• Hardware
  • Does anyone actually own a Sphere Microphone?
2018/11/21 13:58:32
DeeringAmps
Title says it all.
Damn, this GAS is killin' me...

T
2018/11/25 17:26:29
wst3
Yes, and it is, without a doubt, one of the best purchases I've made for the studio.

First off, it is a remarkable microphone, even without the software. It just sounds great on vocals, guitars, and even hand percussion. It is a little too honest on my mandolin, but that thing will rip your scalp off without a microphone<G>!

Second - the ability to do post processing can be a life saver if you are not working in a top notch space, probably even if you are. You can craft the exact sound you are looking for 4 times out of 5 - this doesn't mean you can ignore proper microphone placement, but it will solve a lot of problems.

And last - some of these emulations are frighteningly cool. I can't swear to the accuracy of the ELA 251 M, or the tube type U47, or others for that matter, but I can tell you that they add a touch of class, for lack of a better phrase. There are a couple that are very similar to microphones I own or have used often enough, and I mean really close. The Coles 4038 is especially impressive - how did they get a condenser element to sound like a moving ribbon???

The only place if falls short, to my ears, are the small capsule emulations, and I think that is a matter of geometry, and even though they don't sound "right" they still can sound quite nice.

It ain't cheap, but it is a very useful tool if you do a lot of recording. I am seriously thinking about getting a second one. I'll probably still be thinking about it this time next year, but I am thinking<G>!
2018/11/25 17:32:02
DeeringAmps
Bill,
Thanks for your input!
I have some pretty decent mics and pres, but gas is gas.
I'm teetering, couldn't get Sweetwater to budge on the price.
But I can respect that; so much of what we buy isn't "worth" the retail price because its on sale all the time.

UPDATE; I bit on this one, couldn't help myself!

I'm blaming it on you Bill, usually I tell my wife its all Ed's fault!

That and I had a colonoscopy this morning and was told I couldn't drive and shouldn't make "important" decisions.

I'm totally "covered" on this...................

T
2018/12/14 02:44:24
wst3
So.... whatayathink???
2018/12/14 05:39:21
DeeringAmps
So far so good. I don’t get the 180 “stereo” though. Or maybe I’m missing something.
It is on its own a fine microphone.
T
2018/12/21 02:12:38
wst3
DeeringAmpsSo far so good. I don’t get the 180 “stereo” though. Or maybe I’m missing something.

Not sure what you mean, if you want to pick my brain feel free.

DeeringAmpsIt is on its own a fine microphone.

I think that's what sold me - without the software it is a really nice microphone. I have toyed with the idea of getting a second one.
2018/12/21 15:07:42
DeeringAmps
I need to work with the "180" plugin some more. I think one of the youtube videos I watched described
it as "quasi" stereo. I had high hopes that I would get an almost "Blumlien Pair" effect with the mic offaxis
and the 180 plugin. Not really so much.
IIRC, the resulting recording (with the mic off axis) still yielded a lot more level in the left channel.
The track for the 180 demo they provide is pretty balanced, not at all left heavy.
Am I disappointed?
No!
And for a true "stereo" recording I can use the Sphere and any one of my ribbons or LDC's in a Blumlien
setup. I don't have two of anything, well 57's! :-)
Thanks for chiming in and keeping an eye on me, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.
I'll keep you posted.
T

2018/12/23 01:43:32
wst3
hmmm... are you using a preamplifier with variable gain? Have you tried the calibration procedure? There is a video, which if course I can't find at the moment, and a pretty well written one-pager HERE. I'll send the link when I find it.

As far as Blumlein - or any stereo configuration for that matter, matched microphones are pretty much the way to go, except sometimes using different microphones works well. I've used a TLM-193 as the cardiod microphone in an M/S pair with a bi-directional ribbon and with figure-8 patterns on LDCs. Sometimes it sounds awesome... sometimes, well, not so awesome.

The L22 works really well with a C414 in Blumlein, or with a TLM-193 in M/S.

Have fun!
2018/12/23 13:53:59
DeeringAmps
Actually I'm bringing the 22 into my UFX Mic pres so they are matched as per Townsend instructions.
I get the impression that for "stereo" the mic is rotated so the diaphragms are sideways not back and front.
I'll do some research and play with it. Maybe I have to add some gain to the right channel.
Typically for the Blumlein pair I use a Royer 121 and AEA 84; that has always yielded pretty good results.
I'll give the 22 and one of the ribbons, or as you suggested the C414, a try.
I was hoping for a "quick and easy" stereo track for acoustic guitar.
That's why I fell into using the Blum pair, easier than copying a track, flipping polarity; I'm lazy!
The good news, the 22 is very clean and accurate; thanks for steering me in that direction!
Take care Bill.
T
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account