• Software
  • Any Pink Noise Generators in Sonar Plugs or Instruments?
2017/07/06 00:55:49
Thedoccal
I seem to recall that somewhere there is one but can't quite put my finger (mouse) on it.
Anyone know off hand?  MNoise Generator is a good second choice if there is none.  Free.
2017/07/06 01:24:40
Tom B
The Sonitus Surround plugin has a noise source.  The "Test noise" button activates it.  I'm not sure whether it's true "pink noise" or not.  Using the ProChannel fly-out, it looks like the noise is rolling off a bit slowly for Pink Noise, but it's difficult to tell without some kind of averaging.

I believe one of the included synth plugs has a noise source too.  Can't remember which one.
2017/07/06 01:43:28
Tom B
Update:  Found the help page for the Sonitus Surround plugin, and it says the Surround plug generates "Pink Noise".
2017/07/06 03:31:25
Thedoccal
Great will check it out.  (Who woulda thunk it would be hiding in a surround plugin!?)
2017/07/06 12:08:52
jerrypettit
Didn't realize Sonitus had that.  I just Googled "pink noise mp3" to get mine--and it's in my project template as Track 1, since I use it to help set all of my initial volumes.
2017/07/06 16:14:06
Jeff Evans
jerrypettit
Didn't realize Sonitus had that.  I just Googled "pink noise mp3" to get mine--and it's in my project template as Track 1, since I use it to help set all of my initial volumes.

I would not be dropping any old pink noise test signal into your sessions and aligning everything to it. So the big question is what is the rms level of the pink noise you have downloaded. Could be anything!

I have uploaded a -20 dB rms pink noise test signal here on my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_2Jb7O_b5BkanhGUmlTdXZzeXc/view?usp=sharing

Click the download symbol top right in order to download it. It is also 44.1K 16 bit.

*Note This is a stereo wave file so the track that is playing it also needs to be stereo as well.  You may need to add gain to this if you are working at an rms ref signal other than -20.  For example if you are working at a reference of say -18 then you need to add 2 dB of gain to this signal. (-14 would be 6 dB of extra gain etc)

Due to the nature of pink noise rms levels being slightly random you will see some slight variation but it is basically hovering around -20. Also note that if you have an accurate VU meter installed such as the Klanghelm meter set for a -20 ref it will show a little under 0 dB VU. This is normal compared to a sine wave signal.

Here is the -20 sine wave at 440 Hz. Also stereo wave file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_2Jb7O_b5BkdjdzOHpmSzNvc1k/view?usp=sharing

2017/07/06 18:03:40
glennstanton
if you have sound forge or equiv you can generate several different type of noise wav files and set their respective levels. 
2017/07/06 18:43:49
tlw
I'd be wary of using mp3s of any kind of noise for calibration. The compression algorithm removes frequencies and information by design, which changes the character and tonal quality of the noise.
2017/07/07 00:44:55
dubdisciple
The meldaproductions free bundle has a noise generator as well:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MNoiseGenerator
2017/07/07 23:27:55
Grem
Try the Melda free stuff. It's worth the asking price. If you understand what I mean : )
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account