• Software
  • What do you guys think!!! (p.3)
2017/06/21 16:59:15
mettelus
I took the time to watch this after seeing some of the comments. Aside from the click-bait, etc., his basic point is to focus time and effort into perfecting music making (he specifically mentioned mixing), rather than looking for gear as a crutch (or excuse) for doing (not doing) so. That particular point is very valid, especially when coupled with the fact that the essential tools (I have to reiterate "essential") for mixing are present in every DAW.

One thing he does not mention is that some DAWs (or VSTs) have features which do not exist in a given DAW. When applicable, a VST is a better solution over another DAW (since your work flow isn't unhinged), but in some cases another DAW may have a specific workflow that is required but not present. The real hurdle with such is swapping work between them, or isolating work between them to seemlessly keep moving.

The main point that time (and gained experience) should be the focus in perfecting your chosen craft is sound advice. I do get the sense at times that some folks are in a death spiral of spending time seeking gear, whining, etc. over being incredibly focused on the real goal (making music) and where the hurdles truly lie - sometimes this is gear, but more often this is straight up experience. If someone wants something bad enough, it will happen (disclaimer on this one is "fame," but will spare the explanation).

2017/06/21 17:24:09
dubdisciple
I have had o use numerous DAWs due to nature of my work.  Pain in the butt but it does actually cement the main point (IMHO) of his video that learning what you have is a better use of time than looking for magical solutions in something new.  With that said, my recent switch to Studio One as primary DAW has been mostly seamless.  Disclaimer on that is the fact that the kind of material i have been working with has a great youtube channel that explains exactly what is relevant to me in a way that doesn't exist in sonar.  I have thought about doing equivalent in Sonar but i am evidently too lazy.
2017/06/21 17:42:30
mettelus
dubdisciple
... youtube channel that explains exactly what is relevant to me in a way that doesn't exist in sonar. ...

This is a massive liability to SONAR and its marketing. So much helpful material is only disseminated in house or difficult to find, so random hits by a potential customer is highly unlikely. Video visibility to the Millennials is important since most of them live off social media alone and the larger influx of new users is more likely to be hobbyists.
2017/06/21 18:28:22
dubdisciple
Agreed. I work with youth who have little patience for the "if you stick with this DAW you can eventually figure it out" approach. If they can't find an exact answer within minutes doing quick glance at youtube they move on. It's a shame because kids like what I do on Sonar but when they sit down with it, they feel lost.
2017/06/21 19:48:32
kennywtelejazz
The sub topics of this threads various messages can be very polarizing  .

Graham's view point may have some merit and value for some people . In some areas his point of view seems perfectly logical and does make sense . I will give him that ...

In short I agree with only a very small portion of what is in the video in the opening post ..
Those 2 points being 1, all of today's DAW's can produce music that are on the charts . 2 , learning workflows in other DAW's can be very time consuming...other than that the rest of that video can you fill in the blank   

if you happen to choose to use only one DAW ....fine you have my blessing especially if it is SONAR you use ...
the thing is ( for me ) there are certain workflows and features in SONAR that are overly complicated for no apparent reason that I can find justifiable ...
if you don't know what I'm talking about then maybe it is not I that needs to dig deeper into SONAR because I have dug very deeply into trying to accomplish my particular musical workflow needs in SONAR only ..

Every song I do has either started or ended up in SONAR ...it has been this way for me for years ..over 10 +
I always keep an updated project in SONAR of things I have done else where. the SONAR project gets updated as new changes occur .
What I do differently these days is I always take a sub mix or stems of my song projects and place them in Logic , Reaper, Samplitude Pro X2 , Traction Waveform and Harrison Mixbus 4 ...
While I'm just chilling out I may edit or add new parts to some of these other DAW song projects ...
FWIW, I have always found something I liked that I couldn't of gotten just in SONAR only at the time ...
Remember some of these DAW's have instruments and features that are locked in and very unique unto themselves in each corresponding DAW ...
While I'm doing this I'm just looking for another musical point of view ...I'm not looking to crest and learn every DAW at once or every Workflow under the sun ...
it all comes down in bite sized capsules I can handle ... every song I have done by the time it has been posted has been a product of at least SONAR , Logic, Reaper, and Harrison Mixbus ....

enough said ,

Kenny

2017/06/21 20:45:34
dubdisciple
I like many of his videoa, but I do find him to come across as being more than he is at times. I don't think it's intentional. I think he ran out of helpful topics and is reaching for guru stuff.
2017/06/21 21:01:18
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
I like many of his videoa, but I do find him to come across as being more than he is at times. I don't think it's intentional. I think he ran out of helpful topics and is reaching for guru stuff.

+1000 ...

I edited my post and i took a few things out ...I don't feel like eating my words today 

Kenny
2017/06/22 15:08:53
bitflipper
We probably should all eat fewer words. There seem to be fewer of them on the menu every day. Word conservation, it could be the new Green movement.

Let's start the verbal repopulation project by bringing back "gnashnab" and "snoutband"!
2017/06/22 17:50:12
kennywtelejazz
bitflipper
We probably should all eat fewer words. There seem to be fewer of them on the menu every day. Word conservation, it could be the new Green movement.

Let's start the verbal repopulation project by bringing back "gnashnab" and "snoutband"!

Yes , that is very good advice Dave , I felt I had to reel it in .
It seems I took it rather personal when Graham's video accused me of being a Whiffle-Whaffle
http://www.dictionary.com/slideshows/12-insults-we-should-bring-back?param=dcomhp#Whiffle-Whaffle
Kenny
2017/06/26 01:19:25
BassDaddy
kennywtelejazz
bitflipper

Yes , that is very good advice Dave , I felt I had to reel it in .
It seems I took it rather personal when Graham's video accused me of being a Whiffle-Whaffle
http://www.dictionary.com/slideshows/12-insults-we-should-bring-back?param=dcomhp#Whiffle-Whaffle
Kenny

Magulater yes; wiffle waffle no.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account