• SONAR
  • see an example of a classical orch piece as inputed thru midi
2018/12/09 23:31:41
willard cottrell
I would love to look at some sample excerpts of transcripted classical orchestral works inputted thru midi and out thru GPO or IO.  I would like to study the controller settings and other plugins to improve my skills.  If this is the wrong place, where might I find some?
Thanks
2018/12/09 23:41:38
mettelus
Not sure of midi specifically, but there are some. You could also demo Notion 6, there are such pieces in the demos/tutorials. N6 is also set up to use GPO as a VST, but ARIA player may be enabled manually to use the other libraries. I forget if the demo will let you export midi, but believe it does.
2018/12/10 01:17:31
abacab
There is a good free sheet music website that has some classical transcripts in .mid file format.  http://www.mutopiaproject.org/

I don't think they were inputted through MIDI as the velocity seems constant, but some tracks seen to have variable CC: 7 (MIDI volume) controller values. http://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list

But they are good examples of classical works in MIDI format to learn with.  You can play them back through your MIDI VST of choice.  You could try humanizing some of the controller values yourself.
2018/12/10 01:20:15
abacab
mettelus
Not sure of midi specifically, but there are some. You could also demo Notion 6, there are such pieces in the demos/tutorials. N6 is also set up to use GPO as a VST, but ARIA player may be enabled manually to use the other libraries. I forget if the demo will let you export midi, but believe it does.

+1 for the Notion classical score library!  Notion also has a decent orchestra intrument sample library that is mapped by default.  Just open up the score and play it back.  Great learning tool!

The Notion Score Library is a collection of public domain scores in Notion format, and includes orchestral and piano works, such as Handel’s Messiah (complete), Mendelssohn’s Flute Concerto, Haydn’s Trumpet Concerto, Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto, and selections from Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro and Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto.

2018/12/10 04:04:42
mettelus
I typed that first post from my phone, and midi export from Notion 6 is rather gnarly! A lot of the CC info is not there, and even passing it over to Studio One 4 was lacking (no instrument assignments, etc.). I just was playing with the "Awakening Notions" piece, and sounds great in Notion itself, but is also using the built-in libraries. That option might not be viable at all for what you are seeking.

Jerry Gerber (JSG on the forums) is the first person that comes to mind when you are talking classical pieces. I cannot remember now if he has posted midi files specifically though. I just shot him a PM in hopes that he would have a couple minutes to chime in here.
2018/12/10 04:41:54
michael diemer
Try Northern Sounds forum if they are still going. There is a guy there (forget his name) who does amazing mockups.

That's an interesting approach you're taking. If it's successful I hope you share the results with us.
2018/12/13 15:00:38
stevec
michael diemer
Try Northern Sounds forum if they are still going. There is a guy there (forget his name) who does amazing mockups.

Was he by chance a Logic user?   I remember someone doing a fantastic piece using the old Garritan Stradivarius violin VST - it was freakin' awesome.  

2018/12/13 15:22:55
Jimbo 88
Check this out.   I copied from a PDF Holst's Jupiter into Sibelius, exported a midi file then loaded it into Sonar.  I little mixing and tempo manipulation, but not much.  I learned a well orchestrated piece translates very well and mixes easy.  Cinematic Strings, CineBrass Core, VSL SE and Kontact are the source of most the sounds...decent libraries, but not the top, most expensive libraries,    I did this all as just a learning exercise and I have to say the benefits are great.  Do it yourself, you will learn a ton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgyRqDFnjlw

I'm going to a lot more of this!

2018/12/13 15:25:40
Jimbo 88
I did also add a couple of modern things ..like a electric guitar in some places just for special effects
2018/12/13 15:31:42
John
I think if you want to look at a classical music score try this  https://www.classicalarchives.com
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account