2017/06/02 02:10:53
dubdisciple
Genghis
I probably use Studio One these days more than SONAR, but I do still use SONAR for some things, and there is one feature that I prefer very much in the Cakewalk world compared to the PreSonus world...

This forum! 

I still update SONAR and try to keep up with what is new, but I find that I read the Software forum here because it's a good way to keep up with what is going on with all kinds of plugins, not just Cakewalk stuff.  I'll be checking out the most recent update, but man, I really like the new low-latency native monitoring in Studio One.  That feature alone makes me glad I started learning to use other applications.  (I still find things that I know how to do in SONAR that I have to Google for how to do them in Studio One, but I'm getting better.)

My sentiments exactly. I struggle to do some basic things, but fortunately the things i need to do for my students right now are pretty intuitive.
2017/06/02 08:15:54
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
Kenny.  Definitely not losing me.  Despite enjoying Studio One (and Logic for that matter), i still think Sonar is criminally underrated among DAWs. There simply is no perfect DAW.  I can find strengths and weaknesses among them all.  There are things off the top of my head i can say Sonar is preferable to me. IMO Sonar's bundled instruments are superior.  Presence sounds super thin compared to Dimension. Rapture(another underrated Cakewalk product) and Z3ta+ both are preferable to me than Mai Thai (a decent synth but too much CPU). I always found it weird that so many feel the need to bash products when they choose to use another.   Even though i missed deadline, i am hoping Cakewalk has another last chance deal when i have the spare cash.

Hey dubdisciple ,

I was hit very hard with outside of music time sensitive financial responsibility when they were offering the deal.
I literally had to go with out in other areas to make it happen ...
Squeaked in with around a week and a half to spare on the deadline .
FWIW, I sure hope Cakewalk does bring back the lifetimes deal to give folks another shot at getting a great deal  . 

Yes Logic is a Great DAW ...I have Logic 9 . That's as high up as I can go in Logic with my older Mac's .
I Love the bundled instruments and plugs that come with both Logic and SPlat ..
When I have the need I will use both programs in a song project.IMHO they seem to complement each other well .

Yes I happen to agree with you , there is no perfect DAW ( at least right out of the box ) they all seem to be in a state of flux and constant development ...
Ideally even if there was a perfect DAW I would be still hitting the same brick walls I'm hitting now ..
I hate to say it but Ole Kenny needs an upgrade because he may turn out to be the weak link in the signal chain

Yeah sure,  w out VST support the Studio One version I'm demoing has some pretty weak sounds ..at this point in time I'm more OK finding out if Studio One has the type of workflow I can be able to work in ...

Hey ,  it was nice talking with you ,

all the best,

Kenny
2017/06/02 13:22:13
dubdisciple
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
Kenny.  Definitely not losing me.  Despite enjoying Studio One (and Logic for that matter), i still think Sonar is criminally underrated among DAWs. There simply is no perfect DAW.  I can find strengths and weaknesses among them all.  There are things off the top of my head i can say Sonar is preferable to me. IMO Sonar's bundled instruments are superior.  Presence sounds super thin compared to Dimension. Rapture(another underrated Cakewalk product) and Z3ta+ both are preferable to me than Mai Thai (a decent synth but too much CPU). I always found it weird that so many feel the need to bash products when they choose to use another.   Even though i missed deadline, i am hoping Cakewalk has another last chance deal when i have the spare cash.

Hey dubdisciple ,

I was hit very hard with outside of music time sensitive financial responsibility when they were offering the deal.
I literally had to go with out in other areas to make it happen ...
Squeaked in with around a week and a half to spare on the deadline .
FWIW, I sure hope Cakewalk does bring back the lifetimes deal to give folks another shot at getting a great deal  . 

Yes Logic is a Great DAW ...I have Logic 9 . That's as high up as I can go in Logic with my older Mac's .
I Love the bundled instruments and plugs that come with both Logic and SPlat ..
When I have the need I will use both programs in a song project.IMHO they seem to complement each other well .

Yes I happen to agree with you , there is no perfect DAW ( at least right out of the box ) they all seem to be in a state of flux and constant development ...
Ideally even if there was a perfect DAW I would be still hitting the same brick walls I'm hitting now ..
I hate to say it but Ole Kenny needs an upgrade because he may turn out to be the weak link in the signal chain

Yeah sure,  w out VST support the Studio One version I'm demoing has some pretty weak sounds ..at this point in time I'm more OK finding out if Studio One has the type of workflow I can be able to work in ...

Hey ,  it was nice talking with you ,

all the best,

Kenny

Always good to talk to you. Cakewalk has the best forum and I have always appreciated the freedom to discuss competing software here. I do get annoyed with those that come here to bash our host.

We are still using Logic 9 at teen center. We have discussed upgrading, but the benefits didn't warrant the cost.

I think Studio One Prime severely misrepresents Studio One worlflow. For example, I discovered that one could create an extremely efficient sampled drum workflow using Sample One. I really don't like Trap, but working at urban programs necessitates knowing how to make it. Intricate hi-hat and snare patterns mean dedicated channels for those are a must. A simple feature like sample one's ability to cycle through the folder of any sample you drop in is a serious time saver. I have wanted a similar workflow in cakewalk for years.
2017/06/02 13:22:58
dubdisciple
I do love Mac's ability to use two interfaces.
2017/06/02 16:21:25
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
I do love Mac's ability to use two interfaces.

Yes so am I   I may have just tried it recently w my Yamaha THR 5 ....

Now that I have found out how easy this is to do on a Mac I'm gonna have to start using my Apogee GIO interface more often

dubdisciple

Always good to talk to you. Cakewalk has the best forum and I have always appreciated the freedom to discuss competing software here. I do get annoyed with those that come here to bash our host.

We are still using Logic 9 at teen center. We have discussed upgrading, but the benefits didn't warrant the cost.

I think Studio One Prime severely misrepresents Studio One worlflow. For example, I discovered that one could create an extremely efficient sampled drum workflow using Sample One. I really don't like Trap, but working at urban programs necessitates knowing how to make it. Intricate hi-hat and snare patterns mean dedicated channels for those are a must. A simple feature like sample one's ability to cycle through the folder of any sample you drop in is a serious time saver. I have wanted a similar workflow in cakewalk for years.

Yes dubdisciple,

Hey World listen up ...Viva The Cakewalk Forum ...it is the best forum period

Yeah some of these guys that want to come here and rock the boat. I don't know man, whats the payoff for them?
They always seem to end up drifting down the road eventually after what seems to be a long painful while 

I had my Mac for a few years before I had gotten Logic 9 . I knew I wanted it because I was using MainStage 2.
I was saving up to get Logic 9 and then Apple pulled it from the app store when Logic X came out ..
I was like WHAT ? My i Mac is running Lion and I had no way of getting Logic 9 unless I could find it used ..
Eventually i got lucky . A former Mac store genius was looking to sell his boxed set w all 9 disks ..
He wanted $120 bucks for it so I met him outside a local Target store .
I brought my big A$$ed dog Duke with me because it was a real nice night out to be outdoors ...
After I handed the guy a hundred and twenty bucks  we wound up BS'ing for about an hour ....
Duke was working him over the whole time giving him the look , rubbing up against him ,  wagging his tail , and  wanting to be pet ...Duke has got that Velcro Dog thing down to a science because he practices on me ...

When we were done talking the guy looks at me and Duke and he says to us "you guys seem like nice people " and he hands me back 40 bucks So Hell Yeah I can roll w Logic 9 and be OK w it. Got's some good Mojo & Karma ..

Sure Studio One Prime may be real light feature wise and it may not be the best way to get an idea of the full program ...I can understand that ...I am looking for something that I haven't seemed to have found yet
At the very least if I can get familiar with it I can teach it to my car mechanics son ...
The kids father helped me out big time and saved me a lot of money while we fixed my one way car ...
I offered to buy them Home Studio ..it looks like they want to go with something real simple and free ....
Heck I might have to put my wallet under house arrest anyway if a few bucks show up .I'm a DAW whore at heart 
I'll have a fling with any musical DAW that can stand to be in the same room with me

all the best ,

Kenny

2017/06/09 16:02:07
Starise
I'm curious. How exactly in basic terms does  the new latency compensation work? 

I am also  on the forum over there and I attempted to find out more. I didn't find out much. There were a few having issues with it.

Apparently maximum use of it is conditional on a few factors. It seems to use cpu cycles re distribution during tracking similar to the way an older PT setup worked. It doesn't appear to work 100% for everyone. In fact, a few have reported less latency with the compensation box unchecked.

Do I need specific hardware to utilize the new function? Is this more a feature for Mac? Is this only a thunderbolt feature?

I think Presonus should be more clear on who can use it and the limitations.
2017/06/09 16:31:21
dubdisciple
Starise
I'm curious. How exactly in basic terms does  the new latency compensation work? 

I am also  on the forum over there and I attempted to find out more. I didn't find out much. There were a few having issues with it.

Apparently maximum use of it is conditional on a few factors. It seems to use cpu cycles re distribution during tracking similar to the way an older PT setup worked. It doesn't appear to work 100% for everyone. In fact, a few have reported less latency with the compensation box unchecked.

Do I need specific hardware to utilize the new function? Is this more a feature for Mac? Is this only a thunderbolt feature?

I think Presonus should be more clear on who can use it and the limitations.

I confess that i have no idea how it actually works.  i can attest that it does indeed work on windows. using Sonar with my laptop with wireless card enabled is latency hell.  I'm sure it doesn't work for everybody, but everyone i know personally seems to have found it useful.
2017/06/09 16:39:21
Genghis
I find it working very well for me and fits my workflow. I use an RME FireFace 400, and get tracking latency around 6-7 ms. and have the dropout protection on high so that the other tracks are always playing back with low CPU cycles. 

I don't know much about the details on how it works, but it runs the mix tracks at whatever latency you have the dropout protection set for (I have it max, or 2048 samples), and your live tracking is whatever you have the buffers set to.  I have buffers at 64 on my RME.  Strangely if I lower to 48 on the buffers, the live input for a track latency goes down a smidge, as expected, but my soft synth latency goes up.  So I leave it 64 and find that it is more than adequate.
2017/06/09 17:38:52
Starise
The little info I've gathered is that it seems to work better on larger mixes. 100 tracks playing back and recording tracks at the same time. This would probably be tough on any average laptop. I really don't know. Some are reporting problems with it. Since Presonus is touting a new interface I wondered if it works better with that. Having P hardware doesn't seem to matter for some. 
2017/06/09 20:42:48
Jeff Evans
You might want to start by reading this. One of our forum members has kindly written this document:

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=25650&hilit=Low+Latency+Monitoring+handbook

Go to the very first post and you will see a file to be downloaded.

There is some confusion surrounding it for sure.  There are two types of low latency monitoring as well.  One for audio and the other for virtual instruments.  They are two different things.  The audio side of it works very well.  In terms of virtual instruments though there is an improvement but it is at the moment achieved by not using the low latency instrument mode.  (I have been doing some exhaustive testing of virtual instrument response times lately. The lowest I have achieved is 2.9 mS which is damn fast!)

There is also hardware low latency monitoring with certain Presonus interfaces and this is different again to LLM for audio.  That is explained in the handbook.

Thunderbolt being so fast shows up a 16 samples buffer option which actually does speed things up again in both instrument and audio modes.  On Macs the thunderbolt option is standard but I am sure it could be achieved on PC's as well.  I  have a loan of a RME Fireface 800 interface and the 16 sample setting shows up on it for some reason but not on my PCI based RME interface though. 32 is the lowest setting there.

The input and output buffers are now split and can be set separately which is also very cool.  Dropout protection is also another thing again too.  It stops your session from breaking up with super large sessions and it works very well. Even when your CPU is pushed hard (to 100%) the music will still play perfectly.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account