2018/10/12 19:33:21
Starise
Please do post something Beepster. When you can.
2018/10/12 20:07:41
Beepster
Ya, I'm still thinkin' on it. Today was a write off (well for my original intentions) so I'd like to at least get my "urgent... MUST KNOW for safety" tips posted.

Street life is complex so it's good to know how not to ruffles any feathers. Sounds like you don't intend on going out tonight but yeah... I'll post something in a bit. I have a whole diatribe about hunting for the best "acoustically optimal" spots too which is more fun but safety first, aye?

Cheers.
2018/10/12 20:45:53
Beepster
Alright... I'm just gonna let this dribble out progressively and add to it as I gather my wacky thoughts on this wacky profession from that wacky time in my life.

As I said, safety first. Busking is generally pretty safe if you don't setup shop in Cracktown or whatever but you can draw the ire of other buskers/panhandlers.

So rule #1: Don't "Cut Other People's Grass"

That's the term on the street for when you set up shop too close to another busker or panhandler (thus potentially reducing their take of the limited amount of change jangling in passersby' pockets). Even if you are not collecting change yourself the assumption will be that you are so be aware of who's around and know that some people are very territorial about their busking/panning spots. Some aggressively so.

There are multiple ways to handle this type of thing (which I'll discuss in my next post) but the easiest way to avoid that type of confrontation is to simply not set up near any one panhandling or busking. If someone comes up and says "this is my spot"... I mean back in the old days when I needed the change I'd hold my ground (the general rule is if you ain't there it ain't your spot) but you ain't desperate and just want to play so I'd just say "No prob" and move on. Hell if you collected some change you could give it to them to get them started (or might even be all they needed anyway so they'll just go do their thing and you can keep playing).

I have a few stories about these types of intereactions that go both ways but definitely something to be aware of and sensitive to. Essentially these are desperate folks looking to feed their bellies (or perhaps a darker need) and are on a routine. If someone was more hurtin' than I was that day I'd just move along (made some friends that way too).

Now becaue you aren't collecting change that might sound weird but the change/foot traffic game is tense. With another busker nearby you may be clashing or distracting or whatever and for those thinking of giving to panhandler they may be more inclined give to the busker (because he's "doing something")... then realize "There's no place for me to give this guy money". Then they walk away confused and no one gets nothin'.

Might sound weird but there is a very complex psychology that exists at that level.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'll be back.
2018/10/12 20:56:24
jyoung60
Good stuff, Beepster.  It all comes crashing back to me as I read your post.  Yes, territories and personal space. I remember more than a few times I would attract a large crowd that the busker half a block away would complain about the noise of people singing along, LOL. Not much I could do about that, though.  For the most part, buskers know and understand the boundaries.

I was one who was doing it to survive, so the boundaries were extremely important to me.  I used to get pissed off at the ones who had a home to go to that night, with a full belly and comfy bed.  But that's a whole 'nother thing.

Your post is spot on, looking for more of your wisdom when you can.  It's been 34 years since I busked.  My memories are all of the good times, even the riot I caused in Harvard Square when break dancers invaded our territory.  That was interesting.
2018/10/12 21:21:06
Beepster
jyoung60
Good stuff, Beepster.  It all comes crashing back to me as I read your post.  Yes, territories and personal space. I remember more than a few times I would attract a large crowd that the busker half a block away would complain about the noise of people singing along, LOL. Not much I could do about that, though.  For the most part, buskers know and understand the boundaries.

I was one who was doing it to survive, so the boundaries were extremely important to me.  I used to get pissed off at the ones who had a home to go to that night, with a full belly and comfy bed.  But that's a whole 'nother thing.

Your post is spot on, looking for more of your wisdom when you can.  It's been 34 years since I busked.  My memories are all of the good times, even the riot I caused in Harvard Square when break dancers invaded our territory.  That was interesting.

Ya, you get it. It's a whole other world out there. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit (it's been almost 20 years for me) but I'm guessing many more things are exactly the same.

I would also like to add street vendors and even small business storefronts to the list of people to be sensitive to when setting up. Most are cool with it... some are not. That's a far smaller security concern than those others though so I wanted it seperate. Those conversations are usually far more polite.
2018/10/15 13:42:43
Starise
My take away here so far is, there's even competition where I would never venture to guess it exists. Reminds me in some ways of the food truck business because both are portable. You might think it would be fun to buy a food truck
and park it somewhere that lot of people go and simply cook and sell food for a profit. Think again. The local townships all require expensive permits. Competition is fierce for the better spots. The profit margins are so small that you need to work 16 hours a day to make ends meet. 

On second look, busking seems a tough rough to hoe. I guess, unless a person just takes a guitar out on the weekend and has a decent place to set up to do it part time for the fun of it. I can't imagine doing it for a living. Man that would be tough, especially on cold days when no one's around.
2018/10/15 20:43:46
Beepster
Well, I don't want to turn you off the experience but as noted there are certain street dynamics that need to be considered.

Please don't shy away from it due to my procrastinating in regards to a followup. Just kind of spaced and distracted these past few days.

Really since you aren't doing it for cash that frees you up to explore environments and people (like other buskers). I've been meaning to post a nice diatribe about my experiences when I WASN'T just trying too make some dough. That was far more educational (at least musically) than setting up in a high traffic area.

Bear with me. I will return with some more anecdotal nuggets soon enough. I absolutely must get my arse down to the professional vampires tomorrow though and apparently I've turned into a useless crazy person... yet again.

I'll get over it.
2018/10/15 20:46:42
Beepster
And yes... you seem to get it so unless you have specific questions about the "dangers" I think you'll be fine. These days though I would be far more concerned if you were seeing drug traffic stuff going on. Buskers and panners are generally nice and respectful if respect is given. Dealers? They can get significantly more tense about territory.

You see any of that crap... that ain't a good spot.
2018/10/16 15:10:32
Starise
I plan to maybe set up in a park or two out my way just so I can occasionally play outside. I doubt many will venture around there. I'll try to stay away from the buskoramas. Honestly I don't like large crowds and prefer to be somewhere off to the side, not out in a cow pasture mind you....well maybe. I occasionally play in my back yard or on my porch. So far none of my neighbors have come over to scold me or called the cops.

One time I was out back with my Martin and about a million blackbirds showed up for the concert. They were clearly attracted to my music. Might have sounded like a mating call. It wasn't. Yes sireee free fertilizer all round that day.
2018/10/16 15:44:44
pwalpwal
i don't but my cousin does, here's a little movie someone made about him

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account