• Software
  • Has Anyone Renewed Their Waves Plug-Ins (p.2)
2017/03/24 11:18:10
msorrels
They update individual Waves plugins all the time but it's not possible to check if something has a newer version.  They do have a webpage that lists changes, but it isn't detailed enough really:

http://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes

So once every month or so I use Waves Central to just download and install everything again.  That way I know I have the latest versions.  You don't need a valid WUP to get the latest version as long as the major version number hasn't changed (everything is v9 right now).  So until they release v10, only renew a WUP if you have a bundle and they added a new product to it.
2017/03/24 12:21:56
Starise
Thank you for the comments. 

I don't own any bundles. I have maybe  half dozen individual plug ins. I somehow lost one of my plug in's and this is what led me to Waves central again. I was able to transfer licenses and download my missing plug-in. All of my waves plug ins work fine on my win 10 computer.

I like a few of their plug ins enough to buy them again. If I owned a large studio and used a bundle on a daily basis it might make sense. I seldom use my Waves plug ins and everything works. I see no need to wup. I wondered if I had missed something, a hidden benefit to wup? I suspect if the plug ins become obsolete and I'm forced into a corner to upgrade. I would instead look for substitutes.

If I later decided to buy a bundle it looks as if I would need to pay monthly for it. Once again, for big studios this might make sense. For me frankly, no. Maybe this is the market they are going after?
2017/03/24 12:51:41
Sam4246
Thanks for the tips on WUP everyone. I was curious if it would be worth it to pay for another year - I have the Platinum Bundle and a couple os signature Waves plugins. $300 seemed kind of steep for me. The forum has helped another person!
2017/03/24 13:05:57
Markubl2
msorrels
They update individual Waves plugins all the time but it's not possible to check if something has a newer version.  They do have a webpage that lists changes, but it isn't detailed enough really:

http://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes

So once every month or so I use Waves Central to just download and install everything again.  That way I know I have the latest versions.  You don't need a valid WUP to get the latest version as long as the major version number hasn't changed (everything is v9 right now).  So until they release v10, only renew a WUP if you have a bundle and they added a new product to it.

Thank you for the info.  I'm really surprised by this;   this is 2017, and such functionality is very common.  I mean, even free software these days have built in autoupdate functions.

C'mon Waves, really?
2017/03/24 13:55:15
bapu
I own three bundles and one single plug: Mercury (the biggie), Abbey Road and SSL. The single plug is Mushroom pusher.

WUP last cost me ~225.00. It has always worked to my advantage and lately through happenstance I got 18 months of WUP at one shot.

How did that work?

Well, a yearly WUP adds 12 months to everything I own based on the last expiry date of any plug or bundle. So right now Mushrooms WUP expires Sept 2017 (because I bought it in Sept 2016 and came with one year of WUP), but everything else is WUPped until Feb 2018. Which I bought in April 2016.

"What?", you say, "How did an April 2016 WUP get you to Feb 2018?". Well ,it just so happens that when Abbey Road released an add on to that bundle that I snagged it at a sale price in Feb 2016 (because WUP had previously expired), that pushed my Abbey Road bundle (and only Abbey Road bundle) WUP out to Feb 2017.

Then when I purchased the "full" WUP in April 2016 for everything I own, Feb 2017 for Abbey Road became Feb 2018 for everything. That exercise got me every Greg Wells plug (and a coule more) in Mercury for free.

Now, I never did upgrade to the Abbey Road tape thing. And therein lies my next entry into ~18 months of WUP again. Which I'll address in 2018.

2017/03/24 14:09:20
Starise
Could I theoretically buy a bundle and wup it every 5 years? That might make more sense. Find a deal on a bundle and wup at longer intervals. For awhile Waves had some really good deals on bundles buying to own, not renting.
2017/03/24 14:31:46
bapu
Yes you can Tim.
2017/03/24 14:51:10
cclarry
Starise
Could I theoretically buy a bundle and wup it every 5 years? That might make more sense. Find a deal on a bundle and wup at longer intervals. For awhile Waves had some really good deals on bundles buying to own, not renting.

You also have the advantage of "waiting for WUP to go on sale", which it does on occasion...
2017/03/24 17:52:42
Starise
Thanks for that info guys.

I'm going into sly, frugal plug in watch mode now. If it flies too close to me I might bite it.I have exceeded my big music purchase budget for this month, unless I attempt to bury it in other places. That might not be good for marital relations.

The good news is that anything I buy from now on will be compatible with win 10 64. No big OS transitions happening that I'm aware of. This is good for plug ins.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account