2017/04/18 22:39:51
Musikman
Hi,
I'm probably missing some simple solution here.....In AD2 you can change the way each drum is struck..ie for the snare......rim shot, sticks, open snare hit, etc....

What I'm not figuring out is how to save that setting that I choose for that drum. There is a row of "play" buttons to hear what each type of hit sounds like on the browser page, but how can I save the strike setting I choose for that drum? As the kit is playing I'm hearing the different types of hits when I click one of those play buttons with my mouse, but I can't seem to permanently incorporate it into the demo loop that is running for that kit so that it stays. Watched a couple videos that show you have options to change the hit type, but doesn't show how to save in the video.

Btw...
**Is there an actual pdf manual for AD2?  I've found several of the other instrument manuals, but nothing for AD2. 
**Also not able to find a pdf manual for Melodyne 4, only found an "Introduction Manual", not a full manual.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

MM
2017/04/19 10:04:58
RSMCGUITAR
Just FYI, this section is for Cakewalk instruments like z3ta+ and rapture etc. You'll have better luck posting this in the software forum. If you want manuals i would check with the actual companies that make the products your looking at (ie. XLN Audio and Celemony)

I think with the hits you need to realize that the different hits correspond to different midi notes. If you drag the patterns from AD to sonar and open the clip you'll see all the snares (for example) aren't on the same midi note. What you're clicking on shows the different sounds available for that specific kit-piece but unless they are already in the pattern you've selected, you're just testing what is possibly available.

Hopefully that helps.
2017/04/19 14:14:22
scook
The AD2 manual is in C:\ProgramData\XLN Audio\Addictive Drums 2\App\ADBV0002\Manuals. Fortunately there is a link to the manual under the ? in the upper right in the AD2 UI. On that menu is found the Map Window to modify the key map used by AD2 and a document about the AD2 key map. As mentioned above, the key map defines which MIDI note triggers what instrument and how it is played.

Celemony only provides web-based help for Melodyne
2017/04/19 22:12:24
Musikman
Ok thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I'm still getting my feet wet with Platinum, so I've been trying to take one area of the program at a time and figure out what looks unfamiliar to me. I missed a lot upgrading to Platinum from Producer 8.5!

Thanks scook, I didn't think to look in the ProgramData folder, as I found a lot of other manuals elsewhere, and all over the place. I've been trying to copy them all into one folder as I find them to make things easier when I'm looking for information. When I was auditioning one of the drum sets and trying all the different ways the snare drum can be struck, I just wasn't sure how to lock in my choice of how I wanted the drum to be struck. I'll have to look more at how the drum maps work. I think I had run across a video about it on YouTube, maybe a good place to start.
2017/04/20 22:39:58
abacab
Musikman
Hi,
I'm probably missing some simple solution here.....In AD2 you can change the way each drum is struck..ie for the snare......rim shot, sticks, open snare hit, etc....

What I'm not figuring out is how to save that setting that I choose for that drum. There is a row of "play" buttons to hear what each type of hit sounds like on the browser page, but how can I save the strike setting I choose for that drum? As the kit is playing I'm hearing the different types of his when I click one of those play buttons with my mouse, but I can't seem to permanently incorporate it into the demo loop that is running for that kit so that it stays. Watched a couple videos that show you have options to change the hit type, but doesn't show how to save in the video.

Btw...
**Is there an actual pdf manual for AD2?  I've found several of the other instrument manuals, but nothing for AD2. 
**Also not able to find a pdf manual for Melodyne 4, only found an "Introduction Manual", not a full manual.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

MM

The instructions in this Knowledge Base article are very useful.  Take full control of Addictive Drums in your project!

Cakewalk has provided a drum map, a project template, and a track template for AD2 that has made AD2 my go to drum synth now.

Setting up a Drum Map for Addictive Drums 2 in SONAR
https://www.cakewalk.com/...ctive-Drums-2-in-SONAR
2017/04/21 22:36:10
Musikman
Thanks abacab, I'll check out the article, and I think the video I mentioned also is mostly based on how to set up the drum map as well.  It's a little bit of a learning curve to work with the map, I'm more of an audio guy rather than midi, but seems it would be worth the time in this case.  Over the years I mostly used regular ready-made drum loops to build my drum tracks, it just seemed quicker to me. So I never really dug too deep into Session Drummer that came with Sonar, I would just use it for single hits or to create fills if I couldn't find one in my loops library. I'm not a drummer, my primary instrument is keyboards, and secondary is guitar, but I am particular to having my drum tracks sound good, so I'll definitely need to get to know AD2 in more depth. It does seem like a pretty versatile program, and the sounds are top notch.
2017/04/22 00:22:36
RSMCGUITAR
I would HIGHLY recommend the link that abacab posted. It does all the work of drum mapping for you.
2017/04/22 00:55:28
abacab
Musikman
Thanks abacab, I'll check out the article, and I think the video I mentioned also is mostly based on how to set up the drum map as well.  It's a little bit of a learning curve to work with the map, I'm more of an audio guy rather than midi, but seems it would be worth the time in this case.  Over the years I mostly used regular ready-made drum loops to build my drum tracks, it just seemed quicker to me. So I never really dug too deep into Session Drummer that came with Sonar, I would just use it for single hits or to create fills if I couldn't find one in my loops library. I'm not a drummer, my primary instrument is keyboards, and secondary is guitar, but I am particular to having my drum tracks sound good, so I'll definitely need to get to know AD2 in more depth. It does seem like a pretty versatile program, and the sounds are top notch.

I am not a drummer either.  I have found that auditioning ready made drum loops the old way to become tedious and uninspiring.  I have used Acid and Ableton Live previously, but they never really clicked for me.

I think the secret sauce for a program like Addictive Drums, is that the MIDI drum patterns were recorded by real drummers, so there is a human feel to them.  You can drag them into your Sonar tracks and edit as you wish.  Coupled with the top notch sounds of the available kits, this is pure drum awesomeness!

The control offered by the AD2 drum map and track template gives you complete control over each kit piece in your Sonar mix, so you can mix the drums in your DAW, rather than the plugin. One MIDI track and 14 audio tracks.  Most of the individual pieces are mono tracks, with the Master, Overhead, Room, and Bus in stereo.  Mix and match!

Next best thing to real drums and mics!
2017/04/22 01:26:15
abacab
This is a good overview of the AD2 plugin itself:

And this is a good overview of the setup in Sonar for AD2 multi outputs, starting at about the 9:00 minute mark:

2017/04/22 21:41:40
Musikman
Thanks abacab, much appreciated.  I'll be checking these out. :-)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account