2011/02/16 06:55:53
giankap
DanZ

Imagine buying a new car and finding that the turn signal stem is now on the right side instead of the left, the steering wheel turns the car to the left when you throw it to the right, and the gas/break/clutch pedals have been reversed, forward gear is now reverse and reverse gear is now forward. You'd have to learn how to drive all over again.

That's what the new version of Cakewalk software feel like to me. I've downloaded several of the trial versions of Sonar, and found the new interface to be confusing. It's more geared for audio users than MIDI sequencing users. The screens look different, the old keyboard shortcuts that I'm familiar with are gone. It's like having to learn to program all over again.

At this point I'll search for some other sequencer program before I pay to upgrade to any new version of Cakewalk. They've left their original supporters in the dust in favor of newer, more complicated versions of their software, when a tweak or two that are relatively easy for them and would keep us older users happy would have done the trick -  and they could have charged us $59 - $79 for it.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep a second machine with at least WinXP on it to do my MIDI programming work, and keep a backup of the diskette on CD ROM just in case my floppy ever fails. Cakewalk, I knew ye well...

my dear friend you have to understand that most of the members here are as old cakewalk users as you are. the difference is that most of us work in audio as well. if you want to use cakewalk software only as a midi sequencer, this is very respectable but unfortunately that would make you the exception here. cakewalk didn't abandon their oldest customers, they've just offered more capabilities in their software for the ones that needed them. and that's the majority of people in this forum.
2011/02/16 07:12:06
chuckebaby
hey if i can run cakewalk proaudio 9.0 on windows 7....and o ya...ps...daveny is very sensitive when it comes to windows 7..hes a bigtime supporter..lol..(pssss dave){im whispering}...i love windows 7 too.
2011/02/16 07:17:37
chuckebaby
DanZ

Imagine buying a new car and finding that the turn signal stem is now on the right side instead of the left, the steering wheel turns the car to the left when you throw it to the right, and the gas/break/clutch pedals have been reversed, forward gear is now reverse and reverse gear is now forward. You'd have to learn how to drive all over again.

That's what the new version of Cakewalk software feel like to me. I've downloaded several of the trial versions of Sonar, and found the new interface to be confusing. It's more geared for audio users than MIDI sequencing users. The screens look different, the old keyboard shortcuts that I'm familiar with are gone. It's like having to learn to program all over again.

At this point I'll search for some other sequencer program before I pay to upgrade to any new version of Cakewalk. They've left their original supporters in the dust in favor of newer, more complicated versions of their software, when a tweak or two that are relatively easy for them and would keep us older users happy would have done the trick -  and they could have charged us $59 - $79 for it.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep a second machine with at least WinXP on it to do my MIDI programming work, and keep a backup of the diskette on CD ROM just in case my floppy ever fails. Cakewalk, I knew ye well...

im not sure youve researched this enough,,because oddly enough..the keyboard short cuts..alot of them are indeed the same...you also make it sound like the stop button now controls playback and the rewind button is now the record button..im not sure what demos youve been using but i jumped right from pro audio 9.0 to homestudio and then x1 a week later..the learning curve was there but not really what you describe...dont undercut yourself..you'd do just fine ..and youd know your way around fine..except maybe the new gui..that might take a few hours,but thats a small price to pay to play with the big boys.good luck
2011/02/16 09:44:30
57Gregy
I'm interested to know what you can do on CW 3 regarding MIDI sequencing that can't be done on the later Cakewalk DAWs.
The audio features are not mandatory; you can select the 'MIDI Only' template and click away. And Music Creator 5 is only $35 for the download. That doesn't include all of the sounds for the soft synths (the boxed version has everything for $40), but you won't need them anyway.
I've been doing MIDI sequencing (I think ) for years on MC 2003, MC Pro 24 and SHS6.
I'm not trying to start an argument; I really want to know what the differences are.
2011/03/24 07:57:55
kitewiper
Hi there,

Im glad to tell U that i just tested the Cakewalk 3.01 on a PC running Windows 7 32-bit version.
And everything worked perfect!
I have tested on a 64-bit system also, and that did´nt work.

Kind regards

Pvk.
2011/04/14 15:36:17
musicheals
And you can still pick up a USB floppy drive from Ebay.  They used to be targeted to the laptop crowd, but now they're an asset for these kinds of "oldies".
2011/04/14 18:59:08
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
fhender

I use Cakwalk 3.01 with Windows XP...How can I use it with Windows 7 , wich driver do I need ?

Greetings
Hen

Disclaimer: although we do not officially support Cakewalk 3.01 on Windows 7 this might help you out.

1. Right-click on the .exe or shortcut and choose 'Properties'
  2. Click on the 'Compatibility' tab
  3. Under 'run this program in compatibility mode for:' choose WinXP
  4. Under 'Privilege Level' section check off the box 'Always Run as Admin'
  5. Click Apply and then OK
No promises that will work but it can't hurt, especially since there is no way on earth that 3.01 is UAC compliant the admin switch might help.  another solution might be to run WinXP mode.  Check out: http://www.microsoft.com/...rtual-pc/download.aspx for more info.

@Danz - no promises but I will look into it we have been looking at ways to re-distribute some of our older products as downloads
2011/04/14 19:01:47
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Copying the floppy to CD, etc. would only be a backup measure. The files would have to be copied back to a floppy for installation or recovery of the program, because the setup routine searches for files on drive a:. I tried running setup from a CD backup once, and got error messages to the effect of, "Can't find files on drive a:"

I would really hope that we didn't make the installers drive letter dependent (but I mean really who knows the 80's were crazy times).  If you copy the files onto a USB drive and don't have a floppy or a drive at all you can probably 'hack around' it by changing your drive mapping so the USB drive is A
2011/04/14 19:51:10
Beagle
Wow - talk about service!

great deal, Willy!  thanks for chiming in!  and that's interesting that you're looking at making older products available as downloads!  that would make a lot of previous customers happy  who have broken their disks or lost them or whatever.
2012/12/11 14:17:27
joepicker
I know this is an old thread, but I just joined the Forum after 10 years of using Cakewalk.  I have Home Studio XL 2002.  I just tried to install it on my new laptop with Windows 7, and it hangs up during the launch.  I assume this version is too old and has the same problems as Cakewalk 3.01 with Windows 7? Can someone tell me if I definitely need to upgrade to a newer Cakewalk version?  Thanks. - joepicker

planetearth

Unfortunately, you probably can't get it to work with Windows 7, especially the 64-bit version. There are just too many things that have changed between Cakewalk 3 and Windows 7.

Windows XP was a lot more forgiving of 16-bit applications, and had relatively lax security. Windows 7 (64-bit) doesn't allow 16-bit applications, and has ridiculously severe security "features". These "features" will block many parts of Cakewalk from working properly.

Sorry about that.

daveny5

Windows 7 (64-bit) doesn't allow 16-bit applications, and has ridiculously severe security "features".

That's a bunch of baloney. It has great security features which are MUCH more transparent than Vista. Windows 7 is the best Windows ever. It may not run 20 year old programs, but I doubt Cakewalk 3 runs on XP either.

If you must run that ancient program, get Windows 7 Professional. It has a virtual XP environment, IF your computer can handle it. Its time for you to upgrade to a newer version of Cakewalk. You're missing out a lot trying to use Cakewalk 3. Otherwise, stick with XP.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account