2017/05/31 07:10:21
mettelus
Jeff Evans
On the Mac you can run two different interfaces now for input and output from your DAW.  (At  different buffer sizes too)

Doh, when I saw that feature, I assumed it was for both Mac and Windows? It is still on my list to try out, but would be useful for certain, one-off scenarios for me. The complexity of the audio engine does validate the fact that performance is not "all audio interface drivers," which has seemed to become the perceived reality.

I am convinced their folks do read and monitor these forums fairly heavily. A couple posts in the SONAR forum a few days before the S1 3.5 release related directly to new features it had. Subtle, but too coincidental to blow off. Ironically, I have only been in their forums a few times, but realized quickly that one of the primarily posters there also posts here.
2017/05/31 13:36:25
BobF
I won't switch to Mac for it, but I would like to be able to have separate IN/OUT interfaces.  It would sure make using some of the boxes I have a lot easier; my FA 06 and GT-001 being two examples.

2017/05/31 20:30:16
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
I would want to see the 2 interfaces at work first plus get some in depth info on how they asure the sync ... probably not trivial since you are listening to backing track output from one interface while recording with another ... that opens the door for additional issues you won't have to worry about when using one big hi quality interface.
2017/05/31 22:38:15
BobF
Mac has aggregation capability as part of the OS.  Or so I hear.

2017/06/01 00:26:24
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
Funny thing is I wasn't planning on jumping ship and really don't consider it that way, although missing upgrade deadline likely factors now. I honestly prefer mixing in sonar. I do find getting things to just work easier on studio one. Controllers have been damn near effortless where as i struggled getting transports and controllers to work right with Sonar.

What I meant by jumping ship was a couple of song posters that were real nice folks checked out Studio One
( pre X3 days ) and they quietly left the forum w out any fanfare or good byes ..
Then there was a few fellas about a year or so ago that kept beating a S O War Drum . They couldn't help themselves when it came to outright butting heads w Craig in multiple threads and causing a lot of useless forum contention .. 

dubdisciple , you are too much of a good person ..we don't want to loose you

BobF
I would like to be able to have separate IN/OUT interfaces.  It would sure make using some of the boxes I have a lot easier; my FA 06 and GT-001 being two examples.

+1

BobF

Hi Bob , when I saw these two posts of yours , so I decided to try some thing out that I have always wanted to try ...
I was just sitting here reading the forum using my 10 year old i Mac .
I didn't have my audio interface connected since I was just using the on board computer audio to watch u tubes and surf the web.
I went into the closet and grabbed my Yamaha THR 5 ..hooked it up to the i Mac VIA USB .
Then I went into System Preferences and set my Computers input to the Yamaha and my output to internal speakers..
I opened up Reaper because I had a project that was local on my machine ...that meant I didn't have to connect my external HD that has all my Logic and other Mac based instrument samples and  loops...
Upon opening Reaper , it told me I didn't have an audio interface ( my default is my 2i4 ) so I went into Reaper set my audio input for the Yamaha , then I set my output for the built in out put ...
To make a long story short I laid down a guitar track using the Yamaha with very specific tones ..
Reaper recorded it perfectly ...I think the only small glitch I had was after I recorded my playing I had to set my freshly recorded track to an output for Reaper to blend it with the other audio of my project for play back ...
( When I had recorded I used the Yamaha for monitoring my guitar playing in real time )

FWIW, I have had the ability to do this for years ,
Yet in all honesty , this is the first time I have ever tried doing this workflow
Now I'm like What! W T Hell Kenny ..... What have you been waiting for ?  I guess it's better late than never
I would love to be able to do this type of thing in Windows ..
If Studio One can do this in Windows I will be leaving Prime and upgrading real soon ...

all the best,

Kenny

2017/06/01 01:37:00
BobF
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
Funny thing is I wasn't planning on jumping ship and really don't consider it that way, although missing upgrade deadline likely factors now. I honestly prefer mixing in sonar. I do find getting things to just work easier on studio one. Controllers have been damn near effortless where as i struggled getting transports and controllers to work right with Sonar.

What I meant by jumping ship was a couple of song posters that were real nice folks checked out Studio One
( pre X3 days ) and they quietly left the forum w out any fanfare or good byes ..
Then there was a few fellas about a year or so ago that kept beating a S O War Drum . They couldn't help themselves when it came to outright butting heads w Craig in multiple threads and causing a lot of useless forum contention .. 

dubdisciple , you are too much of a good person ..we don't want to loose you

BobF
I would like to be able to have separate IN/OUT interfaces.  It would sure make using some of the boxes I have a lot easier; my FA 06 and GT-001 being two examples.

+1

BobF

Hi Bob , when I saw these two posts of yours , so I decided to try some thing out that I have always wanted to try ...
I was just sitting here reading the forum using my 10 year old i Mac .
I didn't have my audio interface connected since I was just using the on board computer audio to watch u tubes and surf the web.
I went into the closet and grabbed my Yamaha THR 5 ..hooked it up to the i Mac VIA USB .
Then I went into System Preferences and set my Computers input to the Yamaha and my output to internal speakers..
I opened up Reaper because I had a project that was local on my machine ...that meant I didn't have to connect my external HD that has all my Logic and other Mac based instrument samples and  loops...
Upon opening Reaper , it told me I didn't have an audio interface ( my default is my 2i4 ) so I went into Reaper set my audio input for the Yamaha , then I set my output for the built in out put ...
To make a long story short I laid down a guitar track using the Yamaha with very specific tones ..
Reaper recorded it perfectly ...I think the only small glitch I had was after I recorded my playing I had to set my freshly recorded track to an output for Reaper to blend it with the other audio of my project for play back ...
( When I had recorded I used the Yamaha for monitoring my guitar playing in real time )

FWIW, I have had the ability to do this for years ,
Yet in all honesty , this is the first time I have ever tried doing this workflow
Now I'm like What! W T Hell Kenny ..... What have you been waiting for ?  I guess it's better late than never
I would love to be able to do this type of thing in Windows ..
If Studio One can do this in Windows I will be leaving Prime and upgrading real soon ...

all the best,

Kenny

I don't think you'll see it in Windows, Kenny.

I also have a THR.  What I would like to be able to do is use the USB audio connections of the THR, GT, FA, whatever, but continue to monitor via my primary interface/monitors - without switching cables around.  The way I use any of those now is to feed the analog OUTs to my primary i/f.  Extra cables and conversions.  Yuch.  Especially when USB is connected for control anyway.  Oh well.

The THR is an awesome box.  I use it as my i/f with a laptop when I'm killing time in hotel rooms.  I'm amazed at the quality of the sound as an amp and as an FRFR speaker system.  Yamaha got the THRs right for sure.

2017/06/01 01:45:11
Jeff Evans
The dual interfaces all work fine on a Mac. I can run Studio One on my iMac and I have tried it with an RME Fireface 800 interface connected to the firewire 800 port and a Focusrite interface connected to the thunderbolt port.  Cool thing is you can select either or the same one for record or playback.  Sync all seems to be fine and both locked to the computer.  I am doing a big session tomorrow and will run both.  Different latencies can be set for either.

2017/06/01 04:22:51
kennywtelejazz
BobF

I don't think you'll see it in Windows, Kenny.

I also have a THR.  What I would like to be able to do is use the USB audio connections of the THR, GT, FA, whatever, but continue to monitor via my primary interface/monitors - without switching cables around.  The way I use any of those now is to feed the analog OUTs to my primary i/f.  Extra cables and conversions.  Yuch.  Especially when USB is connected for control anyway.  Oh well.

The THR is an awesome box.  I use it as my i/f with a laptop when I'm killing time in hotel rooms.  I'm amazed at the quality of the sound as an amp and as an FRFR speaker system.  Yamaha got the THRs right for sure.

Hi Bob,

I hate to say it ...that is kinda what I thought Oh well it was a nice little dream while it lasted ...Mac only ...

Yes I agree with you .The THR is an awesome box  small yet mighty .
I have always been impressed with how good it sounds .Even more importantly how well the amp responds as I change my touch while I'm playing my guitar

My experience with the THR has been mostly positive as far as using it as a standalone hardware app...

Just like you , I have been somewhat disappointed at how hard it is to run the THR inside of Windows to SONAR.
FWIW, I have never tried using it as a USB only replacement for my sound card in SONAR so I can't speak on that just yet. I may have to eventually give that a try just to see what happens ...
I did it like you did , cabling up the best I could with what I had ...

I guess the best thing that has happened to me and my little THR in a long while has finally happened today ..
This was the first time I was able to record it the way I have always wanted to ...

nice talking with you ,

Kenny
2017/06/01 19:50:25
dubdisciple
Kenny.  Definitely not losing me.  Despite enjoying Studio One (and Logic for that matter), i still think Sonar is criminally underrated among DAWs. There simply is no perfect DAW.  I can find strengths and weaknesses among them all.  There are things off the top of my head i can say Sonar is preferable to me. IMO Sonar's bundled instruments are superior.  Presence sounds super thin compared to Dimension. Rapture(another underrated Cakewalk product) and Z3ta+ both are preferable to me than Mai Thai (a decent synth but too much CPU). I always found it weird that so many feel the need to bash products when they choose to use another.   Even though i missed deadline, i am hoping Cakewalk has another last chance deal when i have the spare cash.
2017/06/01 23:26:07
Genghis
I probably use Studio One these days more than SONAR, but I do still use SONAR for some things, and there is one feature that I prefer very much in the Cakewalk world compared to the PreSonus world...

This forum! 

I still update SONAR and try to keep up with what is new, but I find that I read the Software forum here because it's a good way to keep up with what is going on with all kinds of plugins, not just Cakewalk stuff.  I'll be checking out the most recent update, but man, I really like the new low-latency native monitoring in Studio One.  That feature alone makes me glad I started learning to use other applications.  (I still find things that I know how to do in SONAR that I have to Google for how to do them in Studio One, but I'm getting better.)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account