2011/02/25 16:03:45
Leonidaslost
This post which is my first will explain how much a nube I am so here goes.

I am an experienced bass player and want to write songs so the band can hear the basics and take them forward from there; so all I need is a fairly rough but clear output to get the song across.

I am a gamer so have a good computer with 2gb of Ram and very fast dual core P. I bought the cakewalk UA-25EX (which I think is great). This comes with Sonar LE and Rapture 32 LE1. I have an M Audio Oxygen 49 as my keyboard which seems to work with cake walk. Sonar LE is quite sufficient for my purposes at the moment and I am getting used to the software. So here are my questions; forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place:-

1 - How do I get additional instruments for the Cakewalk Sound Centre (CSC) or indeed from any other source? For instance I have access to power chords but it would be great to have access to straight acoustic guitar chords since that features in our band. I need full chords for ease of use - just like the power chords. Quality acoustic sound is not a problem at this stage.

2 - When I insert a new track I notice I have to use soft Synths rather than midi to access CSC. This is fine but I wonder why? Also sometimes I come back to a project and find the soft synth option is not available (grayed out). Any ideas why?

3 - What is Rapture for? - Yes I am that dumb

I like Sonar LE and since I started with this, will upgrade to a full Sonar product when I am more proficient. Of course I don't wish to do that until I have some education in this software.

So that's it from a good bass player but a rubbish DAW user. Any help would be much appreciated. At this stage I do not wish to spend too much money ($30max?) pending an upgrade to the complete home use Sonar software.
Thanks Guys

Peter from Ireland
2011/02/25 16:40:24
AT
Peter,

1.  Not sure.  I'm not sure even what you are asking.  I haven't used CSC that much - just perused it.  If it has acoustic guitar you play chords from teh keyboard, or input them manually.  I'm not sure exactly how SONAR LE does that.

2.  CSC is a soft synth.  You insert it into a track and play a midi keyboard to get sounds.  Alternately, you can input notes.  I don't think it has staff view, but I may be wrong about that.

3.  Rapture is another soft synth.  Some of the CSC sounds are taken directly from Rapture.  It should have plenty of basses and guitars if you are wanting those.  even the LE version of the synth should give you a nice variety, tho not much programming.  Also, if you have the full version be sure to go to Patch Arena.com and get the Museum soundset (free!).  Lots of old bass synth sounds, keys etc.

Keep asking questions and working - it should all make sense before too long.  You really need a musical keyboard for softsynths and should be able to pick up a small one for your asking price.  Otherwise you have to input notes/chords manually in the editor.  You may find that acceptable, but most of us (even non-keyboardist) find it easier to hit the old black and whites.

@

PS, check out the expansion pack thread that is up now.  Tim Swartz (well known here) has put out stuff for it (along with other Cake synths).  maybe there is something right up your alley.
2011/02/26 08:16:53
Guitarhacker
Does CSC come with the LE version? I thought it didn't....

BUT.... regardless.

To get more stuff... BUY the BOXED version of MC5 in a local store. Load MC5 on the computer and then get the 5.0.5.6 update patch form the Cakewalk site. It will upgrade MC5 to the latest version and it will update CSC to 1.1 which includes a bunch of new instruments.

Cake also has some add on packs now for CSC that are available in the store on line.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account