2018/11/13 17:31:20
batsbrew
i don't know anyone that listens to music in mono.

2018/11/13 19:02:12
davdud101
I love mono mixing. It gives a strong sense for how well my mixes translate to open-air playback (since I mix a lot in cans)

I've also experienced that working in mono can help with editing when two similar-but-distinct stereo tracks are played at the same spot in the stereo field and then you can really hear if they actually conflict timing or pitch-wise, for example.

The best mixes I've heard almost feel stereo when put in mono because they're so well-mixed... just so deep and alive!!
2018/11/13 22:21:42
batsbrew
yea, checking in mono.

mixing, no.

2018/11/14 02:03:17
Chandler
It’s usually used because you can hear problems more easily. Its also helpful to know if your mix sounds good in mono. Mono listening is more common than you might think. Phones and tablets are usually mono, so if your vocal drops out when someone is showing their friend on their iPad that isn’t ideal.
2018/11/14 15:29:23
davdud101
batsbrew
yea, checking in mono.

mixing, no.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose

I personally never do extensive multi-hour mixing in mono, but every once in a while especially when setting EQs and deciding on effects that are very L/R-critical like delays, wideners, etc. I like to see if they still translate well volume-wise in mixes.

Sure, not many listen in mono, but plenty of folks like to show people demo mixes on our phones or with mono or narrow stereo speakers where knowing how it sounds in mono would help
2018/11/14 16:13:51
batsbrew
davdud101

Sure, not many listen in mono, but plenty of folks like to show people demo mixes on our phones or with mono or narrow stereo speakers where knowing how it sounds in mono would help

i would surely never bother mixing a song with the intent of someone listening on phones!
hehh
you can't make any serious decisions listening on a playback system like that,
so why focus on it?

2018/11/14 23:57:08
davdud101
batsbrew
davdud101

i would surely never bother mixing a song with the intent of someone listening on phones!
hehh
you can't make any serious decisions listening on a playback system like that,
so why focus on it?

I just mean more as far as showing people songs I'm working on
But you do check your stuff in mono I guess bats? I don't mean sitting down for a serious mixing session purely focusing on making it sound good for a phone, no way, that'd be a waste of time
But since I don't carry around great speakers or have such a good one in my car for example sometime I like to show stuff just by playing back real quick on my phone.

On the other hand I still can attest to that taking 5 or 10 minutes while mixing to get rid of any EQ and stereo image-issues in mono has ALWAYS helped my mixes sound clearer, tighter, and more spacious - without fail! 

I think we're talking about the same thing but describing it differently 
2018/11/15 16:30:08
batsbrew
davdud101

I think we're talking about the same thing but describing it differently 

DAVDUD,
yea, same thing, different descriptions....

the title of the post says "mixing a mono track"

so my comments are strictly in reply to the OP.

i always check every mix i do in mono.
i even have a single speaker that i play it thru, to facilitate figuring out translation problems.

i have several elements in every single mix, that are mono tracks panned straight up,
effectively mono:
lead vox, bass, kick, snare, mono reverbs.

2018/11/18 16:54:56
Lynn
I realize most people don't listen in mono unless it's an accident.  Such as;  listening to a mix in a different room or listening from a distance.  Then all the elements in a mix narrow until stereo separation is impossible to discern.  Like Bat, I have an old Auratone speaker that I listen to in mono which emulates a mono radio quite well.  I have my main monitors in the center of my room, so one trick I use is to stand behind them and listen in stereo.  This helps to pick out parts that don't sound quite the same when listening direct, as well as hearing volume levels between parts.

It's funny, but people of different ages listen on different monitors.  I perceive that older people listen on speakers, while younger people listen on ear buds more often.  I use Mixchecker Pro for monitoring emulations of cellphones, pads, and laptops.  It helps a great deal.  In case anyone wonders if a mix can sound good in all situations, try most Steely Dan recordings on any monitor, and you'll be amazed at their consistency.  John, overall, you're mixing has increasingly improved in the time I've known you.  Keep asking good questions!  

2018/11/18 16:59:41
pwalpwal
Lynn
I realize most people don't listen in mono unless it's an accident.  Such as;  listening to a mix in a different room or listening from a distance. 

or listening through a phone's in-built speaker

my teenage kids' most common method i reckon

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account