• Cakewalk Instruments
  • Is it possible to capture patch change wihtin the same MIDI track during recording?
2011/08/05 03:09:28
Living Room Rocker
Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to "capture" patch change in a softsynth within a single MIDI track?  Say like, when recording a softsynth you change a patch to a different sound and then change to another patch again.  Of course, the MIDI track will playback through the current softsynth patch, but can patches change automatically at desired times during playback?

Hope I made that clear.  Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
2011/08/05 03:20:16
Chappel
Are you talking about recording patch changes while using an external synth, and changing patches on the external synth, to record Midi data or having the patches change while playing a Midi track? Both are possible.

What recording program are you using?
2011/08/05 16:50:32
GlennKay
It's pretty easy to automate patch changes. How to do this is described in excellent detail on page 216 of the Sonar X1 reference guide (I hope i can quote directly from the reference guide without getting myself into trouble w/ the forum moderator):

To insert a bank/patch change
1. Highlight the track whose bank and patch you want to change by clicking on the track number.
2. Set the Now time to the time at which you want the change to occur.
3. Choose Insert > Bank/Patch Change to display the Bank/Patch Change dialog box.
4. Choose a bank and patch from the lists.
5. Click OK.

If you have a hardware synth, there's another way of achieving a bank/patch change using midi record, as described in a 1995 SOS article:

"....use the Program Select buttons on your master keyboard to send a patch change command at the appropriate time. The patch change will be recorded into your sequencer just like any other MIDI event, and if it isn't in quite the right place, you can always go into the edit list and move it. "

Regards
Glenn 
2011/08/06 03:23:05
Living Room Rocker
Thanks for the responses,  guys,

@Chappel - I would be using softsynths (not external hardware) in SONAR X1.  But the concept would be just as you described.

@Glenn - Yeah, doing the change after recording the track I knew was possible.  But, to be honest, I didn't give it a thought that the SONAR guide would even touch on that.  Thanks for proving the reference and sorry for not doing the leg work myself.  (Cakewalk help files make it hard to find the answer sometimes.)  However, I was hoping for recording or capturing the changes in real time during recording.  That's what I meant by "capture."  It was a late late night post and my brain wasn't very sharp, not that it's usually more than dull.  Anyhow, I guess going back to find those specific points on the timeline and "programming the track" would be the only way.  Would be nice to do it in a single pass (in real time).

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
2011/08/06 11:37:51
Chappel
If you aren't using external hardware then how would you record patch changes during recording? What are you recording if you aren't using external hardware?
2011/08/06 23:54:08
Living Room Rocker
Chappel

If you aren't using external hardware then how would you record patch changes during recording? What are you recording if you aren't using external hardware?

Uh, that would be MIDI.  I also have a loop back from my sound card with which I record the audio in real time.  So, for me, it would be both MIDI and audio.  But I am speaking specifically of recording a MIDI track (with a softsynth like Rapture).

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
2011/08/07 00:23:27
Chappel
Living Room Rocker

Uh, that would be MIDI.  I also have a loop back from my sound card with which I record the audio in real time.  So, for me, it would be both MIDI and audio.  But I am speaking specifically of recording a MIDI track (with a softsynth like Rapture).

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

And what I am trying to find out is how you are generating the Midi that the soft synth plays. Where does the Midi come from? You say you aren't using external hardware (synth/controller) so that leaves creating the Midi with Sonar (PRV, Staff View, or Step Sequencer) or using a Midi file you got from somewhere else. I'm at a loss as to why you think you can record patch changes while a song plays without using an external device.
2011/08/07 02:38:06
Living Room Rocker
Chappel

Living Room Rocker

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

And what I am trying to find out is how you are generating the Midi that the soft synth plays. Where does the Midi come from? You say you aren't using external hardware (synth/controller) so that leaves creating the Midi with Sonar (PRV, Staff View, or Step Sequencer) or using a Midi file you got from somewhere else. I'm at a loss as to why you think you can record patch changes while a song plays without using an external device.

Ah, I was referring to a hardware (external) synth as opposed to a softsynth. 
2011/08/07 05:19:54
Chappel
Living Room Rocker

Chappel

Living Room Rocker

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Ok, I give up trying to get a straight answer out of you. Good luck with your problem.
2011/08/09 03:25:46
Living Room Rocker
Chappel

Living Room Rocker

Chappel

Living Room Rocker

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Ok, I give up trying to get a straight answer out of you. Good luck with your problem.

Imagine this scenario...  I can change the softsynth patches with my mouse while the property page is open and X1 is recording.  To clearify my response above, I am using a MIDI controller, but not a hardware synthesiser.  I figured you could follow the logic based on your question.  Nonetheless, I believe the first line in this present response addresses your question.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account