• Software
  • BFD 3 - I underestimated this one.
2017/07/07 19:01:15
Glyn Barnes
I have had BFD3 for a whle and always thought it sounded great but until recently I had not taken the time to learn to use it's full potential. I tended call up the presets and just use stereo out when I did use it but for the most part fell back on my favourite Superior Drummer templates.

Four key features I have learnt (among others)
  • How to reveal the ambiant mics and overhead mics, reposition the mics and assign them to busses in BFD3 or to DAW channels.
  • How to reveal the multiple microphone options for base and snare drums, mix or re-route them.
  • Use the groove editor to access the range of articulations for each drum. (eg. 14 Hi-hat articulations on the kit I have open at the moment!)
  • Edit kits and create new kits, add slots etc.
These things are quite straightforward to do but just getting to grips with these four topics opened up a new world with BFD3. Thanks to Twaddle and this forum for a few pointers in the right direction.

2017/07/07 19:40:30
dcumpian
Yep. it's pretty deep. I'll admit that when I first bought it, I was deeply into SSD4, so I didn't "get it" right away. It's almost all I use now.

Regards,
Dan

2017/07/08 14:01:23
jackson white
+1 for BFD3. I came at it from the other end, bought it (BFD1.5) because it had the most 'natural'/least 'processed' samples at the time and the longest cymbal decays. You can work it pretty much like a 'real' drum kit if you're used to that. I make good use of the modeling and tech screens all the time. The FX that come with it are good as well. My project templates route everything to a separate track in SONAR for another layer of processing/mixing. 

Had to laugh though. A colleague really liked the drum sound on a couple of tracks and asked me what preset I was using. I'm going presets? This thing has presets? ... Never thought to use them because I always roll my own kits, but can easily imagine they are worth a look. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account