• Software
  • What do you guys think!!! (p.2)
2017/06/21 02:28:53
cclarry
I don't believe in having all my eggs in one basket.  As Eddie said, they all
the the SAME thing basically...it's just "how" you get there that's different
from one to the other, and, being familiar with one, you can get familiar with
another pretty easily if you want to.  But, we tend to be "lazy" and don't 
what to "stray from the comfort zone"....
2017/06/21 02:43:00
sharke
Graham Cochrane's videos often (not always) have a clickbait element to them in the title, and that's what drives a lot of his subject matter. I'm not saying they're all bad, or that he hasn't made some good tutorials. But if you look through the titles of his videos, a lot of them are of the "A Surprising Thing I Bet You've Never Thought Of" or "One Simple Step To Get Your Tracks To Pop" kind of affair.  

"Is That Plugin Preset Really Helping Your Mix?"
"One Simple Mix Move That Will Set You Apart"
"How I Used A $69 Mic And Some Headphones To Make An Album"
"Mixing Stereo Guitars - Watch Out For This"
"The Secret To Finishing Your Album"
Etc. 

He's selling content, and he's obviously studied content marketing. He knows what it takes to get people to click on a video or article. 
2017/06/21 03:00:08
tlw
I think he makes a few worthwhile points, especially if he's catering for people new to recording, DAWs and audio production.

He's right - simply switching from one DAW to another won't suddenly improve your output any more than swapping from MS Word to Apple Pages will suddenly turn you into a great novelist. He's also right that it's possible to produce good sounding results on pretty much any DAW. What I think he misses are a couple or three things.

The first is that different people mentally "see" things differently. What makes absolutely clear, obvious sense to one person doesn't necessarily to others, and switching from a DAW you find really unintuitive to one you feel at home with can make life much easier. But I don't think someone's at the stage they can make that kind of decision until they at least have a grasp of their original DAW so they know what they don't like about it.

Secondly, some things depend on what kind of music you make or record. If you do a lot of work with MIDI then a DAW that is good with MIDI and well-featured is going to do a better job than one that isn't so capable. And sometimes it's the quirky stuff unique to a particular DAW that influences the decision.

If you want what Ableton Live does and you haven't got Live then switching to it makes perfect sense. If you use MIDI a lot some DAWs are better at it than others. If you need a score editor because that's how you think or you need to print sheet music off then again, some DAWs will suit you more than others. But first of all, you need to know why you have a problem with the DAW you have and what the alternative offers.

And so on. There can be good reasons for changing DAWs - like avoiding Win10 >:-) - and if nothing else trying different ones can be an interesting learning experience in itself. But changing because you imagine one will be easier to learn or use is a gamble.

I'd also add that going crazy with accumulating hundreds of different plugins won't necessarily improve your mixes either. Until the principles of eq and compression make sense simply changing from one eq or compressor plugin to another isn't going to sort out your eq or compression issues. And I say that as someone who has far more plugins than he really needs, some or which I use a lot and others I hardly ever use. But I like to think - or maybe pretend - that I do know why I have those particular plugins.

Overdrive and fuzz pedals on the other hand, well, after 40 years electric guitar playing I just keep buying the things in the hope that somewhere out there is the magic one that will produce the exact sound in my head. Every time I step on it, without fail. :-)
2017/06/21 04:36:53
eph221
I feel everyone should turn off their computers and write on staff paper!
2017/06/21 04:39:44
TheSteven
IMHO - If you don't understand audio concepts or how a DAW works then yes switching DAWs is likely to hurt you more than help.
On the other hand if that's not an issue it can be very helpful. I find that different tools, different work flow can inspire a different stream of creativity.

Maybe a bad analogy but I write differently when composing on a guitar rather than a keyboard or even a bass guitar - though when I'm done you shouldn't (hopefully) be able to tell the source of the project or inspiration.

edited to fix typos & add clarity...
2017/06/21 05:08:29
Zo
At least he s making us discuss lol
2017/06/21 12:15:34
Nino Vargas
Zo
No choice is wrong , only unconscious moves are ...

Lol 
2017/06/21 12:38:28
Nino Vargas

People do not understand that "what is good for them sometimes not for me," In my case, I was influenced by a person and I ended up believing in his word ... I got lost because it was not what it really would be good for me. We have to stop being influenced by other people, in my case I do not watch more youtube videos or others ... Today I use Studio One more than Sonar, I changed my monitors and the microphone of my studio, because I know which is best for me.
2017/06/21 12:57:54
bitflipper
Tools should never distract from nor get in the way of the process. If you have to stop to think about how to do something in your DAW, that interrupts the creative flow. It's like having your bass player shouting into your ear during your wailin' solo, because he's spotted a hot babe in the audience and wants to point her out. It can make your killer lead go limp.

Learn your tools well and only switch them when there's a good reason to do so. When I slap an EQ onto a track, I don't want to wonder "now, was that a right-click, a ctl-click or a double-click to insert a node, or does that reset the default value?". I want the EQ to be an automatic extension of my thought process, and that's why I use the same one for almost everything. And it's why I use one DAW.
2017/06/21 16:21:46
mudgel
Primetime
Just saw this video, tend to agree..
https://www.recordingrevolution.com/switching-daws-can-ruin-your-recordings/

I watched it earlier today and must say I couldn't agree more. If you're serious about your music you're better picking a DAW and sticking with it and learning it, warts and all, because they all have warts.

Unless what you like to do is learn DAWs and not make music.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account