• SONAR
  • WondaGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments
2017/08/08 19:19:12
dubdisciple
Although I find myself using Sonar less, I still love product and find myself suggesting it to others. One area I run into trouble is workflow for hip-hop production. I was giving a kid a tutorial on how to do gliding 808s in studio one and ableton and he asked how easy it was to do in sonar. Best i came up with was actually programming 808 type kick from scratch in a synth like Z3ta+. Is there anything close to the workflow of dropping 808 in sampler and turning on glide? I know most of you do little hip-hop production but tend to be helpful with tecuniques.
2017/08/08 19:44:22
bitflipper
Maybe you can link to a sample of the effect for those of us who have no idea what WondGurl is?

A thought: if you've already created a preset in, say, Rapture, you could just pass the .prog file along.
2017/08/08 20:17:40
dubdisciple
Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/reiZm2sTnXA

I could take rapture or zeta and create a preset, which literally is my work around but it's kinda clunky. So clunky i just open another program.
2017/08/08 20:47:32
whattarush
That's a simple "synth bass" patch that being controlled by a pitch shift slider/wheel type controller. This can be done in any workstation/sampler/DAW. The "trick" if you will is to program to control the right amount of pitch modulation in relationship to how far you move the slider/wheel controller and practice your movements to get it down right.
2017/08/08 21:39:10
Sanderxpander
Isn't the Roland Groovesynth still included? Did that leave with Roland? Plenty of 808s in there.
2017/08/08 21:44:10
dubdisciple
Thanks. that kinda works, but it's still a convoluted workflow option compared to ableton or fl.  it's kind of like using a third party filter to create wobble on a synth that doesn't allow you to modulate lfo via cutoff.  that wasn't best sample I could have used, but the technique I am referring to clearly uses and 808 (typically distorted) as bass instrument. in Fl and ableton, it is is literally 1, pick a good boomy 808 2. sample, drop on sampler. 3. turn up glide and release 4. draw on piano roll to exaggerate effect.  I appreciate the help and I never ask these type of questions to knock sonar.   I realize some DAWS just are better at some things than others when it comes to certain things, but always checking for equivalent ways to replicate features.
2017/08/09 17:56:36
Jon Downing [Cakewalk]
I was able to recreate this sound in Rapture or Rapture Pro without much difficulty.
1. Use "Initialize Program" in Rapture Pro to create an empty program.
2. Drag your favorite Wondagurl/DJ Spinz 808 sample onto Element 1.
3. In the "Perform" section of the Rapture Pro, set Voices to 0 for Element 1.
4. This will unlock the Glide knob for Element 1. Now, audition with some MIDI and tune the glide to taste.
I don't use FL much, but this gives me the same control over the 808 bend/glide that I would get with Ableton's Simpler.
DropZone would be a lot more straightforward/easier for a novice to grasp, but unfortunately it lacks the glide/portamento featue. On the other hand, Rapture gives you a lot more options...you could load up to six different gliding 808s in one program and blend them with independent filters, envelopes, etc.!

2017/08/09 23:14:20
dubdisciple
Jon Downing [Cakewalk]
I was able to recreate this sound in Rapture or Rapture Pro without much difficulty.
1. Use "Initialize Program" in Rapture Pro to create an empty program.
2. Drag your favorite Wondagurl/DJ Spinz 808 sample onto Element 1.
3. In the "Perform" section of the Rapture Pro, set Voices to 0 for Element 1.
4. This will unlock the Glide knob for Element 1. Now, audition with some MIDI and tune the glide to taste.
I don't use FL much, but this gives me the same control over the 808 bend/glide that I would get with Ableton's Simpler.
DropZone would be a lot more straightforward/easier for a novice to grasp, but unfortunately it lacks the glide/portamento featue. On the other hand, Rapture gives you a lot more options...you could load up to six different gliding 808s in one program and blend them with independent filters, envelopes, etc.!

Thanks. I will try this!!!
2017/08/10 02:37:40
dubdisciple
This actually works well once i remembered how to set release in Rapture.   Hmmmmm.  Although it's like using a sledgehammer to push in a thumbtack, i have to say it opens door for advanced options without having to leave plugin.  rapture may be my one-shot sampler of choice now when using Sonar.  i once thought the workflow for making trap in Sonar without using third party tools was too awkward, but I'm starting to rethink that. When i have free time and if i get around to upgrading to SPLAT, I want to get around to making hip-hop friendly tutorials for modern hip-hop production.  I have learned quickly how to be productive in modern hip hop techniques in studio one by watching a very good youtube channel and I'm not even a big fan of most of it. Some of the workarounds use don this youtube channel gave me a few ideas i could apply to sonar.  This method is not quite as clean as using fl, simpler or even sample one in studio one, but is arguably more powerful.

In any case, thank you.  Sonar easily has the best forum of any of the DAWs by far.
2017/08/10 02:44:56
dubdisciple
Sanderxpander
Isn't the Roland Groovesynth still included? Did that leave with Roland? Plenty of 808s in there.

I doubt that will work for this because it uses the 808 more like a wave cycle than a percussive element. It becomes a super sub bass with a percussive attack and booming tail, yet functions ,more like a bass than a kick.  Adding the glide gives the track a little more sense of movement . Thanks for answering though.  i appreciate the help.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account