• Software
  • Win10 upgrade broke my internet...
2017/06/27 03:19:10
yorolpal
...after an, apparently, major Win10 upgrade today my network adapter no longer works on that DAW. So, for the time being, I'm off the net on that machine. Tried several fixes...so far none have worked. Happy, happy, joy, joy.
2017/06/27 03:42:50
highlandermak
Roll the update back. That's what I did on my studio computer. My laptop mobile studio had no issues with the update though so it's a hit or miss.
2017/06/27 20:56:03
yorolpal
Turns out it's REALLY broken.  Even the initial Microsoft tech support guy couldn't fix it.  He basically had me do all the things I'd already done and a few more and has turned me over to the "next level of support".  Should be hearing from them in a day or so.  
2017/06/28 08:15:56
GjB
Do you mean you 'upgraded' from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, or do you mean a Windows 10 'update' using Windows 10 (like Creators Update)? You say major, so I assume you mean 'update'. Was it the Creators Update by any chance?

If it was an update within Windows 10 which broke your internet, then have you tried to see if there are any driver updates for your particular computer motherboard/Ethernet? Or yes, you can rollback the Ethernet driver and tell Windows 10 not to automatically update drivers, so that the original one doesn't automatically get replaced for an incompatible one.

Are you using Ethernet or WiFi?
(You might need to use a previous Windows version driver with permissions for that same previous version. I've had to do this with at least 2 upgrades/installs.)

2017/06/30 01:37:29
yorolpal
Nope...it was just a regular...but apparently major...win10 update. The "2nd tier" guy called this morning. Tried a few things more to no avail and then just had me roll back to my previous Windows...which, of course, worked. He says that Windows won't automatically update again because it will know I had problems. So...there's that.

In any case I'm back on the world wide yawn again.
2017/06/30 12:45:22
GjB
Jolly good. (I'm usually curious about these things.)
2017/06/30 13:09:14
Grem
yorolpal

He says that Windows won't automatically update again because it will know I had problems.

I wonder how long that will last? Will you quit getting auto updates forever? Or will you get the next update that comes around?
2017/06/30 13:29:01
BassDaddy
Good question, Grem. If you don't know, you never know.
2017/06/30 13:30:49
abacab
Win 10 Pro is the best way to control "updates". 

Hiding driver updates delivered from Microsoft is also a good idea.  Best to always get drivers from the hardware manufacturer or OEM.  Maybe the exception is "class compliant stuff", or drivers for USB keyboards, mice, etc.
2017/06/30 15:04:06
yorolpal
Yup...the tech guy really didn't have any good answers to those questions.  But at least now I know how to "roll back" if needed.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account