• Software
  • your thoughts on guitar recording with IR's and impulses (p.2)
2017/05/18 14:58:48
smallstonefan
I use a Fractal Axe FX II and their cab lab product. I've built a few of my own IRs by combining and tweaking some I've bought.

It's another rabbit hole though...
2017/05/18 18:24:18
Jim Roseberry
smallstonefan

Certainly can be...
That's one of the reasons why I think it's advantageous to create IRs of your favorite cabs.
You already know you like them.

I had a MESA Cab Clone.
It was ok...
I much prefer the sound of good IRs.
2017/05/18 18:41:13
bapu
Hey bats,

Are the blue guitar cords the best?

At least they do compliment the yellow macacas.
2017/05/18 19:48:13
BobF
Hey Bat - A bunch of us have different stuff we use.  It would be interesting if you put up a dry, direct guitar track we can each apply our different tools to and post the results with explanations of what we used.  Doesn't have to be long or fancy.  By using your track, all other variables such as guitar, pups, amp, etc. are taken out of it.

Straight up direct with no spkr/cab/mic emulations or IRs applied.

2017/05/18 20:43:52
batsbrew
Jim Roseberry
smallstonefan

Certainly can be...
That's one of the reasons why I think it's advantageous to create IRs of your favorite cabs.
You already know you like them.

I had a MESA Cab Clone.
It was ok...
I much prefer the sound of good IRs.

rabbit holes.
i hear you.

i like the palmer sound, just fine.

i'm just looking at new options
2017/05/18 20:52:20
bapu
BobF
Hey Bat - A bunch of us have different stuff we use.  It would be interesting if you put up a dry, direct guitar track we can each apply our different tools to and post the results with explanations of what we used.  Doesn't have to be long or fancy.  By using your track, all other variables such as guitar, pups, amp, etc. are taken out of it.

Ya, that would be a fun exercise.

Along side a "bats approved fx/mix" of yer fav guit tone for that piece.
2017/05/18 22:19:35
batsbrew
bapu
BobF

Ya, that would be a fun exercise.

Along side a "bats approved fx/mix" of yer fav guit tone for that piece.

It'd be a fun experiment, for sure,
but i've got my guitar voice pretty dialed in,
i wont be messing with the tone generator side,
just the method of capturing it.

bapu:
man, blue tastes best of all!!
LOL
i'm lucky, i have a place 5 minutes from work:

they make me custom cables.
those are 16' mogami cables with neutrik ends, awesome cables, awesome price.
\
i have so many black cables, that now when i get new ones, i go for different colors.

2017/05/19 06:25:27
Chandler
I'm really happy using IRs. Easier than micing a cab and more option available. IIt also sounds better than when I miced my amp. Of course I'm sure a pro engineer could do better, but on top of that I don't have tons of nice cabs and mics lying around, so it lets me get a greater variety of sounds than I would otherwise.
2017/05/19 14:17:07
batsbrew
Chandler
I'm really happy using IRs. Easier than micing a cab and more option available. IIt also sounds better than when I miced my amp. Of course I'm sure a pro engineer could do better, but on top of that I don't have tons of nice cabs and mics lying around, so it lets me get a greater variety of sounds than I would otherwise.

thanks chandler.....

what hardware/software are you using, and how are you setting up your hardware?
2017/05/19 23:43:01
Chandler
I'm not using hardware just an amp sim. Of course I've heard lots of people use real amps and send that into their DAW with great results i.e. Pete Thorn. As for software unless you plan on using 4 IRs at a time I'd go with a free solution. If you do want to use multiple at a time MixIR is supposed to be good.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account