2011/07/29 10:04:47
leoyanes
People, 

I'd like to know if there's a simple way of creating samples of our own instruments in Sonar X1 in order to be able to use them in Dimension Pro with all the layers, filters and capabilities. Is anyone making it happen already?

Thanks in advance.

PostScriptum: Sorry if there's already some similiar thread of if the subject is deeply explored in some sort of manual.
2011/07/29 10:15:28
AT
First, you have to record the instruments like any other sampler.

For layering, etc. you need to learn SFZ.  It uses text input control. 

http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/article.aspx?aid=108

The easiest thing to do is find an program like the one you like and go to its SFZ file.  Then you copy it to a word program, make any changes and save it with the samples.

There is more on SFZ at KRV.com.  Just poke around the internet.

@
2011/07/30 08:45:28
leoyanes
Thanks AT!

I'm already taking a look at all the information you suggested.
In the future, if I succeeed, we'll have a nice Vintage Accordion layered to samples.
By now I'm just like wtf, too much information for a non-programmer musician.

Any other suggestion?

cheers
2011/07/30 14:51:12
AT
LIke I said, the first step is getting good samples.  It seems like it should be simple, but there is more work than one would think.  Consistent levels and time, then editing out wht doesn't sound like the accordian, etc.

The SFZ should be easier.  Just find an instrument file that works.  The key ranges are ... well, key, how far you stretch (if at all) the sample.  But it is pretty simple to write.  Sample 1 for key note 1, Sample 2 for key note 2.  Simple if tedious.  I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the SFZ code until you get that done.  Then you can play around w/ different parameters.

have fun.

@
2011/07/30 19:35:22
Kev999
There is a free downloadable program called sfZed that will automatically create an SFZ file from your samples.

http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

You will need to name the samples according to the note names, e.g. C1, D#1, F#1, A1, C2, etc.
2011/07/31 07:10:40
b rock
By now I'm just like wtf, too much information for a non-programmer musician.

This pair of articles might help you get started. SFZ and Grand Piano - Part I.

More information if you browse through the other articles.
2011/08/04 21:21:46
leoyanes

Thanks a lot AT, Kev999 and b rock!

Now I'm really getting into how it's done.

Gotta work now.
I'm afraid X1 won't let me... too much fun
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account