2018/11/18 17:15:10
Lynn
pwalpwal
Lynn
I realize most people don't listen in mono unless it's an accident.  Such as;  listening to a mix in a different room or listening from a distance. 

or listening through a phone's in-built speaker

my teenage kids' most common method i reckon

It's funny, when I was growing up, the bigger the playback system, the better.  Now, it's miniaturization with both listening and viewing.  I suspect this will aid in the evolution of human ears and eyes ;)
2018/11/18 22:27:31
tlw
LynnI have my main monitors in the center of my room, so one trick I use is to stand behind them and listen in stereo.  This helps to pick out parts that don't sound quite the same when listening direct, as well as hearing volume levels between parts.

Walking into a different room and leaving the doors open can be a useful way to hear how a mix sounds when not hearing it directly as well.
2018/11/18 22:30:46
tlw
batsbrew
i would surely never bother mixing a song with the intent of someone listening on phones!
hehh
you can't make any serious decisions listening on a playback system like that,
so why focus on it? 

Some “audiophiles” regard headphones as the “purest” and only truly acceptable way to listen to recorded music. They often seem to be under the impression that’s how mixes and mastering are done.....
2018/11/19 14:12:28
dwardzala
batsbrew
i don't know anyone that listens to music in mono.

I think you'd be surprised.  Apart from the ambient sound I might hear in a restaurant or retail environment, I will listen to streamed music on a TV or from my laptop speakers which are really mono sources.  I suspect a lot of other people do too.

2018/11/19 20:48:22
batsbrew
tlw
Some “audiophiles” regard headphones as the “purest” and only truly acceptable way to listen to recorded music. They often seem to be under the impression that’s how mixes and mastering are done.....

then, they would not be audiophiles!

2018/11/20 10:57:58
Johnbee58
Lynn

It's funny, but people of different ages listen on different monitors.  I perceive that older people listen on speakers, while younger people listen on ear buds more often.   

That might be the case, but I'm 63 and music sounds best to me on headphones/buds.  I think with older people it becomes harder to wear those things or have something around their heads for an extended period of time.

JB

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account