play.  It might take some trial & error, but once you find that spot, marry it.  Oh, and be sure you have a permit to busk, if your local authorities require it.
2018/10/11 16:52:59
Mesh
I've avoided basking as much as I can....I'm already a darker shade of mocha.

2018/10/11 17:35:38
Starise
Thanks for sharing Joel, I'll bet you could share a bunch more stories like that. I think it takes a lot of cahoonas to do that. If a person isn't very good I would guess they are eventually told about it.

I wasn't even thinking of putting a hat out. Maybe just playing somewhere. Probably should be careful on the location too. Getting too cold to do it now up here, maybe in the spring.
2018/10/11 17:44:48
bayoubill
I did that a lot in the 70's and 80's and 90's
I didn't charge or have a hat for money though
Mostly with my classical guitar but sometimes with a Martin D-18 (I think it was)
I was in my uniform most of the time 
Mostly around noon for lunchbox type crowds in a gazebo or town square type of thing 
2018/10/11 17:46:23
Starise
Cool! Did you have set material or were you "noodling?"
2018/10/11 18:33:22
bayoubill
I played half combo and trio repertoire (Satin Doll, Girl From Ipanema, etc) Joe Pass style and half classical guitar standards like Caprichio Arabe and Spanish Serenade. Some Chet Atkins too
2018/10/11 21:48:53
Beepster
I quite literally sang for my supper on the streets for a few years when I first landed in the city and knew all the other local street musicians. I consider those experiences to have been crucial in the defining and refining of what I do now.

I'll post some of what I learned after gatherin' up some of me thoughts. I should probably avoid too much diatribin' and reminiscing tonight though.

I've been avoiding a date with a tiny prick all week and dagnabbit I want to just get it done tomorrow.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account