• Software
  • Cakewalk special for Master Writer (p.2)
2017/06/23 14:12:48
JonD
Just an FYI... Masterwriter went to subscription model (online-only) with version 3.

If you can find version 2 for sale somewhere, it's work picking up.
2017/06/23 15:45:53
TerraSin
First impressions:

Gripe 1 - Not really a fan of the GUI. It's a bit on the laggy side which when I'm in work mode can be a bit of a pain. That's one of the downsides of using a web interface though.

Gripe 2 - You can only be logged in one place at a time. While testing if the GUI lag was more of a Firefox issue, I logged in with Chrome which instantly logged me out of Firefox. This is a terrible method of doing things because it restricts access to one platform at a time. This is 2017 and many of us work on multiple platforms at once.

Gripe 3 - Catalogue exporting from what I'm seeing exports only the audio you record into Masterwriter, not the actual songs. This pretty much concludes that I would never rely on this program as my actual word processor and I will continue to manually move all my work over.

Gripe 4 - No more songuard from the looks of things.

-

Praise 1 - The slant rhyming in this is incredibly well done and one of the main reasons I bought it. I've not found anything that can really compare at this point to the way they've designed and utilize their rhyming.

Praise 2 - The phrase engine also seems to be very good at coming up with a lot of options.

We'll see how this plays out as I've got 90 days to play in it. Interface wise, I absolutely hate it. I feel like I'm using a program from 1995 rather than something modern. In the end though, if it does what I need it to do, it'll be a good purchase. It just sucks that I feel like I'm paying so much for half the features because they have gimped it so badly.
2017/06/23 16:27:02
bitman
2017/06/23 16:37:04
TerraSin
bitman
www.rhymezone.com

That is what I have used up to this point. I can say 100% that MW is much better than rhymezone at coming up with create ways to write.
2017/06/23 17:27:41
bapu
TheMaartian
This is NOT a comment on the quality or usefulness of Master Writer. There is a reason, though, that I picked Rhyme Genie/TuneSmith ($25 one time). As of version 3, Master Writer is online-only. The thing that really bothered me was that I would lose access to all of my work if I ended my subscription. I'm still unaware of any systemic way to get your work out of Master Writer and saved to some type of usable backup file. If they've added this critical feature, please accept my best Rosanna Rosannadanna!

I have V2. That's where I'll stay.

I have Rhyme Genie too.

2017/06/23 17:31:28
bapu
TerraSin
bitman
www.rhymezone.com

That is what I have used up to this point. I can say 100% that MW is much better than rhymezone at coming up with create ways to write.

If I already know what the message is and I just want a quirky rhyme I'll use rhyme zone. Especially on the go.
2017/06/27 06:15:13
RonCaird
I went for the 50% off subscription deal about a month ago.  I had been looking at MW for a while and finally took the plunge.  It has been very useful for me.  The ability to look at multiple rhymes, near rhymes, multiple synonyms etc all at once is very useful.  I have been able to make progress on a number of songs that were stuck as well as write a few new ones from start to finish.  One caveat, I tend to write lyrics first and then add music and MW seems very conducive to that approach. Sometimes it is just one verse to start, but more often, once the lyric writing gets started it gathers a momentum that carries it along.  If I mostly wrote music and lyrics simultaneously I am not sure if MW would not actually get in the way of the process.  In that case it might be more useful as a lyric refinement tool. 
2017/06/27 14:55:22
auto_da_fe
My friend lent me his username and password, I tried MW out.

There was a lot of lag at the web site, lots of click and wait.  I have good internet and WiFi so i do not think it is my PC.  

Anyone else notice this ?

JR

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account