• Software
  • Opinions on Waves L3-16? (p.3)
2017/07/19 20:21:59
interpolated
I suppose I'm looking for a particular function rather than a certain brand. L3-16 would be in flow with my current plug-in purchasing. With an exception of a few Artist plug-ins Waves fares well in my opinion. My ideal situation would be to get an UAD Apollo device and some of their more up to date plug-ins. Not so much the Unison based ones however the Moog Filters which are excellent in my opinion, a couple more of the Precision series just to add to the workflow at the end.

Tried the latest 9.2 demo of L3-16 and the latency is greatly reduced. Perhaps because it's 64-bit and using VST3 it's working to my advantage. Last time I was getting clicks and latency bad.

I will check out your plug-ins though.

TBH I just want to be a better mixer with the tools I have rather than reinventing the wheel by splashing out for plug-ins all of the time. 

2017/07/19 22:17:50
interpolated
The TDR one looks pretty awesome. Cheaper than the Waves too. Even has a RMS meter lovely.

A serious consideration I think.

2017/07/20 14:39:44
brconflict
Waves multi-band limiters, such as the L3-LL and L3-16 has one feature I've not seen in any other plugin: Priority

When it comes to limiting, this is a feature that undeniably can help you judiciously dial in the right amount of limiting for how much the kick drum affects the rest of the mix. I never go overboard with it, and it's not a replacement for a great multi-band compressor, such as the Flux Alchemist, but it's very good with band-management in limiting. VERY powerful and unique plug-in!!

I use the L3-LL when I want to manually adjust the release times of each band, but then use the L3-16 next to perform a general multi-band limiting. Finally, for down-sampling, since neither offer this function, I'll drop in a Nugen Audio ISL 2st to handle any final overs from the output of the L3-16.
2017/07/20 18:51:04
Sycraft
I like it, but I like IK Stealth Limiter better.

As others noted, I wouldn't worry about bad Waves reviews much since people often do it just to be "cool by being not cool" sort of things. It is the illogic of "Waves is the big thing, thus they can't be good, so I don't like them." Nah, Waves are big because they are good. Their stuff works well. You can argue if it is worth what they want for it, but it does its job.
2017/07/20 19:30:14
interpolated
When it comes down to it, these software products are tried out in studio environments initially not cars and bedrooms. So I never judge a book by it's cover. 

I think some of the Waves Artist plug-ins are gimmicky but a big fan of CLA LA collection. Schep's Neve 1073 emulation.  Suppose it's come down to your end needs.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account