2011/04/10 18:26:46
XenosSoundworks.com
Since Z3ta+ is a little different than most other synths when it comes to its modulation matrix, there are things that should be extremely simple to do which aren't so obvious here.  Often I'll have an LFO running and just want to route a control to increase the LFO's amplitude.  Routing it like how most of us normally would ends up turning the LFO's amplitude to zero unless a control is being used.  I wanted something that kept the LFO running at default settings, and the control to only change the amplitude of an LFO that is already active in the default state.
Below is a simple template for a dubstep wobble bass where the modwheel increases the wobble depth.  Keep in mind this trick is useful for a lot more than just wobble basses, but any sound that uses an LFO -- pads, sound effects, etc, etc, etc.  Example:  A vintage string ensemble pad where you use LFOs on the pitch of 1 or more additional oscillators to create your own chorus effect.  You want the chorus effect you made to be there when MW value is 0, and just use the modwheel to increase its depth.

http://www.4shared.com/file/hW3wim65/Xenos_Wobble_Template.html

What I did was stack 2 LFOs and copy the exact same speeds on LFO 1 and 2, route them both to Filter 1, then add the Modwheel control to only LFO 2.  Now when the modwheel is at zero, you get the wobble effect and moving the modwheel simply makes it more pronounced.  This is a workaround to achieve something that is done far more simply in most other synths, but it definitely works like its supposed to without any unwanted effects, which is suprising because we're effectively using 2 LFOs to do the job of 1.
Another trick is "matrix stacking", which is used on the pitchbend settings that change the "wobble" speed in the above template.  Sometimes you want to use values higher than the maximum settings and stacking identical mod lines accomplishes this.

Since there are a LOT of Z3ta+ users out there, I thought some of you might find these ideas useful.
2011/04/11 00:03:41
AT
Thanks for the tip, Xenos.  Always nice to have these explained.

@
2011/04/11 00:29:43
XenosSoundworks.com
Hey no problem :).  I kinda spoke too soon, though haha.  Turns out you don't need 2 LFOs or those extra pitchbend routings using that second LFO.  It's actually like this:

Source               Range             Curve                Control           Destination
LFO1                  llll                                                                    FILTER1 CUTTOFF
LFO1                  llllll                                           MODWHEEL     FILTER1 CUTTOFF
ON                     llllllllllllllllllllllll     B-LIN +             B-BEND            LFO1 SPEED 
ON                     llllllllllllllllllllllll     B-LIN +             B-BEND            LFO1 SPEED 

Once I noticed that, I kinda felt like a jackass since I had already posted this.  The pitchbend modulation is still duplicated twice, though, for more range.

I bought Z2ta+ during the first No-Brainer special a while back but didn't get to seriously play with it until yesterday.  I was wrecking my brain today trying to figure out how to get it to do this since there was no obvious "LFO Depth" parameter and was very happy to finally figure out how to do this hehe. Turns out it's similar in some ways to the way the mod matrix in Rob Papen Albino behaves. 
2011/04/11 10:48:55
AT
Xenos,

I haven't tried your idea yet.  But yea, the Curves are kinda funky to wrap one's head around. Not just the idea but what effect each has.  Zeta is good and fun, but complex.

@
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account