2017/04/23 22:19:27
Musikman
Hey abacab, I've gone through the steps of downloading the zip file and have copied/pasted the three files ok. Then reading on through the steps of "Using these files in practice" I got the project opened with the 15 tracks loaded ok, but not sure if I'm getting steps 5 & 6 exactly right ....

5. Be sure that the output of the associated MIDI Track is set to DM1.....and....
6. If necessary, go to Edit > Preferences > MIDI | Drum Map Manager and load the “AD2 Standard” map preset to DM1

What do they mean by "the associated MIDI track"? .... I assume they mean I need to check the output settings of one of the 15 tracks. I looked in the output of Track 15 and for choices I see "1-Addictive Drums 2 1" and "2-DM-1-AD2 Standard", is Track 15 the track I need to select, and is it "2-DM-1-AD2 Standard" the setting I need to change to? 

Also, is that the only track I need to change the output on? Seems right to me, but if I'm getting this wrong, could you please explain when you get a minute, no hurry, thanks!
2017/04/23 23:23:20
abacab
OK, sounds like you got the hard part done!  The rest is all downhill ...

There's two ways to get started.

1. Start with the project template.  Set Track 15 to "Output = 2-DM1-AD2 Standard".
2. Start with a new blank project (or an existing project), then "Insert > Track Template > Soft Synth Track Templates  > AD2 > AD2 Track.cwx".

If you use option #2, your drum map will be pre-selected, so all ready to go! 
2017/04/24 22:10:46
Musikman
Ok thanks, I like downhill!  So it seems I did pretty much have it right then, I just need to select Track 15 Output to= "2-DM1-AD2 Standard." I actually did use option 2, but the drum map wasn't automatically selected, track 15 output was set to "4-", so I had to manually change it to "2-DM1-AD2".

Now I just have to figure out the best way to begin adding drums to the tracks!  Let's see....the way that seems to be the easiest to get started is to go to the "Beats" tab in AD2 and find a beat, then drag it to track 15 in the track view. Once I've dropped a beat loop into midi track 15, all the individual drums are automatically separated and placed into the other mono tracks specific to each drum in the kit, right?  Then I can use the drum map in the Piano Roll View to change the way the drums are struck (ie..rim shot, open hit, etc..) by moving the midi notes in the Piano Roll, correct?

There must be a way to change/move ALL the snare notes in that beat all at the same time, or do I have to move each one individually one at a time? 
2017/04/24 22:18:11
RSMCGUITAR
Lasso select to move them all
2017/04/24 22:41:10
Musikman
Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate your following through on this thread with me.   I think I'm getting the concept now that I've dragged a beat into the midi track to test thing out. I can see the beat in the drum map and all the individual midi notes for the different drums. I actually got lucky and didn't have to Lasso them to select them all, I tried just clicking on the name of the drum in the left column of the D map and they all highlighted, so I guess there are a couple of ways to get that done.

Do you usually just drop in the beats, or do you input your drums differently? I'm wondering what would happen if I tried to use my old audio drum loops. They're wav files, so I couldn't drop them into the midi track 15, there must be a way that Sonar can convert my audio loops into midi notes so I can edit in a drum map. But I guess I'll tackle that one later! lol  I have enough to learn for now. 
2017/04/25 00:33:36
abacab
Musikman
Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate your following through on this thread with me.   I think I'm getting the concept now that I've dragged a beat into the midi track to test thing out. I can see the beat in the drum map and all the individual midi notes for the different drums. I actually got lucky and didn't have to Lasso them to select them all, I tried just clicking on the name of the drum in the left column of the D map and they all highlighted, so I guess there are a couple of ways to get that done.

Do you usually just drop in the beats, or do you input your drums differently? I'm wondering what would happen if I tried to use my old audio drum loops. They're wav files, so I couldn't drop them into the midi track 15, there must be a way that Sonar can convert my audio loops into midi notes so I can edit in a drum map. But I guess I'll tackle that one later! lol  I have enough to learn for now. 

Good to hear of your progress!

But AD2 is based on MIDI drum loops.  If you choose to use audio loops, you are on your own!
2017/04/25 15:01:37
Musikman
Thanks!

Yes I know it's midi based, but I thought I had read somewhere or have seen on one of the videos where audio can be analyzed so that it can be edited similar to midi. Not sure which part of Sonar does it, I could be mistaken too.

2017/04/25 19:16:54
abacab
Musikman
Thanks!

Yes I know it's midi based, but I thought I had read somewhere or have seen on one of the videos where audio can be analyzed so that it can be edited similar to midi. Not sure which part of Sonar does it, I could be mistaken too.

Platinum comes with Melodyne essential, that can translate monophonic audio into MIDI notes.  It is actually designed to work with vocals, but some success could be had with a solo bassline for example (see video below).

But success can be a hit or miss, depending on how clean your source material is.  Never tried with drums!

For polyphonic instruments you need the paid upgrade to the full Melodyne.

You can also match the tempo of an imported audio file.  You just drag an audio clip up to the Sonar timeline to generate a tempo map for the project that may capture the groove from your imported audio file that your MIDI track data can follow, or snap to.  The tempo trick is performed without even opening Melodyne, because it accesses the Melodyne ARA integration to do its thing.

If you have more specific questions about converting audio to MIDI, you will probably want to start a new topic about that so your question will be more visible.  Good luck!

How to convert audio into midi using melodyne (Sonar platinum)

2017/04/25 19:20:12
abacab
How To Create Easy Tempo Maps in SONAR with Melodyne 4

2017/04/25 20:03:24
Musikman
Yes thanks for that, that was the same video I had seen, it was using Melodyne.  Melodyne has similar functions to AutoTune in some ways, only Melodyne seems to have a lot more versatility to go beyond just vocal pitch correction.  I am scheduled to learn more about it soon, so I will start a new thread when I do. 

I added these 2 AD2 questions to my last post and didn't realize you were posting at the same time, so I moved it here:.....

1 - Using this AD2 track template, what is the best way to convert my MIDI drum clip (or track) done in AD2 over to audio? If I choose to either "freeze" or "bounce to clips/track", will I get only one audio clip/track mix, or a separate audio clip/track for every individual drum? Do I have the option to control and choose the result I want? EDIT: Tried and I can't use the bounce option because it's MIDI, and tried the Freeze option but it does process to audio for every individual drum track, so I have to figure a way if I only want one audio clip mix of all the drums. I can freeze all the tracks then bounce, but that seems to be an unnecessary extra step. Any thought on this?

2 - What happens if my drum track grows beyond the template, ie...if tracks 2-14 are all taken and I wanted to add in an additional single drum hit, say either to color the existing beat, or maybe add a second kick drum to beef it up a little, would I need to insert another instance of AD2 separately to do that, or is there another way? I know I can do it the old way with audio loops, but how would I do it within this template using AD2? Thanks

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account