2017/06/20 02:34:24
Primetime
2017/06/20 12:12:28
KingsMix
If switching works for you , then switch. Takes time to learn a new DAW, but why would that stop you from switching or using multiple DAW's for whatever task works better for you in another one.  With that being said, if you are happy with whatever you are using then stick with it, if that's what you so "choose" to do (freedom of choice).
To say switching will ruin your recordings is a bit extreme. You can always set time aside to learn a new DAW bit by bit, while still maintaining your solid work time inside your familiar DAW , and eventually you will get up to speed on whatever new one you are trying or leaning toward switching to.  As far as one being better over the other, I don't really subscribe to that philosophy, especially with how technology is changing and they all pretty much have the basic functions together for basic recording and mixing, sprinkled with "skills".
And on a side note, I remember the guy that made that video, and as I recall, he has switched DAW's a few times himself.  If you feel the need to switch on your journey, to find what fits for you do it.
It might slow you down for a bit till you get up to speed, but it won't ruin your recordings or skills.
2017/06/20 13:14:03
bapu
Maybe he's just subtly saying "Stick with ProTools" since that what he uses (IIRC).
2017/06/20 13:20:16
ProjectM
This is very personal, I think. I switch DAWs daily... sort of.

I have Logic in my personal composing/whatever studio, yes, it took me some months to be up to speed after being full time on Sonar and relatively new to Mac, but it's all good now. I was making music from day one.
I still use Sonar in a remote studio share
I also use Ableton Live when I feel like it - and for Live work of course.
I have to use Nuendo at this post/versioning place that I work and also feel utterly at home in Cubase. I don't really like either, however.
I stunt jobs in Pro Tools all the time - but hate using the software.
I have done a couple of projects with StudioOne
I have done a lot of tracking and editing in Sequoia.
I have a couple of iPad DAWS that I use frequently, including Garageband.
I sometimes stunt work in Digital Performer
I dabble in Reaper when at a few friends' place
I use Vegas
I use Final Cut Pro

What takes time the first time I use a new DAW is to get everything into muscle memory, but there's never been any showstopers. A confused moment here and there, sure, but nothing worth mentioning or remembering. I can always mix and edit to mine and the client's (if apliccable) expectations, needs and demands. The same goes for the rare occasion I do live mixing as well. I use my ears. The gear takes second place.

I currently prefer creating music in Logic, but I miss do Sonar for this. I couldn't stand Windows anymore so I switched. But we kept the old PC in the shared space, where we have 4 or 5 DAWs installed. We use whatever when we are there.

I have a colleague, however, an elderly guy. Give him anything else than Nuendo and he is completely lost nomatter how hard he tries. I think it's because of custom key commands. He struggle with inserting a new track in Pro Tools even when you are there with him and talking him through it.

People are just different. My approach is that transport is basically the same and an audio track is an audio track. And EQ is EQ. And insert is an insert. Figure it out once and you can use it all forever. I do respect that not everyone think like this and that is fine.

But I can't agree 100% with what he says in that video
2017/06/20 13:42:22
MarioD
I'm to old to start using multiple DAWs so I'm sticking with Sonar.  YMMV.
2017/06/20 15:55:43
Zo
No choice is wrong , only unconscious moves are ...
2017/06/20 23:43:46
kennywtelejazz
With all due respect to the person who made the video ...If that works for you Great  I'm happy for you
Other than that ....What a load of $hit
I may decide to come back here later on when I have more time to explain why I think that video is based primarily on half truths .
Kenny
2017/06/21 00:21:15
Mosvalve
I never found this guy to be that helpful. He puts stuff out there I guess to give something to people who pay for his teaching which I don't find very good but that's just me. Someone like fab dupont from Puremix is worth spending a few bucks on IMO. What I like about Fab is he gets detailed in what he is explaining and he eq's or compresses in real time as he explains. He doesn't have everything figured out already and says see what I did there? aren't you impressed?  I use three DAWS. Sometimes all three on a project. Depends what I'm doing.
2017/06/21 01:22:55
dubdisciple
I get what he is saying but I think he expressed it poorly. All things being equal, gratuitously switching DAWs is unlikely to help if you suck at mixing and think a switch will change that. However, for specific tasks, one may find one DAW more intuitive. I find programming drums for modern pop styles
far more intuitive in FL studio than sonar but mixing far more cumbersome.
2017/06/21 01:28:29
Eddie TX
He has a point, but unless you're working your DAW with a bunch of advanced functions and shortcut keys and have all those committed to memory, there's not THAT much of a learning curve with a new DAW. They all pretty much do similar things. That said, if your current DAW is working for you, why switch? There are pros and cons to each one; none is perfect.

Generally, Graham's advice is targeted to less-experienced hobbyists and bedroom producers. Nobody who's done this for more than a few years will learn much from his videos, even the paid ones (of which I've seen a few on PureMix). But his overall message, which stresses learning the gear you have, not chasing expensive new toys, and simply getting to work making music and putting it out there, is hard to argue with.

Cheers,
Eddie
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account